Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Hi

I've had problems downshifting to 1st and 2nd that I've been assuming are synchro issues (tunnel case trans in Oct '56 truck), and finding reverse (gear shift feels and looks like it's gone in, but the gears slip until I give it another shove). Given the stop/start nature of UK traffic, that's getting to be a bit of a drag. Getting in to first quickly when lights change etc is difficult too, but Changing up and down through 3rd and 4th are fine.

Before I start thinking about getting the trans rebuilt, I thought I'd check the linkage and bushes. I was confused for a while as I can't find any bushes, but from comparing to this thread... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280623 ... I've worked out that I should have an M spring and a bush/cage, not plastic bushes.

Have checked underneath and the M spring feels fine (good contact with the front rod and no holes that I can feel), but the front bushing/cage where the front rod goes through the crossmember is mostly gone. It only has one finger.

The trans leaks a little oil through the nose cone bush, which I'm guessing is because the long shift rod is unsupported and has worn on the bush.

Will replacing that bush/cage help with any of the above symptoms? I've contacted Evam motors to get one of their repros, but is it worth getting two and adding one at the rear cross-member to further support the long shift rod?

Also, despite checking the throw out bearing when I pulled the engine, it's now developed a whine if I leave my foot on the clutch while idling in traffic. I've ordered a replacement and will fit it when I get a chance, but will that help with any of the above symptoms?

Don't want to send the trans off for a rebuild if it doesn't need it.

Thanks

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Have you been checking gear oil level and refilling as needed every 6,000 miles? Low gear oil can result in harder to shift gears.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Have you been checking gear oil level and refilling as needed every 6,000 miles? Low gear oil can result in harder to shift gears.

I haven't topped it up yet. Drained and refilled it last year although I forgot to check the level after driving it a little. It's done less than 1,000 miles since the refill though due to engine/fuelling issues that kept it off the road for much of last summer and it's garaged over the winter to keep it away from our road salt.

Will check the level tomorrow.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

My 58 has a tunnel case trans. I was living with sloppy shifting having only 2 of 3 fingers on the shift bushing. When one more broke, it was near impossible to shift or find reverse. A new bushing was like getting a new bus.

Like all things Volkswagen, everything needs to be in place, adjusted, and maintained to work properly.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Thanks. I've contacted Evam Classic Parts to order one, but I checked their website yesterday and it said they're away until early August Sad

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Well, I feel pretty stupid. I'd read the capacities wrong and had underfilled when I did the trans oil change and hub seal back in Oct '14.

I'd read the capacity as being 2.5 litre total, not 2.5 litre in the gearbox plus 0.25 litres in each RGB (3 litres total).

Topped it up tonight and it just kept taking oil. Not knowing how much I've lost through leakage, I've put one additional litre in and the level in the gearbox is a little below the filler.

Took it for a test drive and I can get reverse without difficulty and 2nd doesn't grind when I downshift. It's not perfect, but much more driveable.

Wow, I feel dumb Embarassed

I'm still going to replace that bushing though.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

We all screw up now and then.... Embarassed

Hopefully the damage to the transaxle is not too bad, but do figure the lifespan will have been shortened, by how much is the question. Always check gear oil level by the finger test thru the fill hole. After filling best to check this fifteen minutes or more later to let gear oil find its way down to fill all the lower areas. Do not just go by how much you put in.

Glad it was an easy fix. Take your time shifting, even double clutch if need be. That way if you are gentle on it for the next 6,000 to 10,000 miles the syncros will hopefully polish back out and become again a joy to shift.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
We all screw up now and then.... Embarassed

Hopefully the damage to the transaxle is not too bad, but do figure the lifespan will have been shortened, by how much is the question. Always check gear oil level by the finger test thru the fill hole. After filling best to check this fifteen minutes or more later to let gear oil find its way down to fill all the lower areas. Do not just go by how much you put in.

Glad it was an easy fix. Take your time shifting, even double clutch if need be. That way if you are gentle on it for the next 6,000 to 10,000 miles the syncros will hopefully polish back out and become again a joy to shift.

Thanks Eric. At least last year's engine problems meant I haven't put many miles on it since I underfilled. Will check the leven again tomorrow to see if it's settled.

When you hook your finger in the filler, how low is the normal level?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Normal full level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole. Not sure how far down from there that it is too low and damage happens. Not going to try to find out... Best to just keep it topped off.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

I've never measured to fill a tranny. It takes a bit less than a gallon, so I buy a gallon of gear oil. I fill the boxes as I spin the drum, it is full when it bubbles from the tube. Then wheels on and put it on the ground, and fill the center section till it is at the bottom of the fill hole. If it's cold that makes the oil thick. Check the level ~15 min later and top up as needed, till the oil just starts to ooze out of the fill hole.

6K miles is the book interval for checking tranny oil level. But that could be a really long time the way buses are often summer camping cars these days. 6K on a bus driven 10-12K a year is once or twice a year. A slow leak can drop the level and cause harm to the gearbox. If it's driven 1K a year and gear oil not checked for years and years and it gets low, that can kill a tranny.

It's probably good to make gear oil level a yearly spring check.

You should be good Smile

Did you check the steering box oil level? If it stopped dripping it's probably low. Wink
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Normal full level is at the bottom of the fill plug hole. Not sure how far down from there that it is too low and damage happens. Not going to try to find out... Best to just keep it topped off.

Thanks. I'll give it a little more tomorrow. My owners manual described it as 'somewhat below the edge of the filler hole' without describing 'somewhat', so I'd left it a little low.

I think I've also realised why I got the volume wrong. I've just noticed that the manual (dated Nov '56) says 2 litres in the gearbox.

This for a '65 says 2.5 litres... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/aug65bus/page73.jpg

So split case transmissions must have taken less oil. Still, at least I know now.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I've never measured to fill a tranny. It takes a bit less than a gallon, so I buy a gallon of gear oil. I fill the boxes as I spin the drum, it is full when it bubbles from the tube. Then wheels on and put it on the ground, and fill the center section till it is at the bottom of the fill hole. If it's cold that makes the oil thick. Check the level ~15 min later and top up as needed, till the oil just starts to ooze out of the fill hole.

6K miles is the book interval for checking tranny oil level. But that could be a really long time the way buses are often summer camping cars these days. 6K on a bus driven 10-12K a year is once or twice a year. A slow leak can drop the level and cause harm to the gearbox. If it's driven 1K a year and gear oil not checked for years and years and it gets low, that can kill a tranny.

It's probably good to make gear oil level a yearly spring check.

You should be good Smile

Did you check the steering box oil level? If it stopped dripping it's probably low. Wink

Thanks Clara.

Steering box stopped dripping a couple of months back, but that's because I followed the tutorial in the FAQs and changed the oil seal. Full on the inside, dry as a bone on the outside Very Happy

It wanders a bit though, so I have to constantly correct. All the ball joints seem tight, so I've got it booked in to get the tracking checked on Saturday. When I got it, the tyre profile was wedge-shaped (full tread on the outside and worn to the reinforcing on the inner edge). Hoping that the tracking is off and that'll fix some of the wander.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

You should still check your clutch pedal for proper play. Reverse should only be shifted into with VW at full stop and clutch pedal fully depressed, which will fully disengage the transaxle from the engine turning its input shaft.

In other words shifting into reverse as above should be just like shifting into reverse with engine turned off. Without either of the transaxle input or output shafts turning there is no way you can get the reverse to grind when shifting into it.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

It wanders a bit though, so I have to constantly correct. All the ball joints seem tight...

This truck originally would not have ball joint front end. Do you mean the tie rod ends by chance?

Wandering can also be caused by tight, dry king pins. Lift the front end off the ground and grease the heck out of them, drive it some, and repeat 3-4 times and see if that helps.

Also, the center pin or the draglink ends could be loose or worn and cause wander.

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Thanks.

nlorntson wrote:
This truck origionally would not have ball joint front end. Do you mean the tie rod ends by chance?

Yes, I meant the tie rod ends. Thought they were ball joints in there?

nlorntson wrote:
Wandering can also be caused by tight, dry king pins. Lift the front end off the ground and grease the heck out of them, drive it some, and repeat 3-4 times and see if that helps.

The whole front end was very dry when I got it. Have greased it all twice since I got it. Wouldn't hurt to do it again though. Need to have another go at one of the lower link pins anyhow.

nlorntson wrote:
Also, the center pin or the draglink ends could be loose or worn and cause wander.

Did the centre pin last year. Possibly the most satisfying job I've done on the truck. Drag link connections seem solid too - no slop or clonking that I can feel when I manipulate them with a big screwdriver. I gave them a quick check when I did the steering box seal.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Clara wrote:
.... Did you check the steering box oil level? If it stopped dripping it's probably low. Wink

Thanks Clara.

Steering box stopped dripping a couple of months back, but that's because I followed the tutorial in the FAQs and changed the oil seal. Full on the inside, dry as a bone on the outside Very Happy

It wanders a bit though, so I have to constantly correct. All the ball joints seem tight, so I've got it booked in to get the tracking checked on Saturday. When I got it, the tyre profile was wedge-shaped (full tread on the outside and worn to the reinforcing on the inner edge). Hoping that the tracking is off and that'll fix some of the wander.

Ya, I need to do that to my dripping steering box. I just top it up from time to time. Very Happy
The ends of the tie rods and drag links do look like ball joints, but we call them tie rod or drag link ends.

If the tracking aka alignment aka toe-in is off, it can cause tyre wear and wandering. The bus can also sort of dart from side to side which is unsettling.
After changing the tie rods or spindles it needs the toe checked. If it had uneven tire wear when you got it maybe a PO forgot.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

The whole front end was very dry when I got it. Have greased it all twice since I got it. Wouldn't hurt to do it again though. Need to have another go at one of the lower link pins anyhow.

You should take the link pins apart for a good cleaning and inspection. Especially if the grease is not coming out both ends of each link pin.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Relubed the front end yesterday. There is noticeable play in the lower king pin on the left hand side and adjusting the link pins didn't improve it so I've contacted someone over here who rebuilds steering assemblies. I noticed some play when I did the same last year, but I don't remember it being as obvious.

Should I get both done? The RH side makes a clonk if I lever the wheel up, while it's up on stands, but I there isn't any visibile movement, like there is on the LH side.

Still going to get the wheel alignment checked at the weekend. It's booked in and isn't that expensive, even if I have to get it done again after the assemblies are rebuilt.

Thanks

Andy

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Should I get both done? The RH side makes a clonk if I lever the wheel up, while it's up on stands, but I there isn't any visibile movement, like there is on the LH side.

Either take all the link pins apart yourself for a good cleaning, inspection and greasing up and inspect the king pins for slop, or have someone do it all for you. Good parts are getting harder to find so take care of the ones you have now.

You might get away with replacing one link pin and its needle bearings.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Early shift rod bushings and difficulty selecting/shifting gears Reply with quote

All done. That goes in the book of shitty jobs I don't want to do again.

Link pins, bushes and bearings were good, but one shim was missing, hence the 'source for early shims thread. King pin bushes were shot though. Really bad on the driver's side and on their way out on the passenger side.

Took me three evenings to get the steering assemblies buttoned back up 'cause I kept making stupid mistakes and having to back-track (forgot to fit the link pin dust caps before re connecting the tie rods, re-connected the tie rods but forgot to put the rubber caps back on etc).

It was hot and cramped in my garage and I was tired. Would probably have been less of a struggle if I'd disconnected the shock absorber.

Road tested this afternoon and it's definitely less sloppy and there's less play, so it was worth the struggle Smile . Going to try a faster run tomorrow to see if it's improved the stability at speed. Still going to get the tracking (alignment) checked though.

'Something' fell off with a clatter during the road test. All the nuts, bolts and grease nipples are still there though and all the split pins are in place, so I think I just left a spare washer sat on something. Scary moment though.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: