Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v starter
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mat195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:05 am    Post subject: 6v starter Reply with quote

can anybody tell me how much CR my little 6v starter motor will turn over assuming it's all in good condition. I'm hoping it'll cope with 8.0 cr, am I dreaming and what are my options while staying with a 6v setup?
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6v starter Reply with quote

it can cope no problem. the 1500-s type three had 8.5 and was 6 volt. get the red optima gel battery if you want it to spin faster. 800 cold cranking amps !
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v starter Reply with quote

sgmalt46 wrote:
it can cope no problem. the 1500-s type three had 8.5 and was 6 volt. get the red optima gel battery if you want it to spin faster. 800 cold cranking amps !

the 1500S Type 3 also had a different starter than a bug. Part number part number 311 911 021, .6hp vs .5hp. Seems minor, but use a bug starter on a 1500S dome piston type 3 and you will see the difference
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v starter Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
sgmalt46 wrote:

the 1500S Type 3 also had a different starter than a bug. Part number part number 311 911 021, .6hp vs .5hp. Seems minor, but use a bug starter on a 1500S dome piston type 3 and you will see the difference

did not know that. good to know .still think he is ok. we probably need more info on his engine. is it a 36 or 40 ? i assume so since this in vintage speed. stock cam? or something bigger. that will change the cranking cylinder pressure.. a red top optima makes a stock 36 turn like its got 12 volts.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mat195
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v starter Reply with quote

That's great info, thanks very much!

Looks like a red top optima and a type 3 6v starter is in order. Not really doing a vintage speed build, will be doing a 1600, dual 36 drla's and around 8-8.4 cr, with a 2280 cheater cam, but thought I'd ask here since you all are the 6v experts!

I'd love to do a vintage speed 40hp build in future though, now that Wolfsburg west and others are supplying some nice aftermarket heads, carbs, cams etc!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: