Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct Wheel "Rim" Color
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I think the rear bumper in that photo may even be chromed. Could that be?

all the ones I came across were white unless they had been custom chrome plates. The wheel caps in that photo look like a cross between the late flat style and the early half moons.

Regardless, buses are beautiful cars.

It's a clipper, there's trim on the bumper.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

So anybody have a color match for L91 Chrome? I called the local Sherman Williams Auto Supply and it'll cost $50 for two cans of paint just to refresh the wheels with Mad .

"Growing older, but not up!"
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

THall wrote:
kerian159 wrote:
Does anybody have a Rustoleum paint name that goes with the Silver L91

I went with Duplicolor Aluminum followed with a clearcoat.

(got the idea from Colin)

Dude, try this. It's probably the best answer you're going to get. Unless you wanna pay $50 for a couple of spray cans that are probably pretty close, just try this.

The only cheap thing on a VW sits behind the steering wheel!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Okay. Where do they sell this stuff? Napa possibly? Sorry for being cheap I'm on a very very tight budget.

secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
Okay. Where do they sell this stuff? Napa possibly? Sorry for being cheap I'm on a very very tight budget.

Oh, no biggie. When you a buy an ancient car that needs every freaking little thing on it re-done, you tend to try to save a buck. Ain't no thang.

Heard of 'Google'?

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=dupli%20color%20aluminum

looks like Advance Auto Parts, Wal-Mart, etc. carries it. So try your friendly local auto parts store, or suckle at the teat of your favorite nationwide mega-corporation, and enjoy! Oh, that tit-milk is tinted green from all the US Dollars its been soaking in!! yummy! lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
I'm on a very very tight budget.

should not have bought a 40 year old German car with many (if not most now) of the parts no longer available. If paint straps you, better carry a chair with you to sit down before asking prices on something. I am not being mean - it is just a fact of life around here how much more expensive bus parts have gotten the last 10 years. Wait until those 1976 heads start to loose a valve seat... .
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

I understand that. I'm not being cheap for any other reason other than I spent more on the bus lately than I should have and I need some paint for the wheels. I am very familiar with how much Type 4 heads cost as I've had to replace mine. Very Happy

cbaucom1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

[quote="SGKent"]
kerian159 wrote:
I'm on a very very tight budget.

I splurged the extra buck or two for Duplicolor Performance White Wheel paint at O'reilly's Auto Parts. It looks more right than the Rustoleum whites. Next year I'll have gotten over three years out of that can and I'm going to splurge for the Aluminum color. I just don't feel like taping my tires off again too soon.

I did my bumpers in Duplicolor Wheel Performance white too and I like they turned out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
So anybody have a color match for L91 Chrome? I called the local Sherman Williams Auto Supply and it'll cost $50 for two cans of paint just to refresh the wheels with Mad .

I think I'll go with the DupliColor, too.

Until recently, I've been a fan of the Sherwin-Williams Automotive line, but the clowns at the Albuquerque store have been so unhelpful, and have wasted so much of my time and money, that I am not dealing with them anymore. Evil or Very Mad

So, in this case, off-the-shelf DupliColor will have to do. Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I think the rear bumper in that photo may even be chromed. Could that be?

all the ones I came across were white unless they had been custom chrome plates. The wheel caps in that photo look like a cross between the late flat style and the early half moons.

Regardless, buses are beautiful cars.

There was a Bus in the late 70's that came with factory chrome bumpers. It was a maroon color with stripes as I recall.......I don't remember what they called it, some type of commemorative deal or something like the "Champagne" bugs of the same time frame.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

Powder coat Silver. $125 Done. Never more. Rattle can is a waste of time, effort and $. Do it right the first time then you won't have to rinse and repeat in 2.5 years when your wheels look like ass from the road. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:

There was a Bus in the late 70's that came with factory chrome bumpers. It was a maroon color with stripes as I recall.......I don't remember what they called it, some type of commemorative deal or something like the "Champagne" bugs of the same time frame.

yeah it was burgundy with stripes and there were only 52 ever made! Champagne doesn't sound right though, I think it was like, a red wine edition...? Idk
1970 Auto Fastback FI
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct Wheel "Rim" Color Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
rugblaster wrote:

yeah it was burgundy with stripes and there were only 52 ever made! Champagne doesn't sound right though, I think it was like, a red wine edition...? Idk

I remember doing the make ready on it......sounds like I should have bought it....I had no idea, I was a 20 something year old kid.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: