Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm leaving for a 1000 mile camp trip. I replaced plugs, wires, rotor, dist, last year same time. Not sure If the wires are necessary since they're a little more pricey. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Noah
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Good wires will last you a very long time. So it would depend on what you got. Most Bosch wires are a solid wire with the resister at the ends. The ends go bad, so the wire set is replaced. 10 years or more is what I would suspect.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

In ozone laden Southern California - 10 years is probably end of life. If you want to drive trouble-free, then change every 5 years.

Every year is way too often, anywhere.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Thanks Butcher, Abscate,

That's good to hear. I think I'm running Bosch so I'm sure I'm good.

Thanks guys.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

I think I'm still on the same wire set for the entire dozen years I've owned the van.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

An issue with running to failure is a spark plug wire problem usually manifests itself as an intermittent misfire under load, and most people will have trouble diagnosing that cleanly.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

86VaNa60N wrote:
I think I'm running Bosch so I'm sure I'm good.

Unfortunately, there are Bosch parts these days that aren't quality products, particularly points and plug wires. I had a trip to an Everybus that went poorly due to a pair of new Bosch points.

Trust but verify.

I agree that 10 years at least should be expected.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

I saw a spec. of 30k miles somewhere (Bentley?).

For a low miles/yr vehicle, 10 years seems reasonable, but I'd test with a spray of water on a running vehicle at night after 5 & 7 years.

Good to see people thinking about maintenance...
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

My notes say I installed a Bosch set in January, 1997 at 135,000 miles.

That set started to fail in April, 2012 at 250,000 miles.

Bosch wires claim to have a lifetime guarantee so I contacted them and indeed they made good on them. I bought a set off of Amazon and Bosch refunded the amount paid.

The catch - I still had my receipt and package from 1997. Not sure if there is any hope for getting the lifetime guarantee if you do not have the original paperwork.

Yeah, the replacements also have a lifetime warranty so maybe in 2027 I will get another set.
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Wow, That's amazing you still had the same box/receipt from 1997!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

86VaNa60N wrote:
Wow, That's amazing you still had the same box/receipt from 1997!

you don't have a folder with every single receipt that went into your van from every owner?!? Smile
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

atomatom wrote:
...you don't have a folder with every single receipt that went into your van from every owner?!? Smile

Yeah, I started with a folder, then a shoebox, now a boot box. After 27 years of driving this thing I have a lot of receipts.

The key thing is: never add them up.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Right! I let Excel add them up instead.

and BTW, you can store the receipts in that second Vanagon that is perma-parked in your driveway...
86VaNa60N
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

I like the excel spreadsheet idea Smile
Thanks you guys.
RaraBlacksheep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

Yeah, I started with a folder, then a shoebox, now a boot box. After 27 years of driving this thing I have a lot of receipts.

The key thing is: never add them up.

Truer words have never been spoken. I've had some real money pit project cars in the past, but this van...ohhhh me oh my, this van...
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

oh c'mon

a Vanagon is nothing compared to an old 911

which is nothing compared to an RS-60 or a Ferrari
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

True enough about the receipts. One I can add to the original thread is that in my experience, later inline-4's are way more sensitive to plug wires than WBX. If I don't change mine yearly, there's trouble starting in wet weather, missing under load, etc.
Stephenmarklay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
86VaNa60N wrote:
I think I'm running Bosch so I'm sure I'm good.

Unfortunately, there are Bosch parts these days that aren't quality products, particularly points and plug wires. I had a trip to an Everybus that went poorly due to a pair of new Bosch points.

Trust but verify.

I agree that 10 years at least should be expected.

I had some new Bosch sitting in my parts bin that I installed yesterday. They are at least 8 years old and still the quality was not up to snuff with the originals I took off. I think I am going to buy a new non Bosch set.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

What about spark plugs? How often should they be replaced?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How often should spark plug wires be replaced? Yearly? Reply with quote

I do what goWesty says on their web site
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: