Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear suspension issues
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

The buggy driving season in Ohio is over. Winter is here,the grass is mowed for the last time,the Christmas decorations are all up and operating. And Santa's workshop has reverted back to a garage.

Time to solve some issues on my Bonnie's Buggy project. First off rear suspension issue. I am very happy with the ride height of the buggy and the ride on the rear axle is not to harsh. This was achieved by adjusting the torsion bars and spring plates. With the pan sitting level I ended up at 15 degrees on the spring plate angle. I have what I think are the origional torsion bars. They are red in color. The shocks are new cheap oil ones as recommended in other threads on this forum.

The engine is a built 2165 and is mounted solid using the EMPI kit.

The issue is when I am motoring along in third or even fourth gear and mash
on the go petal I get this banging in the rear suspension. After investigating I have determined that the rubber snubbers are bottoming out.

Is this something that is normal when running larger motors? I have read a lot of suspension threads on this forum and have not seen this issue addressed. Any thoughts or ideas would be more than welcome.

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

Frank
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

Have you checker the transmission mounts, yes I see they are solid mounts........ With the rubber snubbers (jounce stops) in place there should not be a "bang"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Dale. Bang may not be the correct term for what is happening. It's not like it is metal to metal but you can definitely feel the stops bottoming out. Is it typical for these stops to bottom like that?

Also checked the transmission mounts again. Bolts are tight,nothing broken.

Thanks again
Frank
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

On lowered buggy its more likely to hit the jounce stops as you have reduces the clearance between the bumper and it contact point, but you have not done much to stop the amount of motion which would probable be same as non lowered vehicle... There for with weight transfer or going through chuck hole you are likely to experience more "contact"...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

check the compression and rebound rate of the shocks, it will make big difference in acceleration versus normal driving

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted Knuckle Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear suspension issues Reply with quote

I pulled the shocks off this afternoon. You can hold the bottom in one hand and compress the shock with the other hand. This dosent seem like much compression rate to me.

They are AAA343144K 180405 I haven't been able to find any information on them.

Frank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: