Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI? Swap or ?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razor1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI? Swap or ? Reply with quote

Hello guys picking up a really nice 85 GTI to add to my addiction and I need to know what tranny I can find in the junk yards that I can use?
I would like a tranny that will drop right in without a whole lot of modification. Unless I will greatly benefit from it!

I suspect I have a O2O?

Can I find other tranny's that will work ? And if so what years are typically O2O

I know there is a O2A that will work but unless I have to I really don't want to deal with shifter and clutch issues unless someone can help direct me clearly on what i need. Any help would be apreaciated to get this clean GTI back on the road. Thanks for the help!
Wes,
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

You'll need an 020 from a late mkI or any mkII/III will fit. As for ratio's, there are a couple of sites that show what the car came with and show what code trannies have what ratio's.

This is one, http://a2resource.com/index.html, and another, http://www.brokevw.com/.
Razor1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

What would be the trick in ordering a new clutch? What specifics should I look for or will my stock clutch that came out of my car work?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

Input shafts are larger on 16v cars & mk3 cars, if you get these transmissions, use the 16v pressure plate and/or clutch kit.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
lonewolf12669
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to put a 6spd in these year cars yet? I have an 87 GTI that keeps blowing 5th out.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

Is there enough gear lube in it? 5th gear sits off alone and can easily starve for lubricant if it is slightly under filled.
lonewolf12669
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI???? Swap or?????? Reply with quote

Yeah both were full when they went. Both just started to pop out of gear.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Need info for my blown tranny 85 GTI? Swap or ? Reply with quote

The later 020 tranny had a diff way of checking for full. Check here http://www.brokevw.com/, for a good tutorial on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: