Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Second Chance at a Crew Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Finally finished cleaning up the gas tank compartment. I also installed a new tank from WW. The night before I installed the fuel tank, I read a thread on this site that said to rebuild the fuel tap before reinstallation. Did I listen to the warning...noooo! I figured, it didn't leak when it came off the tank, so it won't like once it is reinstalled. Was I wrong! A gas puddle, a siphoning session, and an order to WW later, the tap was rebuilt and the problem was resolved. The bus is back on the road!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next up, I removed the speedo and sent it off to Ryan. I have a high hopes, as I've seen his incredible work on other members speedos.

Can't wait to get my speedo back!

Current: '60 Double Cab
Previous: '65 Double Cab (stolen)
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the hole on the steering column, right below the steering column support is? I don't remember this on my previous bus. It makes me a like nervous because it is open to the actual steering column. If debris got inside, I'm concerned my steering might get jammed up.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

It looks like that might be the slot for a steering column lock?

Example

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Thanks Everett! That's what it has to be, considering the location matches perfectly. I did a quick search online, seems like a tough part to find. I'll go without for now.

velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

x2 on steering lock (perhaps there is an mcode for this?) . when a steering lock was present the regular ignition location usually got a plastic cap over the existing hole as per

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Cool pics from the owner's manual! Unfortunately, my m-code plate is missing, so I don't know if this is factory or an add-on by a previous owner.

mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

The Double Cab flexes from Long Beach to Texas. Moved from the LBC to Dallas and the bus got the royal treatment from someone named Lucky.

Loading the bus.

Joe Jost's representing (It's a Long Beach thing).

The crew made it to North Dallas in one piece! Boy that's a long way up in the air!

Back on Terra Firma

Now that I'm in North Dallas (Frisco, Tx) anyone have a reco for a good body/paint shop as the restoration will commence, once I finish unpacking all these damn moving boxes.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Congrats on the relocation! Man, I hope that is your shack in the background. Now that you're in the Midwest, drive that DC beast up to Missouri this coming weekend to the BNNTA event, as there will be several ultra nice DC's coming , and there can never be enough of these old DCs in one place!

So what is the deal-eo with the gold-ish colored front hubcap? Welcome to the heartland!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Thanks Bill!

We are blessed with a nice pad here in Texas. You can get a lot more for you money than you can in California. Plus the Crew Cab gets it's own garage!

I'd love to make it up there for the event, and I will one of these times,
but first I need to finish unpacking my sh*t.

Those custom gold hubcaps are just nicely dusted with rust. I can't see putting nice shiny ones on until I get to some of the body work (lipstick on a pig). I should probably just take'em off.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

mdubg wrote:
Thanks Bill!

We are blessed with a nice pad here in Texas. You can get a lot more for you money than you can in California. Plus the Crew Cab gets it's own garage!

I'd love to make it up there for the event, and I will one of these times,
but first I need to finish unpacking my sh*t.

Those custom gold hubcaps are just nicely dusted with rust. I can't see putting nice shiny ones on until I get to some of the body work (lipstick on a pig). I should probably just take'em off.

Congrats on the move. I left Long Beach in the summer of 1999. I'm about 20 minutes away near Denton. My buddy Ryan is finishing up a nice OG paint 59 deluxe in Frisco. Hit me up if you need anything. Welcome to Texas.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

I got my Double's birth certificate in the mail today. My M-code plate was missing like half of us on this site, so I didn't know the numbers. No surprises, except for the M-code m361. I've searched around a bit, but not found a conclusive, non-confused answer to what m361 contained. Everyone says it is collection of things some that don't sound right on a DC (including Chrome hubcaps, Body ready to be outfitted as a camper). Has anyone gotten to the bottom of what m361 actually had?
[/img]

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Your truck is 4 months newer than mine. I also have M code 361 and have not been able to figure out what it is. It certainly was an option package of some sort. Here is a shot of the Birth certificate for mine that also shows code 361.

mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Well, my Double Cab is now officially a Texas vehicle. The old plates weren't available in Texas livery, but I'm happy with what I got, especially in a state with so many crew cab trucks (non-VW).

Good bye California Republic

Hello Texas Republic

mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Took the Crew Cab to Cars and Coffee this morning in Plano, Tx. I wanted to make at least one visit with the DC before the resto tear down begins.

Lots of late model German cars (understandable considering a BMW dealership hosts), but only a few air coolers. The black '58 Bug next to my bus had an absolute mirror finish. The Owner was asked by everyone, including me, where it was painted.

Had a great time, and met good peeps!

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

mdubg wrote:
Hello Texas Republic

Tell-it-like-it-is plate!

Flat plates used to be not allowed but in the last few years lots of states have been issuing them. I wonder what changed regarding that.
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Yeah, all of Texas plates are flat. It's almost like having a stiff printed piece of paper. It definitely doesn't help our vintage cars with a non-vintage looking plate. The best I could do, was get a "old" looking color combo.

ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

mdubg wrote:
Took the Crew Cab to Cars and Coffee this morning in Plano, Tx. I wanted to make at least one visit with the DC before the resto tear down begins.

Lots of late model German cars (understandable considering a BMW dealership hosts), but only a few air coolers. The black '58 Bug next to my bus had an absolute mirror finish. The Owner was asked by everyone, including me, where it was painted.

Had a great time, and met good peeps!

What are you plans for a resto? This one seems too nice from the photos you posted to strip it down and do a full restoration.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Look at that crew cab laughing at all those cars in front of it...

“ when you guys are 57 years old, you’ll all be toasters....”

Laughing
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

“ when you guys are 57 years old, you’ll all be toasters....”

Laughing

That's funny as hell! Cool From Beamer to Sunbeam.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mdubg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Second Chance at a Crew Cab Reply with quote

Started the tear-down. I know the bus looks good over all, but there's a bit (not a lot) of rust lurking underneath. Seems like the last paint job was ok, but they slathered 1/8-3/4 of an inch of bondo over the entire vehicle. The bed was sprayed with bedliner but that let the rust fester where the bed meets the cab separation panel. Both the bed and separation panel are coming off. I'm only a couple working days (kids and wife permitting) from completing the disassembly. Next step is finding a great shop to help with the body work. I'd do it myself but my experience is limited to turning wrenches. I welded back in school (20 years ago), but I wasn't very good. One day, my shop teacher accused me of falling asleep in the welding booth, my welds were just that bad.

Kodiak, the dog, doesn't have alien eyes in real life.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: