Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket) Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
These days it's revenue.

Lack of Self-Control Tax?
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket) Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Lack of Self-Control Tax?

Good one Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket)vely Reply with quote

Advice on stuff like this is State and even county in state dependent.

In NY, if you have a relatively clean record ( 10 years ticket free) you can usually write a letter to the DA and get a non-moving violation

Every moving violation has points in NY

If you roll 31 in a 20 mph school zone

About$500 in fines surcharges
Up to 15 days in the cooler
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket) Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I think the road has an appropriate speed limit when one considers that there are trucks/large RVs that use it. It does suck though because any vehicle that's not 50 feet long could easily take the road at 55-60 with the exception of two curves. If one were on a motorcycle or in a sports car the whole road could probably be done at 65-70mph. It would be nice if there were dual speed limits posted, or a min/max. Anyway, at the end of the day it's my fault. I went above the posted limit. I'm in no way attempting to justify my driving behavior. I honestly don't recall going that fast, but it's quite possible. And yes, I should have known better as it's a notorious speed trap in the area.

After some careful consideration I am going to contest the ticket. My best bet is to hope that they screw up their paperwork- smd not calibrated, discovery, setting court dates, etc. If they do mess up it seems that I have a chance of dismissal. And if they don't, then it's simply me going to court that day and asking for leniency. Considering my clean record, I think I should be able to receive a deferment or be given the option of going to driving school. It seems driving school can be done online also, so that should be fairly simple. It looks like whatever the case may be, the fine will remain. Oh well, life goes on.

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
kennyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket) Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
13 over in Utah might get you a ticket for impeding traffic flow.

You beat me to this one... UT where we raise the speed limit and then wonder why there is a fatal crash every 3 days.
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: I guess I have a heavy right foot (speeding ticket) Reply with quote

kennyw wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
13 over in Utah might get you a ticket for impeding traffic flow.

You beat me to this one... UT where we raise the speed limit and then wonder why there is a fatal crash every 3 days.

We have very minimal speed enforcement in the OK/TX/KS/MO/AR region. The exceptions are small towns on secondary highways, they seem to get half their revenue from citations... And the MO state troopers, especially near the KS border. They are looking for drug runners, and will often pull over suspicious cars for "speeding" regardless of your actual speed (been there done that).

West Texas can be crazy on the secondary highways though. Its scary driving less than 80mph at times! Stopping distance? Over-driving your headlights? Whats that? Rolling Eyes

My experience with these tickets (personal and family) is that most judges will not reduce/eliminate a ticket unless it would have a major impact (loss of license etc). But paperwork screw ups, the officer not showing to court, etc do happen with some regularity. Cool
Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: