Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Bugs washed off. That's a pain. I haven't used wax or cleaners on it. Just water. The paint is getting polished just from wiping it off.

All ready for tomorrow's adventure.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

200 miles on the bus today. Most of that was highway driving at 95-100 kph. Everything seems to be working perfectly.

Went to a car show in Barrington. Was very hot. After took a drive to the ocean to cool off a little.

Very happy with the bus. Felt nice to drive without worrying about stuff. Part of that is fixing issues but mostly getting to know the bus and just getting used to driving it. Next weekend will be it's longest adventure yet and I'm really looking forward to it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnharte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

WOW - Just read through all 32 pages!!

Loved the journey.. thanks for sharing
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Local comedy group asked if they could have the bus for a promo video... they all fit in there. Smile

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Wow... what a transformation!

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Run some cleaner through it and changed the oil tonight. Added 1/2 bottle of oil treatment and let it idle for 15 minutes before changing the oil. Finally checked the oil pressure when warm. 10 psi at idle and 40 at about 3000 rpm. I used a thicker oil so will likely have a bit more now. Bottom of the engine was wet with oil but the filter plate bolts were loose so tightening them should fix that.

Added a 12v outlet for a duel outlet USB charger. It is plugged on the extra blade on the ignition fuse. I will do something better when I get the conversion battery in.

All ready for tomorrow's adventure. Smile

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Putting the bus to its intended use. Smile

Spent the day driving the narrow back roads to get to Riverfest. An outdoor music festival on an old farm. Daughter and her band are opening act.

Need to find a lightweight, low volume solution to uneven ground. There won't always be an old fence post around.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

these RV leveling blocks are really great and store easy

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lynx-Levelers-10-Pack-R...mp;veh=sem
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Had a great trip with the bus. You get a bit of attention when driving one of these through the middle of a music festival. Smile Lots of fun.

Still suprised at how well it works. Even with the bed and our stuff it had enough power with the 1500. Actually the weight didn't seem to make a noticable difference. We will likely add another 500 lb when completed with camping gear. We don't need more speed. 100 kph is plenty as we will spend most of out time on secondary roads and 100 seems like a comfortable speed on highways when we need to. A little more torque would keep up to speed on all but the steepest hills though.

I am planning to build a larger motor but think a very mild stroker single port will be fine. I don't want to effect the fuel consumption much. This trip we got 7.8 L/100km. Very happy with that.

Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Your mileage was 7.8 L/100 km for that trip, or 30 mpg (US gallons). I doubt that you will get 30 mpg (US) on a regular basis, regardless of what engine you install. If you check out http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/transporter
or many of the mileage posts here on the Samba, you will find that 20-25 mpg (US) is more the norm. In over 100,000 miles of travel in 6 buses with different engines over 50 years, hitting 30 mpg (Canadian gallons) between fill-ups has always been a big achievement. Usually it is much less.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
Your mileage was 7.8 L/100 km for that trip, or 30 mpg (US gallons). I doubt that you will get 30 mpg (US) on a regular basis, regardless of what engine you install. If you check out http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/transporter
or many of the mileage posts here on the Samba, you will find that 20-25 mpg (US) is more the norm. In over 100,000 miles of travel in 6 buses with different engines over 50 years, hitting 30 mpg (Canadian gallons) between fill-ups has always been a big achievement. Usually it is much less.

I was surprised at the mileage but the average speed over the 450 km I calculated was around 70 kph as it was mostly narrow windy roads. Some gravel. I don’t have a working fuel gage so I was getting a bit worried by the time we reached the little gas station but still had 5L left in the tank.

My next tank has an hour at 100 kph on it so far so will see how that goes. Going to keep a log for awhile. I was hoping for 10 L/100km so anything better is great.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

10L/10km (28 mpg Can or 23.5 mpg US) is very attainable on small roads at lower speeds. Make sure your odometer is GPS calibrated too.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

[quote="sgellis"]
Don66bus wrote:
I don’t have a working fuel gage so I was getting a bit worried by the time we reached the little gas station but still had 5L left in the tank.

You can add in the reserve valve that was stock for pre-1962 buses, and a dealer option for later buses. That way you can have the last 4 liters or so in reserve. You can add in a control cable or just slide under to flip the valve by hand.

Added bonus to having the reserve switch is when you remove the engine or replace all the flex fuel line, you can turn off the fuel flow with the valve.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:
10L/10km (28 mpg Can or 23.5 mpg US) is very attainable on small roads at lower speeds. Make sure your odometer is GPS calibrated too.

My speedo is 10% slow but the odometer is close. I only checked it over a relatively short run but next time we do a long trip I will run my GPS app and see exactly how far off it is. Quite sure it is within 2% though.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

[quote="Eric&Barb"]
sgellis wrote:
Don66bus wrote:
I don’t have a working fuel gage so I was getting a bit worried by the time we reached the little gas station but still had 5L left in the tank.

You can add in the reserve valve that was stock for pre-1962 buses, and a dealer option for later buses. That way you can have the last 4 liters or so in reserve. You can add in a control cable or just slide under to flip the valve by hand.

Added bonus to having the reserve switch is when you remove the engine or replace all the flex fuel line, you can turn off the fuel flow with the valve.

I plan installing a reserve but it will likely be after I get around to fixing the gauge Smile
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Don66bus wrote:

This should be no problem. My '63 with an old engine gets that all the time. 25 MPG US on highway trips.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Getting my travel kit completed

Found a pocket multimeter cheep. Works good.

Picked up a small magnetic parts dish. That will be usefull as I am bad at loosing parts. Smile

Also got a small fire extinguisher. For now everything sits in the spare tire well. I still haven't acquired a rim yet. Think I can fit everything under the seat and maybe use megnets to hold the extinguisher in place when I get a spare. I have some 15" rims so may I will look for a used 15 tire for now

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Its really neat finding photos strangers have taken. Smile This one was from Saturday.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Driving home yesterday the throttle started sticking. Tapping the gas would fix it for a while. Finally pulled over and found the bolt I used as a quick fix last year had tightened up and was preventing the cable from returning. I was able to just loosen the bolt with my fingers and continue. Glad I hadn't gotten around to installing the splash pan.

I was going to spread the hook on the cable and put it through the arm. When I removed the bolt I discovered it was a aluminum loop so I just double nutted the bolt and good to go.

brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

And I thought I was Mr. Big because I took the trans axle out....lol. It amazes me at how much talent people have and what they can accomplish. Great job. I bookmarked this build as a reference site. Thanks for the great references.

1961 Standard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 50

Jump to: