Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Survivor Restore
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

Totally, I am doing one tomorrow. Break in dual fuel filters religiously too Wink
Yes, it really does feel great. It's not a new engine, but I've pulled my other AE 1600 DP case down to a short, soon to split the case and bring it in to be checked. If it's in good condition, I will have it built into a 1776. Is $1500 a good price for an engine rebuild?

From my research, $1500 is an excellent price. Id be cautious of the quality, unless you complete the rebuild yourself.

Itd be done by a guy who only uses German, quality parts. I will try to ask around and get some reviews of his work, but he is an off the grid sort of dude.. I don't know if I will get too much info from anyone.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:

Totally, I am doing one tomorrow. Break in dual fuel filters religiously too Wink
Yes, it really does feel great. It's not a new engine, but I've pulled my other AE 1600 DP case down to a short, soon to split the case and bring it in to be checked. If it's in good condition, I will have it built into a 1776. Is $1500 a good price for an engine rebuild?

From my research, $1500 is an excellent price. Id be cautious of the quality, unless you complete the rebuild yourself.

Itd be done by a guy who only uses German, quality parts. I will try to ask around and get some reviews of his work, but he is an off the grid sort of dude.. I don't know if I will get too much info from anyone.

And I would bring it to him split, and have him do the whole job, all the way to installed heads.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Haven't posted in an update in a bit.. I am moving into my bus in May and will be doing the interior upfit soon. Heres some pictures for the time being.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Moving in to the bus in late may, and traveling- so Here goes the camper interior build!

Obviously haven't finished installing them but this is a final mock up.
Picking up my Z bed on Saturday and then starting my cabinet designs / Roof rack build.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

All of your photos are dead Sad
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Liking your bus. I too am working on a `71. I have about the same exhaust that once lived on my Baja before I got a proper off road one, glad I saw you using it. Nown I believe mine will work.

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I'm not having any issues seeing the photos. They seem to work perfectly.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
All of your photos are dead Sad

I have heard that a couple of times, but have never had a problem.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

It is because you have access to whatever you are using to upload images, where as some do not have access to that location. TheSamba requests that you post through their site to prevent dead links.

Here is a link to information on how to post pictures to TheSamba:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
It is because you have access to whatever you are using to upload images, where as some do not have access to that location. TheSamba requests that you post through their site to prevent dead links.

Access? They would only not have access if they're on a school computer or in Thailand. Hahha

I know, I prefer uploading on a third party site.. I might switch over at some point.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Access? They would only not have access if they're on a school computer or in Thailand. Hahha

I know, I prefer uploading on a third party site.. I might switch over at some point.

or a work computer

It is also preferred so that 5-10 years down the road thesamba can assure your pictures are still working independent of other sites.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

or a work computer

It is also preferred so that 5-10 years down the road thesamba can assure your pictures are still working independent of other sites.

Yeah it makes sense. I will work on using the samba gallery.. Kind of hard when posting from a phone but I will do my best. Very Happy
bobsurfhb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

What sound deadening are you using?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

ThisMetalMess wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
ThisMetalMess wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

or a work computer

Yeah it makes sense. I will work on using the samba gallery.. Kind of hard when posting from a phone but I will do my best. Very Happy

Yeah, from a phone it isn't great. I deal with that too. There isn't a way for you to select multiple photos at once. But overall, I find it important.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

bobsurfhb wrote:
What sound deadening are you using?

Noico 50 mil. 50 sqft covers the whole cargo area, rear hatch area and slider and opposite side. I bought 2x so i can do the front area and under all door cards as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00URR4O5I/ref=sr_ph_1?i...+deadening
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I tried the samba gallery. It'll work for some situations Wink

Got my hitch and rear bumper installed.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

birddog1148 wrote:
Liking your bus. I too am working on a `71. I have about the same exhaust that once lived on my Baja before I got a proper off road one, glad I saw you using it. Nown I believe mine will work.

Yeah, I like the muffler enough.. It is a little louder than the stock one which is not ideal for me, but I am going to replace the muffler part after the flange and see if it quits down a bit. Just dealing with constantly loosening exhaust nuts and I need to find out why, I think I am going to switch over to regular nuts with wavey lock washers.

AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

I am about 1/3 of the way done with my roof rack. Did it all today after work:

Istquai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Nice Smile

What thickness of tube?
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My New Project: 1971 Deluxe Servivor Restore Reply with quote

Istquai wrote:
Nice Smile

What thickness of tube?

. 065 3/4 mild steel.
I work at a steel supply / fab shop and talked a few custom fab rack guys ears off before deciding.. I was skeptical to use such thin tube but as they all said the same thing, I went with it and it turned out strong!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: