Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

I seem to remember seeing both white and black. White or black?

Last edited by iamdonquixote on Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Just my opinion and observation not from facts; all the original '67 Westy's I've seen where white wheel with plain black horn push.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
I know so42's had the wolfsburg horn button but white or black?

Pretty sure that was a Deluxe only horn button.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Just my opinion and observation not from facts; all the original '67 Westy's I've seen where white wheel with plain black horn push.

Agreed. My 67 SO42 has the same setup as well as others I've seen.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Strange because they came from Vw as kombis, which would have had black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Mine has an m-code that denoted it would be sent to Westfalia. I think when they got that m-code the white stuff went on and replaced the black stuff as well as paint inside here and there and other metal bits. Other Than Westys went to the camper shops in black controls.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
srfndoc wrote:
BarryL wrote:

Strange because they came from Vw as kombis, which would have had black.
Westfalias with white knobs/white wheel started around 62/63? I believe. Someone may chime in with a more accurate date.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Well our MAR62 SO-34 has white steering wheel and column.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

I believe it's silver white with a black button. Must remember they started out as a kombi
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Jake's low hinge 61 SO-23 has a black wheel:
This is normal for SO-23 and earlier Westies
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My April 61 SO-34 has white wheel/ column/ ebrake handle. I took this pic when Adam owned it and first brought it to a show in 2006.
In this pic it has wrong color ashtray and horn button. I think they were missing when Adam got the bus so he installed what he had handy.

The clock and gas gauge were additions a long time ago, not factory.

I think the change when Westys got white wheel/columns/e brake handle / shifter was probably when they started the SO-34 in mid 1961.
The outer ring of the horn button would match the wheel. But it is easy for horn buttons to get swapped around.

A normal kombi would have a black wheel, with black on black horn button. This is a 66, so white knobs.

66 so-42: has ivory shift knob, original was grey/white

67 SO-42 It has the black 67 & later dash knobs:

64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

my 1964 velvet green so33 has a black steering wheel
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

so did Westfalia remove the black steering wheels and replace them with white?
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

thanks, I have been wondering bout this as well. so mine appears to be 'correct' minus the turn signal housing (currently black).. was the steering lock an option or come with? Confused

71 Deluxe Bay
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

steering lock was optional for US, but standard for euro delivery. if yous was a tourist delivery, it would have the lock
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

I'm thinking that since they were mcoded as a Westy headed for Weidenbruck, VW kitted them that way even though they were Kombi's.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Col_Forbin wrote:
thanks, I have been wondering bout this as well. so mine appears to be 'correct' minus the turn signal housing (currently black).. was the steering lock an option or come with? Confused

Erik G wrote:
steering lock was optional for US, but standard for euro delivery. if yous was a tourist delivery, it would have the lock

I think this one was US delivered since it has the rarely seen "US COINS ONLY" label.

Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
so did Westfalia remove the black steering wheels and replace them with white?

I would expect that with the special paint code for a westy the factory painted the kombis for Westfalia (instead of grey inside like an earlier westy or regular kombi) and this also included installing the white steering wheel / column / hand controls.
I would think VW did not send the kombis to Westfalia with rear or middle seats either.

The bus with the steering lock above was a euro delivered SO-42 and M-coded for steering lock.

Col_Forbin, yes your colours for steering wheel+horn button, shifter + knob , ebrake handle + knob are right for an SO-42, though turn signal base looks like it was replaced.
Wrong screws for bracket from steering column to missing parcel tray.
and a few other bits missing.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
my 1964 velvet green so33 has a black steering wheel

Interesting!
from your gallery:
looks like the ebrake handle is white, though.

I like the foot rest.

64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

i got several boxes of parts, the white e brake handle was in one of the boxes, and was not installed when i bought the bus. half my friends say the steering wheel/column should be white, and other half say i have wrong e brake handle. go figure...
Col_Forbin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Steering wheel color 67' velvet green westy ? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

EverettB wrote:

I think this one was US delivered since it has the rarely seen "US COINS ONLY" label.

Smile

Hah, been debating switching it over to gasoline... need to figure out how many miles per nickel I get before I come to a decision..

mine is a tourist delivery westy so if thats the case than the column was switched out at some point...

Clara wrote:
The bus with the steering lock above was a euro delivered SO-42 and M-coded for steering lock.

but Clara mentioned the bus she posted was m-coded for a steering lock...(thanks!) my m-plate says tourist delivery but does not indicate steering lock so hopefully I'm in the clear there, I know those can get pricey.
71 Deluxe Bay

Last edited by Col_Forbin on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: