Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Got a few little things done tonight.

Flipped the driver's wiper blade. I didn't realize the mount was off center. That extra bit more it will wipe is where I look though the windshield.

Replaced the mirrors. They were both loose where the ball pin attached to the mirror. Supplier checked and found it was an ongoing problem. They inspected a couple new one before shipping and they seem great.

Finally fixed the signal switch. I bent the clamping plate a couple times but it didn't last. This time I straightend it out more and put some teeth in it. Just set it against a sharp edge on the vice and hit it. Seems to be very solid now.

Got some 2.25" flex pipe and was going to hook up my heat but the cables are about 3" short on both sides. I will likely make extensions until I get around to ordering a correct one.

Checked the gear oil and it was down just a little. Thought it may be more with all the drips. Checked all wheels, suspension and steering. Everything seemed great.

Leaving Friday morning for our longest trip yet. I feel quite confident in it now. Also have a good travel kit for most common repairs and some hard to find tools for major problems.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Had a nice weekend hanging out with a bunch of VW campers. We got to view a great private collection that was about 50% bugs. Decided we need a convertible Thing for the wife. I quite like them and the wife loved the one there.

Bus worked great and we got 8.5 L/100km over the last 416 miles. It should be a more realistic mileage with some highway, some very hilly and loaded for 3 days.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Had a nice weekend hanging out with a bunch of VW campers. We got to view a great private collection that was about 50% bugs. Decided we need a convertible Thing for the wife. I quite like them and the wife loved the one there.

Bus worked great and we got 8.5 L/100km over the last 416 miles. It should be a more realistic mileage with some highway, some very hilly and loaded for 3 days.

8.5L/100km is really good. My bay westy always got around 10, or 25mpg.

My 66 westy was a little better when i took it easy and stayed off the autobahn Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration Reply with quote

on the turn signal piece I put small tac welds in the bottom of the 2 u notches and used a cutoff wheel to shape them and make them a bit more shallow, the pot metal housing that contacts those areas is what wears down and makes it loose on the column.... worked great for me Very Happy
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Developed a bang in the front when going over sharp bumps. Pulled the front wheels off and checked everything. Found left side upper shock bolt was loose. One of the few bolts I didn't check a few weeks ago.

Last edited by sgellis on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Got the heater cables hooked up.

Made extensions out of 1/8" aluminum rod. Worked well.

Found my cables were crossed in the front so the cables were not coming back all the way. Was hard to see in the tube so I took a picture and noticed the problem. Flipped it, straightend the cables and took another photo to insure I had it correct.

My cables don't return without a little help. Maybe with the engine running they will pop back. Doesn't need much to make them pop back. May need to add another spring...

Didn't get the pipe hooked yet. Still no cold weather in the forecast. Smile

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

[/quote]

I found this this weekend, and was reminded of your modification. This extension is made from a bent nail:

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
I just ordered these in warm white.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-Price-10x-41...52176.html
My lights had both 42mm and 39mm bulbs so 41mm ones should work.

I will update in a couple months when they arrive Smile

Bulbs arrived. Tight fit but not bad. They look good. One was a bit whiter so swamped it. You can see the difference in the pick without lense.

They are slightly brighter but not much. I will check the current tomorrow.

Put them all in and none worked... Had them all reversed. Haha

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Old pair of bulbs burn 0.74 amp. Two of the LEDs burn 0.1 amp with a little more light. That will be nice when camping.
wyankee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

I hope you mean .01 amp.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Nice lighting improvement! Where did you get your LED dome light bulbs from?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

wyankee wrote:
I hope you mean .01 amp.

0.1 is correct for two, 0.05 for one. Not bad for the light they give. I am sure I could find more efficient ones but not with the vintage look and price. Most do not produce 360° light.

You wouldn't know these were LED when on. I'm quite happy with them.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

as posted above:

I just ordered these in warm white.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cheap-Price-10x-41...52176.html
My lights had both 42mm and 39mm bulbs so 41mm ones should work.

They have 6v bulbs too.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Nice lighting improvement! Where did you get your LED dome light bulbs from?

Bill

aliexpress.com

I have had good luck ordering stuff from them but expect a couple months before it arrives.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Heat working. Produces lots of heat though it was warm outside.

Ordered some flex pipe but the size was a bit off. 2 3/8" OD, 2 3/16" ID. I slotted the ends and compressed it for the small heat duct and expanded for the large heater box. A pain to get in and not very tight.

Heater cables do return when driving but not while parked. I'm ok with that.

I assumed the vent control was up for defog and down for feet. Wasn't getting any air out the defog. Flipped the control and didn't get any out the vent. Then noticed the sand coming out the defog. Smile

Took it for a hard run to get the sand out the vents. I have a feeling there is more in there. Haha

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Exhaust tip would not stay tight. Extended the slot and moved the clamp to the very edge and now nice and tight.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

We have been enjoying the bus a lot this summer. Just notice it has over 1600 miles on it. Smile Tinkering a bit here and there between runs but other than that the bus has worked perfectly. It is very nice to drive when you take your time and avoid highways. Getting to see lots of road I haven't been on in 30 years.

We will likely need to put it away in a month but that depends on when they need to salt the roads for ice. If the weather stays nice maybe we can get until December. Smile

Drove it to work today. Been becoming a habit Smile Always take it out for lunch but it makes going back to work after difficult. Smile

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Got the heater cables hooked up.

Made extensions out of 1/8" aluminum rod. Worked well.

Pretty slick! I'll have to remember this if I ever put heaters back in my bus.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

This weekend the bus did the longest trip yet at 526 miles.

Saturday we started by checking out some junked bugs. Turns out there was lots of bugs. All very bad but will be going back with a trailer I think.

Made it to Halifax after 9 hours with a few stops. Our average speed was about 70 kph. All secondary roads except two short runs on highway.

Today we met up with the vintage VW group and got to chat and check out lots of VWs. Sold some stuff that I didn't want. Step son got some nice dual carbs and a spare trans for his bug.

Developed a good oil leak around my oil pressure switch on the way home. Not enough to lower the oil much but gave the engine an oil bath and left some puddles when we stopped.

Made it home after dark tonight. Funny, driving the bus long distances doesn't bother me a bit until I get out and my legs feel like I ran 10 miles.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 Kombi restoration (Formerly know as the "partial restore”) Reply with quote

Local show today. 90 cars or so. Nice day for having the bus out. Wont be many more good days here.

2300 miles on the bus so far this year.

Picked up a suction cup phone mount for last weeks adventures. Was a bit pricy but fits perfect. Discovered today that it holds the phone nicely for dashcam videos. Made a couple recordings. May upload some to YouTube for fun.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 50

Jump to: