Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb instead of fuel injection
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crushie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

http://efmco.com/products-page/beverage-equipment-parts/valveshutoffbrass38/

All you need to control the air pressure on your smoke tester, insert into your line and control the air pressure. Wink
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

There's more interest here than I expected so here ya go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

the reason I asked is it seems stupid for me to pay extra to him for a pressure regulator value that doesn't work in the application. He could put a ball valve and brass orifice in that would limit flow for cheaper than adding the pressure regulator.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

I hear you but I doubt the regulator is more than a few bucks at Home Depot. For me, I just put the unit to work and used what I had available to throttle the air. You have the link. Let me know what the seller says
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Here is what the seller indicates for anyone else thinking of buying one:

Quote:
The output is fixed. The regulators are set with a max input of 150 psi. It should be able to handle that input, but the closer to that max, the more likely it is to pop the lid. It is possible to add an additional online regulator, but I would recommend using the supplied regulator as well, as most can not go down to the 1 PSI range.

BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Hooked my homemade one up to an air mattress electric pump. Works great. No regulator required. Runs off batteries or 12VDC.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'd start by spending $10 on new injector seals and see if that doesn't resolve the issue. Every single box of FI parts off a bus I've bought because the owner gave up on FI had rotted injector seals that were leaking. $10 in seals and 20 minutes in work might have fixed their issue.

Are fuel injector seals part of the engine gasket kit? I can't find them as a standalone item.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
I'd start by spending $10 on new injector seals and see if that doesn't resolve the issue. Every single box of FI parts off a bus I've bought because the owner gave up on FI had rotted injector seals that were leaking. $10 in seals and 20 minutes in work might have fixed their issue.

Are fuel injector seals part of the engine gasket kit? I can't find them as a standalone item.

lower (need 4)
http://www.busdepot.com/311133261

upper (need 4)
http://www.busdepot.com/311133263

O'Reillys and Napa also show them online but say check local stock.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Put this in your order to Bus Depot.....

http://www.busdepot.com/311198261a
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Anyone has a picture of where these go?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Essentially they are just 2 O rings. One big and one small. Observe the bottom picture.....

curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

The FI system is simple.

New harness
New fuel line kit
Injectors tuned
New CSV
Test other components
Don't mess with vacuum leaks..all new hoses and rubber there and you won't have to bother.

Took a trashed 75 system rebuilt it, didn't have to do much troubleshooting now it's on the road.

Start with garbage....end with garbage. That simple.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Ok great advice here. I'm gonna give the FI my best shot.
What is a CSV?
How do I tune the injectors?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb instead of fuel injection Reply with quote

Normally we just send off the injectors for cleaning and calibration. They come back with new seals and new "short hoses". About $100 to have all of them done. Plan on replacing all of the fuel lines while you are there anyway. I also replace the 4 intake runner hoses at the same time.

I send my CSV (cold start valve) off also since it is commonly referred to as the 5th injector. They clean it and make sure it doesn't leak.

I use:

http://cruzinperformance.com/

http://www.witchhunter.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: