Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
My BN4 fuel filter glass is bad. Bit disappointed…

You could wet sand that down. That would take a while, and possibly if it would then be too small for the seal area due to the taper or the filter inside.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

You could wet sand that down. That would take a while, and possibly if it would then be too small for the seal area due to the taper or the filter inside.

That would take longer than I would like. But maybe I could grind it down first...
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

That would take longer than I would like. But maybe I could grind it down first...

Its a very common part. Just buy one.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

You are taking all the fun out of it... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
notchboy wrote:
sgellis wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
sgellis wrote:

You are taking all the fun out of it... Smile

Brother those leak on a good day. Do yourself a solid and get a nice one and pick the rubber out of the filter side and put a new o-ring in. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Picked up a few more bits.

Rubber block for the hatch striker. Hatch doesn't latch quite as nice as without it. I have to push it to latch. Maybe it will get better with time.

Rubber blocks for seat backs. Not very useful when the spare is too wide.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Picked up a few more bits.

Rubber block for the hatch striker. Hatch doesn't latch quite as nice as without it. I have to push it to latch. Maybe it will get better with time.

Did you apply a little grease to lubricate those latching surfaces. Lubrication helps to make surfaces slide together easier.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Earlier latch, but same applies:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541210&highlight=deaf
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Today the hatch shuts great. Guess it just needed a little time for the block to take shape.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Need to repair the BN4 air intake pipe. Pipe is solid despite the deep pits in spots. Flange is mostly missing though.

Took 20 gauge steel and drilled a 5/8" hole. Found a pipe with ID close to the OD of flange. Filed the inside edge of pipe round. Started driving sockets through hole in steel untill it was the correct size. This was just a test but turned out good enough to use.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Nice work! Do recommend replacing the rusty pipe though.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Got the welder fixed so started the rear bumper. 37 year old Miller Matic had 2 diodes go bad so replaced all 4.

Overriders have the ends rusted bad. Found some pipe with the correct size to replace the ends. I slid sockets in the pipe, put it in the vice and tapped in the indent. I will fix them up once they are welded. Fitted the end but will likely need a little adjustment once assembled.

Was going to start on the new engine but decided to get new connecting rods. I had planned to change the wrist pin bushing but that turns out to be a complex job and no local machine shops I would trust.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Went through my stash and found enough parts to make a set of thermostat flaps for the new engine and some nice tins. I have a shroud on its way. The two I have are very rusted.

I am hoping not to steal parts from the old engine so once it gets rebuilt it will be a quick swap if needed.

matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Impressive of the over rider ends...
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Fitted the rear bumper tonight. Wasn't sure it was straight as it, the brackets and splash pans were bent badly. Bolts lined up and it is level so must be the correct shape

I didn't make the upper splash pans holes when restoring so marked them. I will touch up the paint after drilling.

Now I need to replace the bumper tips with correct slash. The pointed ones are rusted bad anyway.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I now have a slash bumper.

I measured the width and position of splash pan bolt before starting. Used the overrider hole as a guide to cut. Cut them 1/4" long and fitted them. Good thing as on side had the overrider hole 1/4" different then the other. They are the same now.

Still have some holes to fix and thin spots to replace. Also think I will remove the brackets to fix them. Will allow me to clean out the rust behind them also.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Managed to get in the shop for a bit today. Replaced the overrider ends. Used the best one to get the size correct. Tacked together and assembled the bumper before fully welded.

Still have some holes in the bumper to weld in and need to replace a bit behind the override bumpers. Also rebuild the mounting plates.

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Killer save.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Great job on that bumper!

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Bit more on the bumper today. Patched the thin spots. Bit of a pain getting the patches just the right curve.

I thought the override bumpers I got by Wolfsburg West looked a little sharp. Compared them to my original front ones and they are very different. That can not be unseen. Think with a couple cuts I can reshape the tops though. Will go dig out my rusted ones and see how good the tops are also. Rest of the bumpers look great and fit perfect.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 50

Jump to: