Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crank Case pitting
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dermechaniker50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Crank Case pitting Reply with quote

I am cleaning and inspecting an "AK" (1973) series dual relief case. Unfortunately, I do not know anything about the history of the engine. The main journal bores have been cut .020" oversize and the thrust journal saddle width has been cut to .040" undersize. the saddles look good, and the bearing shells are a nice tight fit. The lifter bores are quite worn and will need to be sleeved. The wear in the lifter bores appears to be caused by water contamination of the oil.
I have researched what can happen to these Mg-Al cases after long term exposure to water, particularly around the oil sump drain plate. This case shows no evidence of deterioration in this area. However, there is some pitting at the bottom edge of the cylinder bores and pitting on the outside of the case. The pitting is not deep and does not appear to affect the structural integrity of the case. I am imagining the pitting on the outside of the case may have been caused by road salt deposits. Is this pitting common on these 50-year-old cases?
I am seeking feedback on the suitability of using this case for building a "budget" daily driver. I have identified a source for sleeving the lifter bores and may have the cylinder bores cut for 90.5 mm jugs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Crank Case pitting Reply with quote

The case pitting in the cylinder registers doesn't look to bad. The cylinders will provide strength there.

Getting the lifter bores sleeved is a good idea.

For a budget build. It's likely not a great idea to open the cylinder registers to 90.5/92mm. At least with the condition of your case.

Clean the case well and remove all the remaining gasket material around the cylinder registers.
When you reassemble the engine, use RTV to seal the cylinders to the case. Those paper gaskets are not recommended.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Case pitting Reply with quote

Anything is possible this many years later.

Perhaps the motor sat outside and got filled with water,
But the oil in the sump saved that area?

Post up some pics?

What’s That Noise?!?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Crank Case pitting Reply with quote

these guys are closest to you for case work.
https://www.facebook.com/people/Keiths-Auto-Parts/100057385783161/
post up a few pics of the case issues, so people can comment on if it's an issue or not
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: