Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Super Beetle - Build thread?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
220 degrees is still fine.

I noticed from your pics that your oil pressure relief valve is for a 1500 (the kind with the groove toward the top). I read up a little, and this grooved plunger should actually make your oil run cooler.

I also read in Bently that your longer spring (oil relief) should be 1-3/4 inches long. The shorter control valve spring should be 3/4 inch long. If they're longer, I wonder if you might happen to have aftermarket "heavy-duty" springs. I have no idea what their purpose is, or if you have them, if it's having an effect on your oil cooling.

Perhaps a new coil will cure your condenser issue.

Tim

I will measure the springs next time I change the oil. I drove the car to work this morning when it was about 70 degrees and the temp stayed under 200.

It is a brand new bosch coil but I can throw the old one on and see if there is a difference. I talked to Bill and he recommended a specific brand of condensers because some have had issues with the Bosch. SO until then I threw the pertronix back in there so I could drive it.

I am also getting higher voltage at RPM then maybe I should? I am getting about 12 at low idle, 14.7 at high idle, and close to 16V @ 3000 rpm.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:

I am also getting higher voltage at RPM then maybe I should? I am getting about 12 at low idle, 14.7 at high idle, and close to 16V @ 3000 rpm.

I used to get 16-18 at high idle when the internal regulator went bad.

[EDIT] BTW, i'm not an electrician, but others here pointed out that too high a voltage will eventually burn out your electrical switches - light switch, gas gauge, flasher, etc.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Hatracks wrote:

I used to get 16-18 at high idle when the internal regulator went bad.

[EDIT] BTW, i'm not an electrician, but others here pointed out that too high a voltage will eventually burn out your electrical switches - light switch, gas gauge, flasher, etc.

I ordered a new regulator to throw in, luckily this is a generator with external regulator so easy to swap.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

I cheated with the 100 degree temps here this week and installed a standoff, kept the temps just under or about 225 with 90 degree air temp and a 40 minute drive through traffic and some big hills.

Ordered the recommended condensers but for now running it with the petronix, also have a solid state voltage regulator on the way.

with standoff:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

What brand of condenser are you going to use?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
What brand of condenser are you going to use?

Tim

Napa Echlin condenser
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Got back in town today and swapped the voltage regulator, now the voltage looks good at all RPM from the generator. Swapped back in the 034 with the Napa condensers, fired right up, set the timing and idle and took her for a drive.

About 5 miles from the house and 50 mph it backfired once and died. Pulled over to the side of the road, swapped the pertronix back in, timed it by ear and drove home.

old regulator, has made in USA stamp on it:

Kc8bxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Sorry not sure how to use this site to confusing I won't be back
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Well still driving the car on days when I commute to Seattle so its driven 2-3 days a week (Have put about 500 miles on it this month). Never did figure out the issue with the 034/condenser so it has the petronix still in it. Dealing with the usual issues with old cars, most self inflicted.

The speedometer light went out so I pulled it out to see if it was the bulb without disconnect the speedometer cable. The next day the speedometer cable broke so I must have stretched or kinked it.

Ordered a complete set of bulbs, bulb holders, and a speedometer cable so I can pull it out just once and replace everything and hopefully never have to touch that again.

Other than that just enjoying the car:

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Lookin good! Cool

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Great looking bug.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Replaced all of the bulbs and sockets in the speedometer and got that all working again. Replaced the speedometer cable, hopefully this one lasts a bit longer (if i remember to disconnect it before pulling out the speedometer!).

Next thing to figure out is the shifter, it is just a bit to short and I have to lean out of the seat for getting it in/out of 3rd. I may look at one of the vintage speed shifters unless someone else had a better recommendation.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

I had the same problem cause I'm short. A friend gave me an empi short shifter and its perfect. I can sit comfortably in the seat and reach all gears without issue. There are some things that they make that are good and others that are complete shit. This happens to be an ok product, which you can find at most vendors. Try here
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Well on the way home today I think my mystery junk engine gave up the ghost, lot of blue white smoke and I pulled off the side of the road. I will try to limp her home later when the traffic dies.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Hatracks wrote:
Well on the way home today I think my mystery junk engine gave up the ghost, lot of blue white smoke and I pulled off the side of the road. I will try to limp her home later when the traffic dies.

Man that sucks. Hoping for the best Crying or Very sad
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Hatracks wrote:

Man that sucks. Hoping for the best Crying or Very sad

She is home and when cold isnt smoking but I can smell a bit of burning oil. I am going to document the engine rebuild here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8530905#8530905
hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Great build man!

Love the guages in the dash!

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

Updated this thread with plug pictures and compression/leakdown test if anyone has an opinion.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8535250#8535250[/img]
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

SO it turns out the engine lost the thrust cut on the case. So to keep this thread updates I will rebuild the engine here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=684793&start=80

Case is out at machine shop being linebored and having the thrust area cut.

A local forum member whose build went a different direction hooked me up with:

Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate, lightened fly wheel, and a 69mm reground crank modified for 8 dowel, oil cooler, and a set of 88mm thick wall machine in with the rotating assembly already balanced at a great price.

John with ACN will hook me up with:
L3 Heads, 40 IDFs, webcam 118 with 108 degree LC and everything else I need to put it together.

So the goal will be something in the 90ish HP range that is fun to drive on sunny days to and from work and see the dragstrip once and a while on Friday nights.
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 73 Super Beetle - Build thread? Reply with quote

While waiting for engine parts i did a bunch of little stuff like:

installed Vintage Speed Shifter
Put in a real battery hold down
removed all of the fresh air stuff since im going to J pipes
changed the accelerator cable
cleaned a bit
went through all the tin to make sure I had everything still
painted the industrial tin for the J pipes to match, I need to weld on tabs for the sleds though

The Vintage Speed is nice and crisp and the extra length/bend make it way more comfortable.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: