Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Getting the bus ready for a camping trip.

Noticed a headlight has been fogged up a lot. Took a look at it has water setting in it. I just lossened the screw enough for it to drain. I did stick something up the drain hole but got resistance. When I have more time I will remove and clean everything and see what is blocking the drain.

After 4 years I finally installed the plate light boot. Was a pain but got it on eventually.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
You may want to add one of these:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111129000

I need to find one for my 54. Actually I think I have one in my stash. I will see how it will work on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Do you mean the little metal line inside the drum wore through?
Scary, that can be dangerous if it fails.

The linkage might be sticking and need a spring because it goes on the outside of the J-bracket.
Like this

Yes. One in the drum. Strangely, I took off the drums 4000 miles ago specifically to check for this and there was no indication of contact.

Interesting. I didn't know they went on the outside. Thanks. Next time I am under there I will change it. Don't think it will make a difference though. I think the return spring on the carb is weak.
You may want to add one of these:
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111129000

I've never liked the feel of the accelerator using only a carb spring. It just never feels strong enough, plus it accelerates (no pun intended) wear on the side of the carb where the spring attaches.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

The linkage might be sticking and need a spring because it goes on the outside of the J-bracket.
Like this

Yes. One in the drum. Strangely, I took off the drums 4000 miles ago specifically to check for this and there was no indication of contact.

Interesting. I didn't know they went on the outside. Thanks. Next time I am under there I will change it. Don't think it will make a difference though. I think the return spring on the carb is weak.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Like this

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Car show yesterday and had a hot drum on the way home. Very hot drum actually.

Both cylinders stuck on the right. Believe one was stuck for awhile and just not working. Other came out easily and just needed cleaning. Other wouldn't come out and then I see fluid dripping from the left side. Brake line had worn through from the drum. I had checked it a couple years ago and no wear then. Once line was change I was able to push the suck cylinder out and clean it.

One link pin was loose so adjusted and tightened. Greasing the front takes the slack out of the king pins... going to need to do them in a few years.

Added a return spring to the accelerator. It didn't return to idle well after the boot was added. think I may need to adjust the idle up now.

New wiper blades. Old one got hard and were definitely more worse than when new. Smile These are C&C from CIP1 and seam to be much nicer than the Wolfsburg West ones I had.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Storm tomorrow so putting the bus away today. Been a nice fall for the bus and could probably get another few weeks...

Rust checked all the seams and inside the bottom structure where I could. I use the thin rust check as it only leaves an oily film that whipes off. It also spreads through all the seams very well.

Let it drip the afternoon and put it in the storage barn. Someone left an old bay in my usual spot. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Found a container of stuff from 1990 when I first started stripping the bus. Was sorting the fastener and found the door stay pins. Smile Slowly getting the little things correct.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Cargo door latch handle fell out. I had done a repair on it a couple years ago and didn't get good penetration when welding it together. Definitely did this time.

I use a small flat screwdriver and hammer to work the rivet flange in so the back will pop off.

Bit of a pain to get together. Found it was best to assemble everything except springs and clamp in vice. Then gently install springs and clamp back on.

I used a couple punches to spread the rivets back out while supporting back with a socket. Then tap the rivets flat. The install screws hold it all together anyway.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Doing a few odd bits on the bus today. Finally took 2 minutes and installed the accelerator boot. Now the passenger can't keep pointing out they can see the road go by though the floor. Smile. Maybe I should install the splash pan next..

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

You guys up north sure have a short season. I'm glad that I can drive mine almost year round. The times that there is salt on the roads over here have become really short, just a few weeks per year. Enjoy the season while you can!

Quote:
Greased the front. I never know how much to put in the front beam so I put lots.

Keep on going until you have clean grease coming out of the seals.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Out of storage and cleaned up.

Adjusted the brakes. Front always takes a bit but rear is usually very close.

Adjusted valves. One was slightly tight and one slightly loose. Probably same as when set last. New valve cover seals. One was leaking quite a bit.

Greased the front. I never know how much to put in the front beam so I put lots. At some point I need to do the king pins.

One headlight seal has swelled. Likely the Rust Check caused it. Headlight seals seam to be the only rubbers effected. I cut 3/4" out at screw and put it back.

Tires are getting used up but will do this year. It wares the rear out faster so trying a higher pressure in the rear and see if it makes a difference.

After it got a nice wash in the rain. The rust check I spray along the seams spreads everywhere. Made the bugs come off easy though.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Update on engine. Never found what caused the knock but likely ignition or carbon. It had excessive carbon so will look at the jet sizes and any other things that may cause carbon. It doesn't see high RPM as the SP runs out of torque quickly at higher revs.

I did adjust the distributor drive end play from .054 to .026 and seal a crack in the condenser wire.

We put 300 miles on it over the weekend and it ran perfectly.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Couple weeks ago we stoped at a viewing area on top of a mountain and just when is opened my door about a 100 kph gust of wind hit. Pulled me out the bus. Sprung the door and was very hard to get closed. At camp I was able to bend the door up enough to make it usable.

Decided today I should fix that. Socket in the hinge trick brought the bottom back where it needed to be. Tried forcing the top hinge forward but didn't work. My top door hinge is cracked inside and moves some. I will need to fix that someday. Placed washers behind hinge at inside two screws.

Got the door close enough to shut well. Not going to be perfect untill I repair the door. I really should have cut that open and reinforced when I restored it

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I broke a ring once and everytime that hole fired it made the piston skirt hit the cylinder wall. Sounded like a rod bearing. Got louder the more loaded up hill or take off.

Another time I had a stuck wrist pin but that knock was all the time cranking or running and you said "no coil no knock" so doubt that.

My 6volt spare engine is called "The Knocker" as it has a tight lifter that snaps back when the valve spring pushes it loose. It too sounds like a rod knock but will go forever like that.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Encountered a slight issue on the last day of a 15 day trip. Smile

Started it to head home and instant knock. One of thous knocks that make you expect a bunch of oil and metal bits will soon be dropped out the bottom.

Called step son to bring the trailer. We were only 3 hours from home.

Got home and pulled the engine apart because we needed to know what happened. Smile everything was perfect... few theories but at least it is nothing that will destroy the engine immediately so we will find it. If it actually does it again...

details at
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9692218

I really need to get the spare engine and transmission done so we can do quick swaps if anything happens on trips. Lot nicer to loose a day or so for someone to drive an engine to us than loose the rest of a vacation. Just lucky it was as we were leaving for home.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
whats the story on the 54? is that a CDN bus or??

It has been in Nova Scotia for 50 years at least. Birth certificate is on order...

I started a thread over in the barndoor section.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

whats the story on the 54? is that a CDN bus or??
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Photo opp with my new 54 and step son's bug.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Yes, the sides are a pain but if you leave the brackets and other mounting bolts a little loose at first, it's easier to get everything aligned.

Maybe harder if you straightened original splash pans - they are often bent in weird ways from little bumper impacts over the years.

Too late now but for others reading.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 50

Jump to: