Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Spent some time blasting some parts today. Think I have everything for the new engine now

Air filter I got was perfect inside so just blasted the outside. I couldn't remove the flap as the plastic clip was melted and couldn't be removed without breaking it.

Doghouse shroud has a tube on the right side that I forgot about until I painted it. Need to decide if I'm removing it or getting a cap. I blasted a manifold also but needs the preheat tube cleaned.

Finally got the bumper brackets blasted. Probably won't get the bumper on this season but just needs a couple days to be ready for paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Gas tank back in with a new sender.

Transmission stack installed. Shifts and spins nice. Forgot to lookup the torque specs so didn't get any more assembled.

Also found a working 12v starter in my stash I forgot I had. I will pull it apart and clean it though. Installed the 6v to 12v starter bushing. The old 6v bushing was very bad.

Hopefully this thing will be on the road in two weeks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Transmission together.

All went well except I had the reverse gear on backward so it rubbed the diff.

Shift boot has two rips in it. Not much point in replacing it if they only last a couple years. I put it on with the rips down. They will stay together when the coupler is on and keep most of the dirt of the shaft.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I got my shift boot, bowden tube boot and heater cable seals from Wolfsburg West. Less than a year later they all fell apart and fell off. Junk!

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Assembled a starter. Decided to just assembled the good parts and leave the good starter to cleanup later.

Difficult getting the cable to reach the solenoid. That starter motor had a short fat solenoid.

Getting the ring over the clip was fun. Finally set up some vice grips so the ring was forced up and taped the clip in with a small flat screwdriver. Tools vent flying but worked. Must be an easier way to do that. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I want to put on seamless axel boots as my split boots would always leak when the bus was jacked up. Took a quick try at putting one on and couldn't get it all the way. I will look around for tricks for installing these.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422019&highlight=seamless+boots

Make sure that there are no sharp edges on the axle flange!
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

By hand as in the video didn‘t work for me Shocked
You can soften the rubber by heating it in boiling water or a heat gun and then follow the procedure as described here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Did work quite well for me!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

swiss_bulli wrote:
By hand as in the video didn‘t work for me Shocked
You can soften the rubber by heating it in boiling water or a heat gun and then follow the procedure as described here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Did work quite well for me!

That worked perfect. I filed the axel tube where it was sharp. Smeared some gear oil on the boot and slipped it on with two screwdrivers. Didn't heat the boot at all.

I will clean up one of the old split boots and keep it in the bus incase one of these fail when we are traveling. I would think it would loose a lot of gear oil if they split.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Transmission ready to install. Would have put it in but it's hot and 100% humidity.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Transmission in. Much easier with the platform on the jack. With the buss assembled and interior in I was able to jack up the spring plates to aline the bolts. Last time it just lifted the bus.

I had one spring plate bold I couldn't start before so run the tap in. Found a bolt was broken off deep. Bolt would go in and bottom out before tight. Cut 1/4" off the bolt and torqued it. Better than no bolt. If I had known I may have tried cleaning out the old bolt before assembly.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

All together. Just need to adjust the brakes... And just remembered I didn't bolt the shocks on. Smile

Installed adjuster clips. There didn't seem to be any groove for the clip in the adjuster block. Used a triangle file to make an undercut. Seemed to work. Clips seem to long but are affective anyway.

Edit: almost forgot. Had a scare when the left axel was binding. Though the fulcrum plates got out of position. Turns out I forgot to seat the axel in the bearing and install clip so just needed to remove the reduction cover for a quick fix.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
All together. Just need to adjust the brakes... And just remembered I didn't bolt the shocks on. Smile

Installed adjuster clips. There didn't seem to be any groove for the clip in the adjuster block. Used a triangle file to make an undercut. Seemed to work. Clips seem to long but are affective anyway.

Edit: almost forgot. Had a scare when the left axel was binding. Though the fulcrum plates got out of position. Turns out I forgot to seat the axel in the bearing and install clip so just needed to remove the reduction cover for a quick fix.

Not to sound like a dick, but are you going to clean and paint any of this stuff? You just spent an insane amount of time, cutting little bits of metal, making one good from there bad, welding, painting, woodworking some amazing one off cabinets to stop at installing ugly, greasy brakes?

Am I missing something? Confused

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Not to sound like a dick, but are you going to clean and paint any of this stuff? You just spent an insane amount of time, cutting little bits of metal, making one good from there bad, welding, painting, woodworking some amazing one off cabinets to stop at installing ugly, greasy brakes?

Haha. Just dirt. Still paint under the dirt. I live on a long dirt road and this is for driving. I could clean the dirt all off but it will look the same in a week. The only grease is on the adjusters.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Haha. Just dirt. Still paint under the dirt. I live on a long dirt road and this is for driving. I could clean the dirt all off but it will look the same in a week. The only grease is on the adjusters.

I was going to ask as well if they were already done in a post back that I forgot. Confused Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Back on it's feet.

Somehow lost a screw from the shift coupling. I loosened them and stuck it on the shift rod. At some point one decided leave. Looked everywhere except where it went. Made another for now. Maybe the missing screw will turn up.

Clearanced for 12v flywheel. I set the flywheel in transmission and tapped it with my hand. That left marks so I could see where to cut. Used a new 1/4 grinding disk so it would cut flat. Only 5 spots that needed cutting. Took a little at a time and set flywheel back in untill it set in place without hitting. Will still rub but that will be taken care of by turning engine when it goes in.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Found some wiper shaft caps on a 59 SC I recovered. Finally getting around to installing them. Had O rings just the right size. Put some grease on the shaft and screwed caps on. Shafts are in bad shape but this should make them last a bit longer with less water and more grease.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Case together today.

End play measures .0026 with 3 shims and it seams I have nothing but .010 shims. Don't see thinner ones available. I have a .010 steel flywheel gasket so could use that and go with thicker shims. Hoping for .004 end play.

Need to do a little research to see what I should do.

Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Case together today.

End play measures .0026 with 3 shims...

End play should be .0027" to .005". You're soooooo close...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I've been in that situation before, sweating it trying to make the spec on end play, .0026" is quite close. Without going through a lot of typing here, if you're sure about the number you have there then go with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 46 of 50

Jump to: