Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

middle seat clamp advice
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the clamps for their bus> I need a set for my 76 bus middle seat?

Aurel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Split-Bus-Rear-Seat-Hol...mp;vxp=mtr
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

those should work ok as long as they have the locating titty on it. the bay pates were stamped steel. as long as the T bolt is long enough it should work fine, as the aluminum block are a tiny bit thicker

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

The OEM ones had nuts and I'd be concerned about the strength of aftermarket:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

I'd avoid those Ebay clamps, they look like cast aluminum, you need forged steel like VW used or the middle seat becomes a projectile in a crash, they may not even hold up to a few big guys sitting in the seat and leaning back.

A 76 doesn't use floor plates, the seat sits directly on the floor, the mat has slots for the bottoms of the seat tubes to go in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'd avoid those Ebay clamps, they look like cast aluminum, you need forged steel like VW used or the middle seat becomes a projectile in a crash, they may not even hold up to a few big guys sitting in the seat and leaning back.

The Wolfsburg West clamps are forged, and extremely heavy. They feel and look identical to the original clamps I've used. They are also a few bucks more, but well worth it for safety.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

On my 1977 there are no plates under the seats like the 1971 had. Instead the floor is welded where the seat rails sit. Later bays do not require the plates. I don't know what year it changed. All you probably need for the 3/4 seat are 4 clamps, T-bolts washers and nuts. There are two sizes T-bolts and 2 sizes of clamps. I don't recall which the middle seat takes. If you have a full middle seat then probably 2 more.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The Wolfsburg West clamps are forged, and extremely heavy. They feel and look identical to the original clamps I've used. They are also a few bucks more, but well worth it for safety.

Robbie

Can confirm. If you don't need or can't find originals, these WW ones will work nicely.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
..All you probably need for the 3/4 seat are 4 clamps, T-bolts washers and nuts. There are two sizes T-bolts and 2 sizes of clamps. I don't recall which the middle seat takes. If you have a full middle seat then probably 2 more.

3/4 seat uses 6 clamp sets, 8 for the full-width middle seat.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Robbie

Nice link, I will go for these, thanks guys
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
titty

Hehe.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
titty

Hehe.

I think that is one of VDubTech's hot words... Smile That is how he zero'd in on it so fast. Smile
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

The clamps for the rear seat are shorter than the clamps for the middle seat, so no those wouldn't work.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

Combinations wrote:
Has anyone tried the clamps for their bus> I need a set for my 76 bus middle seat?

Aurel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Split-Bus-Rear-Seat-Hol...mp;vxp=mtr

I have seen these plates in person, they feel super light and I always felt like they are dangerous to use and would snap instantly.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
SGKent wrote:
..All you probably need for the 3/4 seat are 4 clamps, T-bolts washers and nuts. There are two sizes T-bolts and 2 sizes of clamps. I don't recall which the middle seat takes. If you have a full middle seat then probably 2 more.

3/4 seat uses 6 clamp sets, 8 for the full-width middle seat.

Not to resurrect this thread, but im trying to figure out if 4 or 6 clamps are needed for the 3/4 middle seat in a 70 bus.

My rubber mat has 6 small cut out squares that match the three seat rails so it appears it can use 6 or 4 using the outside rails only. I know i need the plates. I see ww lists 4 needed on the middle clamps. Then i see a pict of 4 on here then i see samwise say 6 are needed.

Heres a pict, my seat is slid back here.

So whats the deal?

70 T2 Model 221 *CARR FIRE Victim
70 T2 Model 231 *CARR FIRE Victim
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

Why do you say "Not to resurrect this thread"? You did, and that was appropriate. No apologies necessary.

You need all 6 clamps for that seat. Longer style clamps. If you cannot find originals, Wolfsburg West makes some nice sturdy reproductions.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

Can anyone vouch for the quality of this kit from ISP West?

https://www.vwispwest.com/211898825Y.html

tristanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

Yes has anyone used these with success?
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: middle seat clamp advice Reply with quote

tristanblue wrote:
Yes has anyone used these with success?

I wasn't too impressed with the quality to be honest. Ended up buying original VW clamps in the Classifieds.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: