Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle - Build thread?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Car is in epoxy now its all body work and sand-able primer. Also likely take the engine out this week to spray the compartment and start going through it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW part painting obstacle course

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

One last ride around the neighborhood and sadly took the engine out.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

The art of making death foam weld patches and dings go away continues. I poked around the engine and transmission a bit and I am starting to buy the story of a rebuild that never ran before I got it. The transmission looks like a fresh rebuild new TOB, clutch, pivot arm, the paint in the bellhousing (is that what it is called on a VW?) is pristine. For the engine the heads are spotless and peeking through the sparkplug holes everything looks newbut I will see more as I go.

Still dont have a plan for the car other than paint it, throw it back together and drive it. Maybe it will become a daily...or I will hot rod it out. I will have to decide sooner or later!

Next decision though is going to have to be a paint color.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Last post for a week or two as I am headed off on vacation, spent the week sanding and doing the filler work. Ended the day with the first coat of sandable primer and the body actually looks pretty close. Hopefully in paint by the end of October.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Second coat of sandable on the body...getting close to color. Started working the doors also and getting them pretty close to straight. Updates wont be very exciting...put the primer on...sand the primer off...repeat.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

This weeks boring bodywork update:

- Bought the paint for the car, no turning back now its going back to the original Marina Blue
- Got a roller small enough and long enough to POR15 the compartment the sunroof rolls into, got the sunroof drain hoses all cleared and fixed up
- Body is ready to be sealed and wetsanded, maybe do that tomorrow
- Doors/sunroof are in Sandable primer but still need a little bit more work.
- Full junkyard set of German tins w/thermostat cleaned up, sandblasted, and painted.
- Picked up a slightly used header/muffler combo just need to cut and reweld one of the manifold heat tubes to the collector.

Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Keep at it! You're at the turning point of the job now - as soon as you lay the first coat of colour it'll feel like the home straight already Very Happy
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Dodgy wrote:
Keep at it! You're at the turning point of the job now - as soon as you lay the first coat of colour it'll feel like the home straight already Very Happy

Yup it is getting there! I left the worst part till last though...the fenders look like sacks of walnuts and are not going to be fun getting straight Confused
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

With your "boring bodywork update" you actually provide a bit of a reality check for many of us dreamers. Many casual readers who are devoted enthusiasts really can't appreciate the physical work and endurance that you need to do your own bodywork, which includes the necessary evil of sanding, priming, resanding, etc. So by spelling that out instead of just stating "more bodywork" you give an idea of what is needed.

Did you spray your engine tins with spray can paint, or use another type with a proper spray gun?

Good choice going with the marina blue- not only will it match the interior and trunk, but it is a "fresh", cheerful color.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
With your "boring bodywork update" you actually provide a bit of a reality check for many of us dreamers. Many casual readers who are devoted enthusiasts really can't appreciate the physical work and endurance that you need to do your own bodywork, which includes the necessary evil of sanding, priming, resanding, etc. So by spelling that out instead of just stating "more bodywork" you give an idea of what is needed.

Did you spray your engine tins with spray can paint, or use another type with a proper spray gun?

Good choice going with the marina blue- not only will it match the interior and trunk, but it is a "fresh", cheerful color.

I used an epoxy that I had leftover from doing Ford engine compartments I cant remember then number. It is "semigloss" but lays on more as a flat color, it takes a beating though so I like it even if its not the proper paint.

I will keep the updates up if people find them useful. You could get away with a lot less body work if you could live with a little waviness. I am getting to the point where I am going to have a couple hundred hours into the paint on a $5,000.00 car when complete (I just picked a value there and I know it is arguable by super beetle lovers and haters). But its a hobby and it keeps me out of the whorehouses and bars!
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Sealer on the body complete, days are getting short and colder no way this is going to be painted by the end of the month. Went ahead and called dibs on the paint-booth for thanksgiving weekend so that is the new goal. This will be the first car I paint by myself, before I always did the wet sand/cut ins then handed it over to a pro.

There are 5 or 6 areas with either a pinhole, divot, or hard edge that could be gone back through and the body lines could be sanded a bit crisper...just a matter of how straight you want it and how much you really care on a driver.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Rained a bunch this week so I messed around with the engine getting all of the chrome tin off and cleaning it up (and breaking a couple bolts trying to get the old exhaust off Crying or Very sad )

Took my swap meet header and intake and moved one of the carb preheat tubes to the collector. While I was at it I brazed a kingnipple in the intake below the carb to supply manifold vacuum to the air cleaner. Everything was also sandblasted and etched. They will get high temp primer/paint next week.

Hopefully get some good weather this weekend to finish up the body work on the doors and hood.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

So as it is still raining here I am going through old posts and websites looking at the next step after paint…suspension/steering rebuild. Here is what I am looking at if you see anything missing or that is a bad idea let me know! The goal is a very drivable car that may see an AutoX or drag strip 1-2 times a year for fun but mostly will just be a backroad cruiser and driven to work on sunny days. Figure 1K-2K miles a year.

Front end, looking to get rid of shimmy and lower maybe 1” through springs:

Disc Brake Kit (any opinions here on which kit is best?)
New Bump Stops
Topline front end rebuild kit for lowered super beetle
( center tie rod, right and left tie rods, two ball joints, idler arm bushing, steering damper, damper bushing, urethane control arm bushings, camber bolts and washers, and sway bar bushings)
Sport + springs
Stress bar
Strut bearings
Strut inserts

Rear end (looks like fresh rebuild with new C/V boots etc.):

Rear shocks
Transmission mounts
Rear body mounts above shocks
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Do the topline disc kit.
Best bang for buck and it is seriously a bolt on kit with everything needed.
There are other 'kits' available, but not nearly as complete and by the time (&$) they are made comparable, the dollars are pretty close.

Did the upgrade this summer and am very pleased.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Got a break in the weather. The hoods had a rough life, lot of hammer work and a little filler and she is almost ready for sandable primer. Doors are ready for sealer and wet sanding. I may lay color on the inside of the doors/hood next weekend just to get a feel for the paint....if the weather holds enough for me to get the wetsanding done.

First coat on the hood, she was rough:

Doors are ready to go, you can see the fender up top that is pretty wrinkled, needs to be sanded.

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Stormy weather and heavy workload this week took a toll on super beetle progress. Even Thanksgiving for paint is looking not so great, more than likely paint the body then but do fenders/doors/hood on another weekend. Current state of body work:

Car Body - ready for wet sand - 1 day
Doors - sand, top coat, wet sand - 2 days
Fenders - 1 in primer, rest need everything - 2 weeks unless i find a better driver front fender
Hood - in primer, needs sand, primer, sand, top coat, wet sand - 3 days
Decklid - top coat, wet sand 1/2 day
Sunroof - topcoat, wet sand 1/2 day

Still need to order the stuff for full suspension/steering rebuild and a full interior kit.

Random Body work Photos from he week:

Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Havent posted in a week or 2...I was lazy went fishing. Although I did stop by Averys Air Cooled on the way home and picked up a couple of fenders that are hopefully better than mine. I also ordered all of the stuff I needed to rebuild/modify the dash (extra gauges etc.) from aircooled.net for something to do on cold days.

Other than that just wetsanding to get the body ready for paint on Thanksgiving. If you have never wet sanded a car before it is the equivalent to waking up after a night of drinking and finding a warm body next to you in the dark that you dont remember....that moment you turn the lights on and discover everything wrong?

That is wetsanding.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Looking like it's coming together.

I went with an Empi front disc conversion. Calipers, rotors, forged bracket were well made, and the fit was precise. The pads were too soft, so I got some squeaking the first few hundred miles. All in all, a nice kit--especially for the price. However ...

... if I had it to do again, I'd go with Topline's front disc conversion. The Empi kit came with no bearings (which was okay; I reused my old bearings and races from the drum), but it also came with two metal lines that were not so easy for the brake novice to bend. Topline's kit, however, comes with flexible stainless steel lines, and brackets to hold them to your struts.

So, Topline supplies all you need for the conversion, as well as an easier installation. Taking into account the purchase of a brake-bending tool (actually two different types), and bearings (if you can't reuse your old ones), the price is not out of whack. Plus, Topline gives you a choice of a rotor upgrade.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

... if I had it to do again, I'd go with Topline's front disc conversion.

That is the direction I am headed, just order everything I need to do front/rear suspension, steering, brakes from Topline. Also still trying to decide if the larger sway bar and the lowering struts are worth it.

I hate wetsanding so I am trying to not let the project stall by ordering stuff now that will be fun to put together.

400 grit orange peel wet sanding blues:

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

I installed Sachs/Boge oil-filled shocks up front on my Super Beetle. I also replaced the bearings in the top of the struts. The struts, themselves, I kept OEM.

The car rides stock height (which is of course rather high compared to many bugs I've seen which are lowered). I don't mind, however. With the front end rebuilt, the ride is excellent--just the way it is.

I've read many posts of camber/caster issues when owners lower their rides. It looks cool, for sure, but I prefer the steering/handling properties, over appearances.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: