Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

All seemed fine throughout the day, driving 90 - 100 km per hr (on the Trans Canada -- a 110 km limit hwy). Then drove for several km at 60 km in a road repair zone west of Moose Jaw behind a pick up truck; noticed loss of power towards the end; nothing happened when I tried to increase speed; pedal to the floor and couldn't go over 60 clicks; then it dropped to 40.
I knew something was wrong and looked for a place to pull over -- found one about a km down the road and coasted over in neutral.
Opened engine compartment -- a blast of hot air; looked underneath and liquid was running out from what ever 'pan' is second large 'bump' under there -- at back of front tires.
Was afraid it was transmission fluid but rolled TP under there as it was just a little too far to reach and it was a clear fluid -- appears to have been water.
Had auto service PU and tow to Regina -- Precision Motors -- as above. Any hints as to what this could be?

Was just two days into a 2 1/2 or 3 month road trip to the Maritime provinces and I am a devastated senior female with close to zero knowledge about VW vans. Please help.

Had it towed to a shop in Regina -- Precision Motors -- but that was last night (Saturday) and so no one to even talk to about it before Monday, so I am stranded here now.
The van is new to me as of April 7, 3015. Has 90,000 miles on it and had work down to make it run smoothly -- all systems checked after purchase. Smile
On Fri am, it had an oil change and a new fuel pump put in at Axel's in Kamloops.
Drove from Kamloops to Moose Jaw on Fri, Sat and it died coming into Moose Jaw.
Know a VW mechanic in Regina who could look at this tomorrow/Sunday?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

The only clear water comes from the air conditioner and is normal.

Hmmm. Is the engine idling and revving smoothly when stopped, with no check engine lights on? It might be an engine symbol on a Canadian model)

Slow loss of power over a few minutes could mean you've lost transmission fluid and could be an easy fix. Get some pictures underneath in the fluid loss so we can see.

Chin up, we'll get you to the East coast!

Link to the earlier thread on fuel pump replacement for history

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8145309&highlight=#8145309

This is going to cost you some pictures from your trip of course.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Slow loss of power over a few minutes could mean you've lost transmission fluid and could be an easy fix

Yes, this was essentially what happened when my transmission got low on fluid due to a hose clamp coming loose to the cooler.

And yep clear liquid underneath while the AC has been running is normal.

I've also seen when a catalytic convertor gets so constricted and plugged up it will do the same thing.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

It's a mystery until mechanic takes a look at it tomorrow I suppose; assume/fingers crossed they will help out a stranded motorist. Relly curious to know what the problem is ... and what the price tag will be. Fingers crossed it quick and easy and a modest cost. Gulp!

Happy to share pictures of my cross Canada roadtrip along the way ... took a few nice ones at Cypress Hills Inter-provincial Park yesterday ... and some amazing praiire sky photos as well. Will post a couple late this pm or evening.

I could set up a cross Canada blog ... not much else to do today ... and post photos taken along the way, I am assuming I will get back on the road someday soon; the sooner the better! . Smile

Thanks for the encouraging words, p
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

Just for the record, this is 93 EV?
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

Yes, Itsamoto -- a 1993 paprika red Westfalia Eurovan with 90,000 KMs on it.
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

Guess it's time to create a new post -- the transmission is toast and a new one will not only be expensive but hard to find for a
1993 Eurovan -- used, remanufactured or crated (I'm told those are the choices as new ones are no longer made.
Anybody got one sitting in their back yard? LOL

Sure hope I/we can find a transmission for it quickly -- I'm told it could take awhile -- I am devastated, but what can you do .... can't just walk away from it.

Sad
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

Made a new post ISO 1993 Eurovan Transmission

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8150325#8150325

Fingers crossed ....
Snowshoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Breakdown while traveling: Suggestions as to problem & fix pleas Reply with quote

What did the shop say about the "clear" fluid you observed leaking?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: