Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tales from the Bulli Klinik
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

That engine will motivate the Bug nicely, it will be well broken in by the time the Bus is ready. What are you running for oil? I have been using only Rotella T 15-40 since the diesel rating retains the zinc (and it has done me well) but I'm thinking of going synthetic for my new engine. I know there are pages written on this topic, just curious as to your, highly valued opinion.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
pyrOman wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Concerned about the oil pump plate... never seen the out-port going to the right!!! Shocked

It's like what you've seen in the past. Berg has a pressure relief option with their full-flow covers, that's what your seeing. When the temps drop and your oil viscosity and pressure increases, the pump will bypass the filter/cooler loop and divert it directly to the sump. Not especially helpful if you're located where it doesn't freeze, but I consider it a necessity in Colorado.

Did not notice the duct tape on the left side of it... 'til just now! Embarassed
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I've been running the diesel oil in my Dormobile. I'm plan on going through the motor sometime before summer. I'm curious to see what the bearings and valve-train look like. One thing I've noticed with the diesel oil is that the underside of the oil filler cap gets frothy, like mayonaise.

I don't build and tear down enough motors to make a definite judgement on what oil is best. Besides, with 10 years between tear-downs, the oil formulas likely change multiple times.

If I was racing, I'd get racing oil. For a daily, put in anything you want as long as there is some zinc or use a zinc additive. I think what's most important is there being plenty of oil and that it's changed often, especially if there's no full-flow filter. I like big sumps and I cannot lie...
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:
I've been running the diesel oil in my Dormobile. I'm plan on going through the motor sometime before summer. I'm curious to see what the bearings and valve-train look like. One thing I've noticed with the diesel oil is that the underside of the oil filler cap gets frothy, like mayonaise. ...

are you saying it shows condensation? this is usually a sign that the engine does not get to a high enough temperature. short distance driving, cold ambient temperatures, missing flaps and thermostat, etc

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

That may be the case. I haven't been driving it too much lately, but it was my daily for many years. From my house to the shop is only a few miles of town driving. I do have a thermostat and flaps in the camper.

The camper motor has been rock solid for years, but it's beginning to show it's age. Likely nearing 50K on it...Time for some new exhaust valves and a checkup of the bottom end. It's a 1776 with pretty low compression. I'll likely put in a little more cam (Engle 100) and bump the compression up a bit. I'd love to put dual carbs on this thing but I don't want to do any cutting in the engine compartment and I don't want to relocate the gas heater. It's a nice, original Bus and I'd like to keep it pretty close to that.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:
...the underside of the oil filler cap gets frothy, like mayonaise. ...

..this is usually a sign that...etc

Check that the water valve is not clogged, has the tiny pinhole, and is still duckbilly flexible with the slit.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

You mean the road draft tube? Good idea. I guess that condensation needs to go somewhere. I assumed it would get vacuumed into the breather hose and into the oil bath filter. The motor is pretty stock with the exception of some minor details.

I'll check though. Thanks!
Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I have had that creamy build up under the cap as well...but not on my current engine (it is at 70 K and going south) and I have only run the RT 15-40 the whole time. I'm very religious about oil changes (every 1K or sooner). My 73 SB with a stock 1600DP had the problem despite all attempts to correct it, different oils, re-routing the hose, new cap gasket. It has always been a bit of a mystery why some engines have the issue and other don't. I have never used my VWs for short trips since I have always lived a good ways from where I worked or needed to go. I wish I could of built my engine before I left, but I was delivering my last customer obligation back to the owner just 8 hrs before gate time. I'll bring the pistons and jugs up to you before I assemble, we can check out the Mexi-quality and go get street tacos!
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Great thread! I'll be stealing that heat riser block off design!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I found a little time to add some details to the nose support. Though not an exact match, I had a dimple die that I made for some Vespa repairs a while back. I duct taped them to the press, aligned them and pressed a test panel. The depth was adjusted with washers to match the original pressings.

I'm not sure why these were pressed in the OG panel, but I put them there.

Also laid back the flanges and added some of the metal hold downs.

I left the outer wings a bit long and will trim them once the panel is fitted in place.

I'm going to call this panel done and move on to something else.

Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Badges?? We don't need no stinkin' badges!! Great work. I wonder if the dimples are "centering" strategies for stacking large numbers of these panels, if there was a defect it would be quickly revealed versus small errors that may compound without notice. I have seen such markers in other mass produced items.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Hmmm. I was thinking that it might be for some kind of accessory/option? I put it there just to be sure. I left the lower locating bumps off for now. I think those were put there so they could locate the panel quickly, on the assembly line.
Colorado Springs
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

That turned out very nice!! Still thinking High-top? You are so talented you could pull off a sales flap. I always thought that would make a great camping-events bus, and they are so rare no one would normally convert it to camping use...You could really enjoy the view (like a lake) from a screened in area and then close up for sleep.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Very impressive fabrication work; really like your attention to the small details, even in areas that will not be visible.

If you are interested in adding a "camper upgrade," have you considered a subhatch clip? It would be period correct for a small hatch bus, and they are pretty cool too imo.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
That turned out very nice!! Still thinking High-top? You are so talented you could pull off a sales flap. I always thought that would make a great camping-events bus, and they are so rare no one would normally convert it to camping use...You could really enjoy the view (like a lake) from a screened in area and then close up for sleep.

I have thought of that. Regular doors on one side and the sale flapper on the other. I saw a pic of a sales flap where the upper flipped up and the lower was a set of Dutch doors. Seemed really cool. I'd just be a little unsure about sealing that up, long-term.

I have some big ideas, but with the magnitude of the project and my limited time to spend, I'm trying to focus on one thing at a time. Otherwise I would just be overwhelmed!
Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Very impressive fabrication work; really like your attention to the small details, even in areas that will not be visible.

If you are interested in adding a "camper upgrade," have you considered a subhatch clip? It would be period correct for a small hatch bus, and they are pretty cool too imo.

I have considered putting a sub-hatch up there. One of my ideas is to make a high-roof with a little hatch over the passengers seat. My girl likes to take pictures and I thought it would be cool if she could stand on the seat and pop her head out of the top for a panorama.

The sky is the limit with thing. Short of cutting it up for panels, anything that's done to it will be an improvement.
Colorado Springs
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:

I have considered putting a sub-hatch up there. One of my ideas is to make a high-roof with a little hatch over the passengers seat. My girl likes to take pictures and I thought it would be cool if she could stand on the seat and pop her head out of the top for a panorama.

A swivel seat subhatch would be perfect for that.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I manage to get a couple more panels done. I pulled some templates and made the inner valance much like the headlight support. Folded the pieces in the brake. Welded the halves together. Stretched the flanges and tipped the edges. I snipped the tail ends and put the bend in it like the original part has.

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

I cut the bumper bracket holes with a chisel and cleaned them up with a little filing.

I had the outer panel sheared at the metal shop to save some trimming. I cut the holes in it the same way. Easiest part to make, yet!

Colorado Springs
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tales from the Bulli Klinik Reply with quote

The next step will be to repair the lower A-pillars. As you can see in this picture, I don't have a lot to go by. Does anyone have a picture of what this area is supposed to look like? Thanks in advance.

Colorado Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: