Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D SCHIEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Any suggestions on which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender? I am having some issues and need to purchase one.
Thanks in advance for any help.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Eurovan Forum Reply with quote

D SCHIEL wrote:
Any suggestions on which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender? I am having some issues and need to purchase one.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm pretty sure you want the Hex + CAN, thats what I have and it works on my 93, my 99, my 2003, 2004, and 2006 VW's.

Here's a few links to help

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

And you can search for which VAGCOM you need by VIN here: http://store.ross-tech.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RTAC&Tab=3
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Sorry to reboot this thread, but I'm curious if there's a real need to have VAG-COM for my own home use. I'm not planning on playing mechanic in most cases, but it's nice to know what's going on. I could envision calling my mechanic when I'm on a road trip, and at least being able to explain a problem so he can guide me to try and repair it.

When I owned a Mercedes Sprinter, I had the pricey Autoenginuity scanner which allowed reading of the deeper ESP codes that regular ODBII scanners could not see. It was pretty helpful to actually see the issue at hand. Also let me reset the limp-home mode and monitor a bunch of vitals. There is a module for VW/Audi vehicles I see: https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/oe-level-coverage/audi-and-vw-ei16/

So, does a 2003 Eurovan (which I just acquired yesterday) need something like that, or is ODBII a much more appropriate solution for majority of diagnosing?

I'm thinking of this one, because I don't trust bluetooth honestly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073GW5MTS/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I had a ScanTool on my Sprinter also, and it was great, but again, did not have ability to see ESP codes which actually are needed for most diagnosing.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Check out OBD 11

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=obd+11

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Check out OBD 11

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=obd+11

I thought you were being a jerk, because II looks like 11...but you mean this?

https://www.amazon.com/Audi-OBD2-OBDeleven-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B00OTG9K9I
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Yes, it's what I use with all my VAG vehicles. I use it with a small Android tablet, but a phone could also work.

And yes, I do play a jerk on the interwebz.

y u rune klassik?
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Seconded on the OBDeleven...

I also use mine with an older android tablet...

The new version they are about to release will be iPhone (iOS) compatible too...

https://obdeleven.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

A basic obd2 bluetooth scanner (about $15 on amazon/ebay) and Torque app on android or Dashcommand on ios, or many other free apps will tell you most of what you need.

If you go this route with a basic cheap adapter and you have iOS, either buy a wifi adapter or make sure the bluetooth is the latest and states it will work with iOS.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:
A basic obd2 bluetooth scanner (about $15 on amazon/ebay) and Torque app on android or Dashcommand on ios, or many other free apps will tell you most of what you need.

If you go this route with a basic cheap adapter and you have iOS, either buy a wifi adapter or make sure the bluetooth is the latest and states it will work with iOS.

I have Torque and primarily use for tranny temperature. There are more VW specific things one can do with VAGCOM, and OBD11, though.
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

I am using OBD Eleven. $45 for the unit on Amazon and another $35 to go "Pro". I just figured out how to find trans temp, which is the sole thing I wanted. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to add a few more real time values to display. Cheap and easy way to get a trans temp gauge. Really rough to figure out without assistance. At least they have folks online willing to help[/quote]
'03 EuroVan Weekender
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

How did you get that feature to function?

y u rune klassik?
hellogoodbye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Just bought mine, the standard version. Surprisingly only a few faults and all cleared except B1600 which reads thusly:

33 OBD-II
Trouble codes:
B1600 - Seat backrest adjustment sensor, right
Active

I tried looking it up but didn't fine much. Should I take it literally? Something about the backrest, really?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Which VAG-COM to purchase for a 2003 Eurovan weekender Reply with quote

Never heard of it

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: