Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal?
180* Cool as can be. My car like it here.
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
190* Wramed up nicely
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
200* Running great.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
210* Gotta get that H2o outta the crankcase
12%
 12%  [ 10 ]
220* This is a good number. My car runs great here
29%
 29%  [ 24 ]
230* Really sweating a little here.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
235* Probably should pull over and have a look at things.
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
240+ I like it hot as hell!
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
300* My darg racer is right on the ragged edge of distruction.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 81

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rubbish. This memo was written by an Australian service manager 60 years ago. It has no relevance as to today's real world conditions. Plus the manager suggests that he references outside air temps. I didn't see that in the memo. But I'm old and blind in my right eye, so I may have missed the outside temp relation. It would be a great help to all of us if you posted this in the samba galleries instead of that crap site that gives me under pops every time I click a pic from that shit site.
The memo didn't come from Wolfsburg, so I choose to ignore this service managers drivel.
Thanks for your input.
Have a great weekend

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

someone who doesn't know, can't tell the difference between good advice and bad advice, FWIW. Thirsty Horses.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
someone who doesn't know, can't tell the difference between good advice and bad advice, FWIW. Thirsty Horses.

Can you please expand on this? I respect your opinions and advice, I'm just not sure where you are going with this post.
Have great weekend.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

The VW Official Service Manual states, SAE 30w only, 158 degrees at 2500 rpm.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

Ive never observed higher than 180 on mine with synthetic or semi syn oil.I think it's probably ok like that as I dont have any thermostat flapers doohickeys.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
1100* is hot for a head temp. Most VW drivers(with few exceptions) use oil pressure, oil temp and tachometer gauges. Some have no gauges at all. I know I didn't before this current car. And I didn't care very well for those previous cars. I drove them into the ground without a care in the world. Now I keep an occasional eye on the temp and pressure gauges. Just to have a little piece of mind while cruising down the highway or the back roads.
But again this thread is about oil temps not head temps. Thank you for your incite.
Have a great weekend.

I tell you if you measure your head temp you will quickly change your miss-guided mind
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

There's a ton of bad advice dished out on any forum. To an ignorant soul, it all looks the same as the good advice. And good advice looks like nothing special.

Another common situation is someone asking the same #)$*&#)& question over and over, until they get the answer they want to hear.

67rustavenger wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Can you please expand on this? I respect your opinions and advice, I'm just not sure where you are going with this post.
Have great weekend.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

For years I used Castrol dino products in my VW's. I have become convinced synthetic is the way to go. I have European cars that specify Mobil 1, so I use that in those cars.

I just read an article by Lake Speed Jr. who works for Joe Gibbs Racing. He was writing about PAO (poly alfa oleifin) oils and how they used Chevron-Philips to formulate a oil not commercially obtainable. He stated NASCAR teams routinely run at 280 to 300 degrees F oil temp in drafting situations using these oils. At crazy rpm's no less.

Mobil 1 produces a POA synthetic oil called Mobil 1 Extended Performance....it is made in a 10w-30 and has 800 ppm phosphorus and 900 ppm zinc.

I'm going to find some of this shit.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/oiling-syste...car-rules/

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

I just had a thought, about the temps at which oil starts breaking down, gets damaged: if the oil in the sump is at 235°F, what temp is the oil washing down the heads behind the rockers, when the head is at 350°F?

Can oil "take" short heat spikes, or is the damage quick and permanent?

I know nothing useful to this thread, just wondering out loud..
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

That is true. If the oil sump temperature is X degrees, the source of the heat(bearing journals, pistons, cam) will certainly be hotter.
Oil will break down, usually loses viscosity and get thin and builds up gunk, and the hotter it is the faster it will break down, so, it just won't LAST as long, needs to be changed out and topped off more often.

IMO, any oil on the shelves today should be able to withstand temperatures higher than a magnesium engine case can sustain long term, so, I don't think we need to go looking for high temp oil.
The VW at one time ran hotter than the average car, but I think that reversed about 15 years ago. Now we have the opposite problem, in some cases running too cool to activate the additives in the oil Shocked
or at least, those of us who prefer to keep them on the cool side are having that problem.

The type 4 engine case on the other hand, should be able to sustain much higher temps, and they did. In fact, the late 70's models would kiss 300f bone stock, and....well actually that did cause some problems, but, not with the case.

Oil companies say"90% of wear occurs at start up" which sounds important, but the majority of engines don't die of "wear", they die of thermal cycling induced stress and metal creep, which the oil can do nothing about. If you just kept it running and never shut it off they might last forever.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

Cars which are never shut down, like taxis, do last forever... interesting.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

yea, weird that water cooled cars have efficient cooling Very Happy I had my case up to 270*, I don't think T1 motors care if they're hot. They really only care if they're cold or under oiled. Then again I'm no professional, and these threads are usually useless.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

First off, are you SURE your device to measure your oil temp is accurate? If it is, and you're running dino oil, I wouldn't want to see the oil temp get above 220 degrees F. as a constant oil temp. If going up a hill it goes higher, and then back down, fine; but if your oil temp on a consistent basis running down the freeway at a steady grade and speed goes over this? I'd be concerned.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Rubbish. This memo was written by an Australian service manager 60 years ago. It has no relevance as to today's real world conditions.

It would be a great help to all of us if you posted this in the samba galleries instead of that crap site that gives me under pops every time I click a pic from that shit site.

so, you don't want to believe it, yet you want me to upload it...you're brilliant.....

this is why I seldom post over here anymore.... best of luck to all parties involved

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Rubbish. This memo was written by an Australian service manager 60 years ago. It has no relevance as to today's real world conditions. Plus the manager suggests that he references outside air temps. I didn't see that in the memo.

It would be a great help to all of us if you posted this in the samba galleries instead of that crap site that gives me under pops every time I click a pic from that shit site.

Another member posted this image here in the past so I edited the posts to link to the photo in the Gallery here.

From the letter:
Quote:
The following table gives temperatures under varying conditions, including outside temperatures -

I read this as the numbers listed include any outside temperature in the ranges listed.
It seems to me that outside temperature is irrelevant in determining what a maximum oil temperature should reach.
If my engine oil is hitting 350F I don't care if if it -50F outside, it's still a problem.

Anyway, it doesn't say what is a "bad" temperature, only what ranges you might expect to see on the gauge.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

I've read a lot of information about motor oil, both conventional and synthetic. Apparently, Group 3 base stock can be marketed in the United States as synthetic oil.....Further, there is no doubt Group 4 base stocks (poly alpha olefins) have much better high oil temperature performance. Since the problem I see, in my climate, is extremely high operating temps, it only makes sense to use PAO oils.

Apparently there are very few true PAO oils available in the U.S. Royal Purple, some forms of Amzoil, Red Line etc. There are some Euro spec brands such as Castrol that are actually made outside the U.S. and are actual Group 4 base stocks.... Those brands, while may be fine, are not widely available. The one I want to use is Mobil 1 Extreme Performance.......I am given to understand over half the NASCAR teams use some form of Mobil 1 PAO oil.......It is available in every chain parts store and every Wal Mart in the country. It looks to be about 25 bucks for 5 quarts.

I'm going to give it a try.

ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

somehow eye dont think the wally world mobile oil is the same stuff nascar is using in the race cars. and remember if your car isant a race car and sees the maint&oh so frequent oil swaps/changes you dont want to use a racing oil as it is not made for daily driver usage. find out what some big road race teams use and how often they change the oil&filter Wink and go through the motors.
the first 50000 miles on my 2028 I used mostly castrol full synthetic 5-20. nowdays I use a mix of quakerstate deffy&castrol,penisoil,mobile,valvoiline synthetic oils with the quakerstate the only non full syn ,it's a blend with zinc.at over 75000 miles now , 1 oil /filter change a year the oil is still looking very clean, it looks cleaner after a year in my bug than new oil looks in 3 months in my wifes honda witch get more often oil changes.I attribute that to the total seal piston rings&coatingsI use on the internal parts. in short use to oil that gives you that warm&fuzzy fealing.if cheep shit does it for you.. than use it. if racing oil warms your cockles than go fer it.if your motor dosent survive just blame it on the awesome power that the parts could not handle.
I do remember running mrs tuckers cooking oil in our dirtbikes when we had nothing else to run....I dont recall many isues Rolling Eyes
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:

yep, my friend has a Ford Escape with 400,000 miles on it, pretty much all freeway miles, It hasn't needed any major work. I bet it will make it to 500k
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
somehow eye dont think the wally world mobile oil is the same stuff nascar is using in the race cars. and remember if your car isant a race car and sees the maint&oh so frequent oil swaps/changes you dont want to use a racing oil as it is not made for daily driver usage. find out what some big road race teams use and how often they change the oil&filter Wink and go through the motors.
the first 50000 miles on my 2028 I used mostly castrol full synthetic 5-20. nowdays I use a mix of quakerstate deffy&castrol,penisoil,mobile,valvoiline synthetic oils with the quakerstate the only non full syn ,it's a blend with zinc.at over 75000 miles now , 1 oil /filter change a year the oil is still looking very clean, it looks cleaner after a year in my bug than new oil looks in 3 months in my wifes honda witch get more often oil changes.I attribute that to the total seal piston rings&coatingsI use on the internal parts. in short use to oil that gives you that warm&fuzzy fealing.if cheep shit does it for you.. than use it. if racing oil warms your cockles than go fer it.if your motor dosent survive just blame it on the awesome power that the parts could not handle.
I do remember running mrs tuckers cooking oil in our dirtbikes when we had nothing else to run....I dont recall many isues Rolling Eyes

Um, eye see a cuuplle of errers......I sed, "over haf thuh teems use SOME form of Mobile ! PAO erl"

And, Mobillle One Eztinded purfomance is not "racy" erl. jus ruglar earl.

ASE Master Certification
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What is too hot of an oil temp? What is considered Normal? Reply with quote

0 eye c. so da nacar's are usen extended oil now. ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: