Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I have a trans case on it's way so don't need to cut my spare transmission to make a shift fork jig.

Been very hot and humid here so thought I would pull the engine today and transmission tomorrow. 10 minutes later the motor was out so figured I would start on the transmission... And then it was out.

Got to see how much the 12v flywheel clearanced. Actually very little. I had already taken down the 5 high spots so didn't take much to clear the rest. Would be easier with two people so one could turn over the engine while the other tightened the bolts. Once I had to back off one bolts as I went to far and couldn't turn the engine over. Made a bit of noise when first starting the engine and first few revs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Been very hot and humid so not doing much in the shop.

Trans is ready to reassemble. I had the 3-4 slider in backwards and 1-2 shift fork out of adjustment. Removed 4th engagement hub and removed the 9 large teeth. I will put it back on 3rd so everything should work well.

Big thanks to Dougy Dee for a old case marked for cutting. That will get 1-2 fork in position.

Removed the front drums and inspected the brakes. All good, just needed adjusting. I wanted to make sure the steel line was not wearing against anything.

Rotated tires. They only have 7000 miles and are 1/2 woren. Rears wore more than front. Was going to rotate in the spare in but just going to keep it new and get 4 tires next year. Plan to realign front with it loaded for camping. Originally aligned empty.

Hubcap back showing slight rust around edge the sprayed with Rustcheck before going back on.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Transmission together and ready to go in. Took a bit to get the forks just right.

I had the trans on an engine stand and was thinking it would be a lot easier to install the stack if it was on its end. Was about to remove the trans from stand when it occurred to me that I could just tip it back. Smile Worked perfect.

Tomorrow I will get everything in and try it out. I'm quite confident that it will be good this time.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Transmission back in and it works perfectly. Very happy. Smile

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Wow.
On the pinion side what attaches yours. The ring and pinion backlash remained set from before?
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Wow.
On the pinion side what attaches yours. The ring and pinion backlash remained set from before?

4 bolt pinion. I didn't change 1-2 gears or pinion bearing as they were good. So no change to the pinion. If I needed to change the pinion bearing I think it would need adjustment.

I plan to rebuild my spare trans so may end up needing to get setup for setting backlash.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Transmission back in and it works perfectly. Very happy. Smile

Congrats on getting the transmission back in and working! But uh... is that a lifted Yaris in the background?!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:

Congrats on getting the transmission back in and working! But uh... is that a lifted Yaris in the background?!

Haha... my daily driver. It has a hard life. 2" lift and 215/75r15 KO2's. Had to cut off quite a few bits to clear them but love it. +10" clearance has made it much easier on the underneath and surprisingly capable for a 2WD.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Took the bus to work this morning. First normal run with new engine. The 1600 defiantly has more power than a warn out 1500. Especially a warn out 1500 with only 3 working cylinders. Smile Very smooth also.

Did have a little excitement when the coil + wire fell off half way to work.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

The Yaris is amazing, I love it!!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Went for an icecream run with a bunch of muscle cars. Gave the bus a good workout. Smile

New engine working great with 200 miles on it now.

After icecream we got a cloud of blue smoke out the exhaust at start. Cleared up once on the road. Bus working great and engine oil is full.

Then I remembered I have an oil bath air filter now and we parked on quite a slant on the side of the road. Also I think the filter is a bit fuller than it should be. When I first put the filter on it made a good cloud of smoke. Anyway, I will keep an eye on the oil.

On the more relaxing ride home we received this photo

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Fuel gauge works Smile Need to get a needle or another gauge but I can use it.

I put a new sender in the tank and it didn't work but had no idea if the gauge was hooked correctly. Flipped the wires and it pointed directly to the empty mark.

Today I filled it, 30L, and it points to full, mostly. Is it common to read empty with 10L still in the tank?

This will be nice to have. Only getting 20 mpg with the new engine but lots of short runs and around town so expect better when traveling.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Photo copied from Facebook. That was on my way home from work today. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

300 miles on the new engine and transmission and they work great.

Changed oil. Discovered I need to remove the filter and let that drain first. Haha. Cut the filter open and no shiny bits. Smile

Checked the alignment and it was dead on. Link pins are a little lose but play went away after greasing everything.

Installed a 67 master cylinder. Figured the brakes are 3 years old and it would be nice not to lose all the brakes if something goes wrong. They feel much nicer now. Still have to push hard for quick stops but seams smoother or something.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

3 days into a little trip. 1000 km so far. New engine is great.

Seems like just the right power for a bus. Very seldom have to shift on hills. We cruise between 70 and 90 kph most of the time. Did a few bits of highway and can get to 100 kph relatively quickly but on the steep hills it drops back some. We try to stay away form highways so not a problem.

Also getting around 10 L/100 fully loaded so happy with that.

The plan was to build a stroker but the 1600 sp works so well for us that I won't bother.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Checked the alignment and it was dead on. Link pins are a little lose but play went away after greasing everything.

Haha, I love the angle iron alignment indicator. I always use a two 6X6 blocks, stacked and pushed up beside each front wheel. You guys up north always take it to the next level! Laughing Laughing Laughing
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Dug into the old engine today. Going to rebuild for a spare.

Block and crank haven't been cut and look good. Just need to find someone to line bore, thrust cut and grind the crank.

Lifters are warn out but cam looks usable. Rods usable alao. Rings had a surprising amount of ware for 7000 miles and one was broken. The pistons were not great when rings were put on so maybe that had something to do with it. Will get a new cylinder set anyway.

Number 2 head doesn't look well. Haha. 1000 miles without an exhaust valve didn't help. I will clean it and see if the nick in the seat can be ground out. It was very small so maybe. I might get setup to replace guides and grind seats. Expensive to do correctly but would be nice to have the ability.

The plan is to build as a 1600 sp and have it fully assembled for quick swap if needed.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Another season gone. The roads got salted this week.

Normally I would spray Rust Check around the potential rust areas but I had a can of Fluid Film within reach. Around the bottom is still seeping rust check so no need for more.

Parked for most of the winter. I will bring it up to the shop to do some work on it in early spring. We want a very early start next year.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

How does this work? Please explain.

Burlyhammer wrote:
sgellis wrote:

Haha, I love the angle iron alignment indicator. I always use a two 6X6 blocks, stacked and pushed up beside each front wheel. You guys up north always take it to the next level! Laughing Laughing Laughing

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
How does this work? Please explain.

Check that angles are laying flat to tire and not setting on raised letters or something. Straighten the steering by eyeing down the angles to rear wheels so they are the same.

You measure the distance between the angles at front and rear. These are 56" long so distance difference is twice that required for 28" tire.

Then adjust untill difference between front and rear of angles is correct for proper tow. Actually quite easy and accurate once you get the hang of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 50

Jump to: