Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Love the progress. I was thinking about getting that exact blaster. Interesting to see the evolution of how you use it. Thanks for posting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Love the progress. I was thinking about getting that exact blaster. Interesting to see the evolution of how you use it. Thanks for posting!

Thanks.
I am very happy with the blaster. Was going to get the larger one but glad I didn't. It's good for small jobs and I only do a bit at a time. Takes a lot of compressor to run a blaster though. Mine is not quit big enough to run the blaster steady. It's home built so not sure how it compares in size.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I'm enjoying the thread, thanks for the updates. I'm surprised there aren't more posts, impressive work.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
brettsvw wrote:
I can see why you want to change out dash.

Also the lower windshield frame needs replacing and my replacement dash has a good lower frame. Not sure if I will try to put it in as one piece or disassemble the frame and install one part at a time. Was toying with cutting the nose across about 2" down from windshield and butt wielding it back.

I would try to disassemble to keep from having butt welds in the A-pillars.

Not having a butt weld across the nose would save bodywork and time.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

brettsvw wrote:
sgellis wrote:
brettsvw wrote:
I can see why you want to change out dash.

Also the lower windshield frame needs replacing and my replacement dash has a good lower frame. Not sure if I will try to put it in as one piece or disassemble the frame and install one part at a time. Was toying with cutting the nose across about 2" down from windshield and butt wielding it back.

I would try to disassemble to keep from having butt welds in the A-pillars.

Not having a butt weld across the nose would save bodywork and time.

Wasn't planning on cutting the A pillars off, just splitting the skin up the front of the pillar. Butt welding the nose will definitely be time consuming... My concern with separating the windshield frame from nose skin on the new dash is damaging the bottom lip. I want a perfect seam when done. It is not a spot that can be fixed up with some filler and look as good as new... Well not easily anyway.

I will remove the lower windshield frame from mine first and see how it goes. If I can get all the spot wields drilled out nicely then it should be ok.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Just read your thread for the first time. Quite a big project! Glad you kept the bus all these years, many folks don't. Looks like you have all the skill and determination to complete it, keep up the great work!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Just read your thread for the first time. Quite a big project! Glad you kept the bus all these years, many folks don't. Looks like you have all the skill and determination to complete it, keep up the great work!

Thanks. Got to the point that I was going to sell it if I didn't fix it. Also knew if I sold it I would likely never own another. Family convinced me to go ahead this year. Guess they realised how much I loved it. I find working on it very therapeutic. Can't wait to do some road trips with the wife. Decided to do a camper conversion. Not sure if I will purchase a set of old cabinets, build a replica or design my own conversion. Leaning towards a replica at this point...

Should have done this years ago Smile
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

I just stumbled into this thread. I like the way you roll. Sand blasting things will make it so much easier when you start the welding process. I'm looking forward to watching you progress with this restoration. The bus was lucky to find you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545030

Have you seen this thread? It has to be one of my all time favorites. Similar scope of work though his was a single cab. He did an amazing job.

Keep up the great work!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545030

Have you seen this thread? It has to be one of my all time favorites. Similar scope of work though his was a single cab. He did an amazing job.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks. That is a great thread. Just spent the last 2 hours going through it for a third time. Not sure I will ever get through all the build threads on this site. There are some great ones here. Lots and lots of inspiration and so much valuable information.

Started with a nasty cold yesterday Sad so will be spending most of my day here reading... I can think of worse things to do Smile
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Picked up some parts for the blaster. The tips and block wear out. Got a spare valve also. They are cheep.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

The glass grit works very good the second time around. Still not much dust in the air.

Rolled it on its feet to get some sand out of it. Probably 50 lb ran out.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Looks nice and clean.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Decided to split the block. Glad I did. It was a mess inside. Everything seams in great shape though. Quite happy with it and now I don't have to worry about its condition.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

If I split the case I replace the main, cam rod bearings unless they are in perfect condition... and I've never ran into that scenario yet. Nice clean engine rebuilding environment you have there... Razz

Nice work so far. You may want to consider removing the word "partial" from your thread title though with all the work you're doing.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Joey wrote:
If I split the case I replace the main, cam rod bearings unless they are in perfect condition... and I've never ran into that scenario yet. Nice clean engine rebuilding environment you have there... Razz

Nice work so far. You may want to consider removing the word "partial" from your thread title though with all the work you're doing.

They seem very good. I think this is a low mileage engine. I only plan to run it one summer like that to get a feel for the bus and what I want. Thinking of building something like 76mm stroke x 88 pistons, single port and keep the original look. Then getting a taller 4th for highway driving. Its getting a camper conversion and we want to do some long distance trips so more torque and lower RPMs would be good.

That crap on the floor is wood shavings for soaking up all the sludge that ran out Smile

And yea, I think this is developing into a full restore...
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Had a few hours today so did some blasting that needed done so I can start the metal work. Lower B pillar, clutch tube and bottom of side ribs. Since I had a mess anyway I blasted a rear wheel well also.

Hopefully tomorrow I start rebuilding.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Picked up a small shear. Screwed it to a 2x6 so I could cut some pieces off the large sheet. It is a little difficult to cut a large piece without deforming the edge. Shear works well clamped in the vice for small parts.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Had some time today so patched a hole. Didn't come out as well as I hoped. Next one will be better. Tomorrow I hope to start adding some parts.

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi partial restore Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Looks pretty good to me.

Agree... looks good.

What I recently started to do is not wait till it's all welded before grinding it all down. I tack the piece in place with several tack just the way you did then grind those tack welds down flat. Weld more tack welds then grind them down. Repeat till there's no more holes. It takes a little longer but the process creates less heat (less warping) and it's easier to grind down several small welds rather than one large weld. I use those flap discs so it makes them last longer as well.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 50

Jump to: