Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Wheel "Rim" Color
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

First off sorry if this has already been posted/asked but my searching pulled up nothing definitive. What colors did they use in '76 for the wheel's to be painted. My bus has silver/grey wheels but i've only really seen them painted white. Just curious about the colors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My bus is the Yellow one up front

"Growing older, but not up!"
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

My understanding is the wheel color changed from white (L581) to chrome (L91) when disc brakes came in 1971. Most threads I've seen usually end up having rusty wheels and the owner gets them painted or powdered white. Very few guys actually go back with the silver color (L91 chrome). It's very nondescript, you really don't even notice the wheel compared to white.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

My vote is to paint your wheels red, and your pop top green, and make your curtains hot dog colored. Then you can drive the hot dog bus. Laughing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

where L581 = Cloud White?

I'm interested because I need to paint the wheels and bumpers on my 1975 single cab, using the original color. How can I verify what that original color was?

Does anyone in Europe have a mid-70s pickup that has the original white wheels or bumpers? This truck was Light Gray L345, with some sort of white wheels and bumpers.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Ok so now the question is, are the wheels silver or grey?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/colorstype2.php

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/7678bus.htm

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=paintL91

http://store.phqchevys.com/oscommerce2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=575

Wheel disc: L91 chrome color

Last edited by Tcash on Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Not really a poll question.
They are L91 chrome color.

Good luck
Tcash
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

the poll was to get an idea of what people thought. I was asking the grey/silver because i'm colorblind and didn't know the color code. Smile

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Sure, L91 on the Westy. But what about on commercial vehicles? Some kind of white?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
the poll was to get an idea of what people thought. I was asking the grey/silver because i'm colorblind and didn't know the color code. Smile

A poll question would be like, "what color do you think I should paint my wheels"?

"What colors did they use in '76 for the wheel's to be painted. My bus has silver/grey wheels but i've only really seen them painted white. Just curious about the colors.
"

Your question only has one answer, L91 chrome color.

Your best bet is to have a paint supplier mix the L91 for you or buy it in paint cans.
I provided a link for the paint cans
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=paintL91

Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Sure, L91 on the Westy. But what about on commercial vehicles? Some kind of white?

Looks pretty damn silvery to me on my monitor. (clickety click, the pics get real big)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/1977_bus_uk.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

I don't know?
Tcash
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Looks pretty damn silvery to me on my monitor. (clickety click, the pics get real big)

Agreed.

Now, what about the bumpers? Pastel White, Cloud White, some other white?

Actually, though, I want to paint the bumpers in some rattle can color from Krylon or Rustoleum, since they require constant touch-up. So, what I am really looking for is a suitable rattle can color for them, but I see nothing useful in the rattle can color matching threads.
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

According to the brochure for 1971 that is on this site, it is white:

rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Hi. Some additional ideas for the DIY'er.

https://porsche356registry.org/article/151
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Does anybody have a Rustoleum paint name that goes with the Silver L91

THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
Does anybody have a Rustoleum paint name that goes with the Silver L91

I went with Duplicolor Aluminum followed with a clearcoat.

(got the idea from Colin)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
According to the brochure for 1971 that is on this site, it is white:

sorry, it is silver. Blow the photo up. FWIW I also had a 1971 back then and they came silver. VW called it chrome.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

I think the rear bumper in that photo may even be chromed. Could that be?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I think the rear bumper in that photo may even be chromed. Could that be?

all the ones I came across were white unless they had been custom chrome plates. The wheel caps in that photo look like a cross between the late flat style and the early half moons.

Regardless, buses are beautiful cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: