Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking if reinstalling the original exhaust/heat parts in my bus. Someone removed the heat exchangers and just has a straight section of pipe installed. The current system is getting a bit rough, so since it needs to be replaced it makes sense to find a good used original system.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1935430

This ad in the classifieds seems to have most of what I need - I just want to verify this is the proper system for a stock 78.

Also, the ad above has a different muffler system than what I have now (Bus Depot extractor system). This should bolt right up to it, correct?

http://www.busdepot.com/352000

Thanks again!

Last edited by cmonSTART on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

yeah, you just wont need the crossover pipe or collector, but the extractor will bolt on to the heater boxes. I have that same muffler, The extractor may need some messaging to allign just right.

Looks like a good complete system in descent condition, but plan to go through all the joints to check for leaks and cracks. Same with the F-pipe (header) that bolts to the heads, file flat and check for fitment as they can warp a bit over time and heat cycles. they can be bent and twisted back with a bit of coaxing!

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

that is an early 1976 system. There are also the heater valves, straps and bellows etc so it may take several purchases.

Another option if passing smog is not an issue, is to use a 72-74 set which will help cools the heads a little better, and give more power.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1935428

Here is a 77-78 system. Get a hold of Bryan Wilson and see what he will charge you for a complete set with everything. The 1977 - 78 system is quite convoluted with many parts due to smog regulations back then.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1929006
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I'll get in touch with him.

I don't mind it taking a bunch of time - my BA6 runs as a stand-alone and works pretty well. My exhaust is getting a bit leaky so it's sort of forcing my hand here into buying. I can't stand the sound of exhaust leaks!

I like the 72 - 74 system, seems really simple! But, my nice shiny new muffler won't bolt up to that.
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

Just to make sure the 1973 exhaust manifold is a direct bolt on to the 1978 engine? I have been trying to figure out if the exhaust ports are different but all I've come across is that the 1979 exhaust ports are the different ones. Can anyone confirm this?
ac78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

From what I understand 75 thru early 78 are oval and some late 78 thru 79 are square. Any time I'm looking for exhausts parts I'm prompted for oval or square? I do run the extractor for BD and it's ok.

IMO, I would rather have the older setup with a direct connection for heat exchangers to heads vs. the separate manifold with 4 extra triangle connections on the elbows. It's a PIA to take it all apart and I would really love to get the Vintage speed exhaust...

VW Campmobile
For people who believe a family's
car should be it's castle !
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

I just finished a 75 calli to a 73 fed style conversion with the single cross muffler bolting directly to heater boxes. It is as simple as it gets- I'll get some pics if I can find the camera. Once you see it, you'll never look back.

my 79 calli cat was replaced with a 78 fed with vanagon long muffler and set of 4X1 headers- little loud but was cheap for me as had most of the stuff in a corner. Just need to cut a hole in the tin for the heater booster near #3.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tumbledown76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

This page was super helpful for me in determining what I needed for my 1979 Federal (in the hopes of eliminating my old cross-over bar and cat converter): https://web.archive.org/web/20160317223126/http://www.oldvolkshome.com/2exh7279.htm#251C
drober23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

Some of the cooling tin on the bottom of the engine is different for the different heat exchanger setup. But the manifolds bolt right up to the heads for '72-78.

The '72-'74 heat exchangers have a trapezoidal flange instead of the triangular one that your '78 system has. This will require a different extractor/muffler setup.

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe, and some others...
(more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

found the cylinder tin has no hole for the heater boost tube- and the current hole by the pulley can be plugged. the sled tin lower has a groove in it for the manifold. My 79 had an after market Cat that guaranteed you would not be able to adjust the valves.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vangabonders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 78 Exhaust Question - correct stuff? Reply with quote

So if I were to swap everything over from a 73 engine including the tin it should just be a direct swap right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: