Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

1) Leaving for a 3,000 mile trip this eve.

2) Had a recent event (2 days ago) where some other guy left on HIS 3,000 mile trip without checking his CV boots.... thatmade me think about looking mine over better.

So I found one that was leaking a little. Closer examination revealed some kind of goober/patch. I peeled it off and it was covering a hole where the boot had worn thin then thru. These may be original boots (178kmi) - apparently the goober lasted quite awhile. Maybe I goobered it myself before a trip many years ago. It seemed like silicone, but maybe a little tougher, but it looks like it held for a long time. It's silver and you can see remnants of it in the photo. I'm leaving tonite, I want me somma'dat.

So, what is the quickest way to patch a hole in a boot? I'm gonna do something, maybe Shoo Goo unless someone has something better (tested).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pumping EP Moly grease in. Probably have to change boots anyway, might as well grease.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? Reply with quote

Clean with lacquer thinner , scuff the area and use a bicycle tube flexible repair patch. look for the style that you light the back of and it vulcanizes to the rubber.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? Reply with quote

That looks good to go for a 3000 mile trip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? Reply with quote

OK all done I suppose. Couldn't bring myself to use a bicycle patch - knowing that grease may ooze out as I'm trying to press it down. So I cleaned it with carburetor cleaner then covered holes with Shoo Goo.

Poked another boot. It could not possibly be OEM

Covered hole with Shoo Goo

OK now THIS must be an OEM boot

Old OEM boot poked.

This one had no band.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? Reply with quote

had the same problem one time - I used Gorilla tape (after cleaning) and wrapped it around & around & around &...

when I got back I rebuilt them with decent quality boots - incl. inspection of all cages/races/bearings & bears
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

I do not understand why you believe that installing new grease in an environment with old grease is even a good thing to do. Where is the old grease going? Adding new grease will not extend the life at all.

If it's to get you down the road, great. If you think it's a good idea? I do not think so. That one boot is so cracked, it should have been replaced years ago.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
I do not understand why you believe that installing new grease in an environment with old grease is even a good thing to do. Where is the old grease going? Adding new grease will not extend the life at all.

If it's to get you down the road, great. If you think it's a good idea? I do not think so. That one boot is so cracked, it should have been replaced years ago.

Knowing it's "got grease" is comforting.

WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
1) Leaving for a 3,000 mile trip this eve.

To me overall your CV boots look fine for a 3k trip.

I'd recommend eventually removing the inside boot metal clamps and replacing with zip-ties just to reduce the possibility of the metal clamps from cutting into the boots over time. But for your coming trip I wouldn't hassle with it for now.

There are some signs of aging on a few but not a present show stopper.

Recommend you massage that grease you added through the boot by hand down toward the CV's.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

BTW, I had a set of CV boots crack in < 1 year - maybe a few months.

You do want to replace them as soon as you can, so you can avoid replacing the CVs.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? Reply with quote

Old OEM boot poked.

That grease needle looks much shorter than the one that VanCafe has in their CV grease kit.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_626_338/cv-repack-kit-a-for-2-wd-vehicles.html
It looks like you're only putting grease in the boot not in the CV joint itself. With the long grease needle and removing the clips you can slide the needle under the boot and get the grease into the CV joint itself. Loading the boot with grease might cause rotational stress and do more damage to the boot.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Pumping grease into the boot isnt worth the time. If the wear surfaces arent greased, grease is not going to find its way there.

Pull them off, rinse in solvent, inspect, and pack em up. Good for another 50k miles.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Huh?
Are you stating that if I pump a system full of grease it won't be greased?
I've taken a couple of these apart before, they're mechanically pretty open to the "external" grease environment.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Yes, and he is correct. Think about the "system" for a minute - the new grease is injected at some distance from the working joint where different metal pieces are in contact.

It might somehow work its way in that direction tho I am doubtful on that. But even if it did, the BEST that would result is a mix of old & new grease. Who knows, they might even be incompatible greases.

Do it right and clean out the old grease. Not only will it then be all new grease of the proper type, you will also have inspected all metal for any damage.

if it was me, and it was an important trip, I'd go ahead and run the joints but would then service properly once home.

AND I'd be listening for any noises while en route, and take a quick look for grease exiting (or Brexiting) the CVs when I stopped.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

The long needle will reach into the CV joint and old grease will be displaced with new grease. Putting grease into the boot only, could cause damage to a weak boot and may not reach the CV joint.

When you grease suspension parts do you disassemble and repack or do you just clean the nipple and pump new grease in until the old grease comes out? You can spend hours repacking a CV joint or you can spend days and weeks of driving and camping with fresh grease needled into a CV joint. How many times do you fold your toilet paper? Anal is banal.

Aloha
tp
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
...When you grease suspension parts do you disassemble and repack or do you just clean the nipple and pump new grease in...

Zactly.

What I use to inject 25ml into each CV on a regular basis:

That long flexible tube (a piece of ¼" irrigation line) has a slanted cut end which slips under the small end of the boot (no clamp) and reaches all the way in until I can feel in the joint.

The 'hypo' came from Goodwill and was intended to inject meat juices into a roast. Similar items are available at your local pharmacy.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
The long needle will reach into the CV joint and old grease will be displaced with new grease. Putting grease into the boot only, could cause damage to a weak boot and may not reach the CV joint.

When you grease suspension parts do you disassemble and repack or do you just clean the nipple and pump new grease in until the old grease comes out? You can spend hours repacking a CV joint or you can spend days and weeks of driving and camping with fresh grease needled into a CV joint. How many times do you fold your toilet paper? Anal is banal.

Aloha
tp

He may have dirt/grit in there. The original pic shows a very short needle, which is what I'm commenting on.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
He may have dirt/grit in there. The original pic shows a very short needle, which is what I'm commenting on.

Yes, the short needle could possibly do more harm than good. The grease goes into the boot and not the CV joint. The new grease may carry dirt/grit into the CV joint and/or the boot may rupture with the weight of the grease turning at speed. Long needle or disassembly and packing are the better ways. I ASSuME that too much grease with a long needle would have the same potential for causing rupture.

The OP is leaving tonight on a 3,000 mile trip and he will probably round trip without problems, but it is time to replace the boots and inspect, clean, and repack the CV joints and not worry about them for the next 50,000.

A long six point or triple square hex bolt socket, clean bolts, new Schnorr washers, vinyl gloves, and the proper grease will be his friends when he returns. There are links and photos in other CV joint threads.

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Some grease is better than no grease, But, it is a better idea if you have no idea what the CV joint looks like, what's worn & what isn't, to remove the boots & clean & inspect the joints.
Ya have to have an idea what you're starting with.

A longer needle shoved all the way down the axle to the joint would be a guaranteed way of assuring that ypu are getting grease in the right place.

The shoe goo will seal that up well if you got the boot plenty clean and scratched it a little with 80 grit paper.
You play hell trying to remove it.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

To answer the Op's question.
Shoe goo will do the job.
So have a nice trip and watch out for crazy drivers also don't worry about all the remarks about why you did this and that wrong. 😎
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: How to patch a CV boot? (And needle-greasing CVs) Reply with quote

Here is my home made version of an extended needle fitting, it gets right into the joint where the grease is needed.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: