Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help with trans noise or
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

I should clarify. The cage was missing just one section of pals tic that was floating around in the nose cone. The rest of the broken pieces are like that to remove the bearing with my puller I made. Everything shifted fine and it honestly drove fine just the pitted bearing balls and missing one piece of the cage was making the noise.

I would have gotten to it after work today except for my last job of the day went 2.75 hours past normal quitting time. But I will let y'all know what happens.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

There you have it. Semi caged, rough balls.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Anyone have the torque specs for the nut that holds the bearing in? My Bentley is 68-73 and doesn't have that info

I got the new old stock SKF German made bearing in as well this morning. This bearing has a metal cage for the balls instead of plastic which looks great!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

It's been a while but I think it is about 42 ft/lb....... there is that lock washer you peen over too.

You will have to keep the main shaft from turning somehow. Like someone said, if the gear carrier was out of the trans case, you could take off the 1-2 shift fork and shift the trans in two gears at once....ie. say first gear and fourth.

A deft trigger finger on a 1/2 inch impact would do it too.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

As long as the nose cone is off you can shift the outer two rails. Pull on reverse and then push or pull on the 3-4 rail.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
As long as the nose cone is off you can shift the outer two rails. Pull on reverse and then push or pull on the 3-4 rail.

What about the interlock? I didn't think you could do that.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

The interlock only works on two shafts next to each other, you can move the outside shafts as the two interlocks can move into the notches on the center shaft.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
The interlock only works on two shafts next to each other, you can move the outside shafts as the two interlocks can move into the notches on the center shaft.

I'll have to check that out. The way we were taught (at a VWoA training center in San Antonio) was to use the turning tool fitted backward on the mainshaft (it looked like the center of a clutch disc with a spinning handle on it) to lock the main shaft to the shift fork jig. You could, as in this case, use the same tool on the pilot shaft inside the bell housing.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

This is how I managed to keep it all from moving when tightening and loosening the nut on the main shaft bearing. Kind of messy and crazy looking but worked out well enough to work
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the new bearing in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The trans is back and and shifting. Need to get the motor back in and take it for a spin
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

That locking system is funny as shit.....thanks for sharing.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Haha yeah I thought so too but it got the job done.
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Took it for a spin today and everything worked out great. The noise is gone now and the trans still shifts great.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

YEA!!! you put gear oil in it, right?

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

Oh yeah she is full of gear oil. Lubed up nicely
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

was the nose cone beat out from the bearing moving? GLADD YOU GOT IT GOING!!! now to get the lights back on in the house Shocked (wire on clutch disc) some tymes a little thinking can go a long way. I would however over fill it some, the fill plug leave the level below that bearing......why??? I dont know but I over fill almost a qt with no issues at all.I like lotsa lubrication....
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

No the housing for the bearing wasn't beat up at all. It was still tight enough in there that I could pick up the trans with my puller on the bearing. New bearing took a bit of force to get in but it went.
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:02 pm    Post subject: Main Trans Bearing Update Reply with quote

Is the O.P. still here ? .

I'm keen to see how this worked out, back in the 1970's we did this a lot and never had one fail .

I no longer know where to get the bearing puller we used and I'd like to do this on my '59 #113 as it's just now beginning to make noise but shifts perfectly and so on .

Any links to the tool or articles on removing this bearing ? .

TIA,

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asesapie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with trans noise or Reply with quote

It’s been a long time since that bug and I couldn’t tell you how or what I did short of the thread here. Sorry.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: