Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

MAAAAAAAAAN - for sure one of my fave ever builds on here - I have been pretty much up to date on all of the hot Type 1 & 2 builds on here for the last 10+.

HATS OFF, HANDS DOWN, FUCKING BAD ASS!

Sweet, my personal, personal $00.2c would be with that size rear I would go just a tad higher. But please just take that as that this rig is so fucking perfect it makes it easy to pic up something from my tiny weeny POV.

The fact that is heading towards the heavier end of the of the FAT CHICK spectrum and could kick a SLIM CHICK's ass - is testament alone to this things BAD ASSERY!

When I live over west coast one day I will hunt your bug out.

HATS OFF, HANDS DOWN, FUCKING BAD ASS!

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Bad assery indeed!
Applause Applause
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Looks great.....nicely preserved.
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Looks great.....nicely preserved.

Thanks guys. I have been out driving the car around and enjoying it. Surprisingly I have had to fix nothing! It just cruises along and rides super smooth. Happy so far Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/aircooledvintageworks/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Great work J... 👊👍
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Rich's 50 wrote:
Great work J... 👊👍

Thanks dude. I have been cruising it around. Its a great car and Im happy with it.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Wow, time for an update, a bunch has happened in the last few months...

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

So here comes a long overdue update on my preservation project. I got the car as dialed in as I could before Prado but due to family commitments I was not able to make that show. I knew that Classic was a go since the rest of my DBK brothers would have a lineup there, I had to be there. The last few items on the car just fell into place leading up to that weekend. As I stated before in this thread, this car is an original Econo Motors sold bug so finding a plate frame had always been on my to do list. A week before the show a repro frame popped up for sale so I grabbed it. Its not OG, but it does the job and looks the part so Im happy with it.

Those frames are surprisingly hard to find for being a repro but thankfully the search is over. I also finalized the engine wires and fuel lines, tucking them back and away as much as possible. I also vented the breather to atmosphere to release the crankcase pressure. I added the missing allen headed screws to the front tin after I took the photo, and called the engine complete.

So the morning of the Classic, I hopped in the bug and made the 65 mile drive up the 5 freeway to the show. It was by far the longest drive I have ever taken in the bug and the first time on the freeway since the build. The car ran flawlessly and did a good job of staying with traffic. I parked in the DBK display and hung out for a few hours.

The ride hone took 3 agonizing hours due to LA traffic! I went from 65/70 mph to 10 mph for long stretches and it sucked but I have to say, the little car just putted along like a champ and never got hot, never complained, nothing. Im sold on the reliability of this car and it proved itself to me. On the way home I stopped at the same spot the car died on me a few days after I bought it when the carb spit its plug out. I like the before and after on these pics.

During the build I have been talking with Niels at Airmighty about featuring the bug once it was finished. At the Classic I met up with Alex from Flatfour Media and we set up a time to shoot the car after the show. A week later he was down here in San Diego and we met up at Cardiff state beach to do the shoot. I took only a few photos myself but I have to say, the ones he took were out of control and the feature will be epic.

A few of Alex doing his thing

A cool engine shot

And One I took over his shoulder of the car and interior which will turn out much nicer on his camera I'm sure!

So watch for the car to hit Airmighty in the coming issues, not sure which one though. I also talked to Shin who wants to shoot it for Hotvws but no date set to do that yet. Pretty cool that these guys see what I see in this car and want to bring it to their subscribers. Since the shoot I have been driving the car and taking it to local shows here in town. Im just enjoying it for now. Ill keep everyone posted on updates as they happen.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Bad ass looks sick as hell.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

very very cool car, I'm totally stealing your engine colour for my red ragtop!

Laughing
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Skim wrote:

Thanks man. I have been watching your bus build and its coming along. Im about to start my own bus project next.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Well, its time to move on to my Bus build so I listed the Bug for sale today.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2092097

I will be sad to see it go, but someone is going to get a KILLER car that needs nothing but a new driver. Smile

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

kinkerstinker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

i think i'm in shock!
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

kinkerstinker wrote:
i think i'm in shock!

I think someone is going to get a stellar car, and I will miss it, but it is time to move on.

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

jasonvw wrote:
Skim wrote:

Thanks man. I have been watching your bus build and its coming along. Im about to start my own bus project next.

Look forward to seeing the bus project!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
jasonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
jasonvw wrote:
Skim wrote:

Look forward to seeing the bus project!

Thanks. The Model Kombi is my next project. Getting it back on the road and cleaned up. Looks like the bug is sold and off to NC to a new owner. On to the next one Smile thanks for following along

DBK Car Club

Follow me on Instagram:

frvngn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

jasonvw wrote:
a comparison shot of the OG paint before and after some buffer action.

Its hard to top those old VW single stage paints.

Stellar car BTW!

Can I ask what you used to bring back the OG shine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

we need more threads like this. Good Stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ph262644
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

I am super excited to be the new owner of this incredible build. She will be making her way across country to her new home in NC in the next day or so. Thanks Jason!
myvolks1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Preserving Ruby, my 1963 Patina restoration project Reply with quote

Where did you jack up the car from to install the motor. Looks like you first rolled it up onto the car ramps then jacked it up from somewhere in the center.

I would like to do it this way, but don't want to damage anything with the jack is why I ask what was your process.

Thanks,

jasonvw wrote:
With Prado and Classic quickly coming up I knew I had to get the car done to make the shows so I was able to convince my buddy Atomic Jay to come back down and finish the car with me. We started on Saturday and finished up Sunday by dinner time.

This is where we started

First order of business was to cut, reroute and extend all the engine wires so they could be cleaned up, and hidden. Jason did an awesome job of making them tuck into their new homes behind the motor as much as possible. Then I got the car was up in the air to get the motor in.

its pretty nerve wracking at this point because everything is detailed and painted so any scratches would suck. going was slow...

Once the motor was in we laid the new extended harnesses out so they could be cut to length and hidden. This worked out really well because you can make them exact.

And this is how it looked with the coil behind the shroud, all power wires hooked up. Pretty clean.

Carbs going back on

All hooked up now. I plan to reroute the distributor wires and oil pressure wire too but for right now, it just needed to function.

Overalls of the motor in and tin on.

Once those last few wires are hidden it will look super clean, exactly what I was after. One thing that popped up after the motor was in, was that the car was super low in the back.

Although it looks awesome, its just a bit too far down for me so we reindexed the 4 inch drop plates by a few inner splines to get it back to the right height and called it good.

WANTED: DEET EICHEL (Modesto, CA), license plate frames and other Deet Eichel related items.

Wanted: Original VW
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: