Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Snap Dragon" by CaveVan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Couple of finishing touches I've been waiting on. The owner wanted new Peace Sign stickers to replace the ones I took off. I told him I could come up with a better solution Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LongmontLou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Couple of finishing touches I've been waiting on. The owner wanted new Peace Sign stickers to replace the ones I took off. I told him I could come up with a better solution Wink

Pretty awesome! Nice job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Thank you.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

We are about to start the second phase of the Snap Dragon build. Really just some details we knew we wanted but had to leave out of the initial build due to time.

Here is a teaser.

Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Where did you find the peace signs?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Summers420us wrote:

We had them custom made for us.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
Summers420us wrote:

We had them custom made for us.

I was curious about those too -- wondering in particular what material they are made out of, and what technique was used to create them (e.g. hand sculpted as one-offs in hardening polymer clay, CAD modeled and then 3D printed or CNC'd, etc. etc.) Feel free to share details if you can/want to. Smile (Totally OK if not though.)

Either way, they look great! Smile Bravo to both the person who thought of them, and the person who made them. Applause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Snap Dragon came back for another round of upgrades that we wanted to do the first time but just didn't have the time for.

We stripped the interior all the way back down and covered every surface with Hushmat and then 3M Thinsulate insulation. The goal is to make this van super luxurious to drive and camp in. It is far quieter inside and retains its heat much better.

Which in turn means you don't have to run the HVAC nearly as hard to keep the temp you want when driving. Which of course helps keep it quieter.

You can see some of the Hushmat on the fender well here and the Thinsulate in the walls.

Next up we installed a Webasto ST2000 Petrol furnace. This run right off the gasoline in the gas tank. Its plummet into the rear floor heating vent so that there are no additional holes or vents inside the van.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a finished install picture. But this will give you some idea. We will be putting one of these in JakeFromStateFarm's van too.

Exhaust tip on driver side.

I made a few changes to the dual yeti mount under the seat to keep them even more secure.

Custom Yellow seat belts installed.

We also added some L-track gear tie down points around the van for various things.

KGB Pilot125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Boy that is a sharp looking rear fender well!

That thing is going to be awesome to cruise around in and especially camp in. They should have a great summer.
ebowk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Nice work Cole!

I'm curious how you wired up (or down) the GoalZero solar panel from the roof? I'm looking at adding a similar set-up with a Yeti 400 and a new Boulder 100 panel for an upcoming cross-country trip in my 03 Weekender.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

ebowk wrote:
Nice work Cole!

I'm curious how you wired up (or down) the GoalZero solar panel from the roof? I'm looking at adding a similar set-up with a Yeti 400 and a new Boulder 100 panel for an upcoming cross-country trip in my 03 Weekender.

Wires run through the roof with a marine pass through. Then down inside the wall panels and to the dual Yetis under the seat.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:

Next up we installed a Webasto ST2000 Petrol furnace. This run right off the gasoline in the gas tank. Its plummet into the rear floor heating vent so that there are no additional holes or vents inside the van.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take a finished install picture. But this will give you some idea. We will be putting one of these in JakeFromStateFarm's van too.

Exhaust tip on driver side.

Cole, is this heater install still performing well? Was the exhaust re-routed after this picture to eliminate the dip and aim the outlet downward or did it remain as shown? How did you connect the heat to the rear blower assembly? Do you have any additional pictures or tips for installing the ST2000 like this under the van? Or a separate thread on it?

Also, did you have that enclosure bent up special for this? is it Aluminum? Stainless? Is the enclosure flanged and screwed/bolted to the body? Where and how did you tap into the gas tank? Are there any special or specific parts like the fuel pickup that you kept track of the part numbers?

Thanks! And nice work on this T4, it's very impressive.
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

Cole, is this heater install still performing well? Was the exhaust re-routed after this picture to eliminate the dip and aim the outlet downward or did it remain as shown? How did you connect the heat to the rear blower assembly? Do you have any additional pictures or tips for installing the ST2000 like this under the van? Or a separate thread on it?

Also, did you have that enclosure bent up special for this? is it Aluminum? Stainless? Is the enclosure flanged and screwed/bolted to the body? Where and how did you tap into the gas tank? Are there any special or specific parts like the fuel pickup that you kept track of the part numbers?

^^Yes - I would also love to know these details if you are willing to share. Snap Dragon looks great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

VAEV1993 wrote:
markcm2 wrote:

^^Yes - I would also love to know these details if you are willing to share. Snap Dragon looks great.

We have installed a bunch of these since this van. All up and running well.

We are actually a Webasto dealer now and can put together a kit for these in the Eurovan.

-The box is stainless steel and the lid bolts to the chassis and the rest of the assembly sits in the box and then bolts to the lid.

-Exhaust has basically stayed as shown on that van. The rest angle back a bit. Its a bit of a tricky spot as the exhaust has to work past the evap canister under the van.

-If you look at your rear heater assembly under the van you will see that front drivers side has a flat spot on it. This side is also the "open" side to the floor vent. We simply drill a 2.5"(ish) hole on that flat surface and bolt a round flange to it for the Webasto hose to attach to. Works really well.

I can take some more pictures when we do another one.

-We have been mounting the controller up near the light above the table. Looks factory there.

-The Eurovan requires a fuel tap be put into the fuel tank. Which requires dropping the tank and drilling a hole. (new fuel tap in the picture is the metal fitting with the black hose coming out of it)

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Are you installing hydronic heaters also? I’ve got an eberspacher hydronic, that I’m going to be installing this summer. Curious as to where you locate it.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VAEV1993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

markcm2 wrote:

-Exhaust has basically stayed as shown on that van. The rest angle back a bit. Its a bit of a tricky spot as the exhaust has to work past the evap canister under the van.

-If you look at your rear heater assembly under the van you will see that front drivers side has a flat spot on it. This side is also the "open" side to the floor vent. We simply drill a 2.5"(ish) hole on that flat surface and bolt a round flange to it for the Webasto hose to attach to. Works really well.

I can take some more pictures when we do another one.

-We have been mounting the controller up near the light above the table. Looks factory there.

-The Eurovan requires a fuel tap be put into the fuel tank. Which requires dropping the tank and drilling a hole. (new fuel tap in the picture is the metal fitting with the black hose coming out of it)

/810/41280639031_689969ff87_c.jpg[/img]

Thanks! - great info
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

EV heaters seems like it deserves its own thread. Cole, if you do collect more information and pictures to share, maybe consider starting a new thread for the topic.

My friend who I've been working on the engine pull, timing chain replacement, transmission rebuild with just installed a webasto STC2000 (yes, the european version st"c") behind the driver's seat, I could post some about his experience as well.

I'm pretty sure we will be installing a heater in my van now that I've seen how awesome it is, and maybe a cellular remote too. My other friend with a syncro vanagon has one of these and says it's icing on the cake: http://gsm-start.com/en/webasto-eberspacher/parking-heater-gsm-remote-control
chrslws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

Love your work, Cole. Any more info on the flooring? Is it just installed over the carpet?

EDIT: Nevermind, found your site and your listing for precut flooring. Tempting!
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

chrslws wrote:
Love your work, Cole. Any more info on the flooring? Is it just installed over the carpet?

EDIT: Nevermind, found your site and your listing for precut flooring. Tempting!

Thanks.

It should be noted that at the moment the plain grey flooring on the website is different than the flooring I actually install in vans now.

The stuff in SnapDragon and the other vans is a much higher quality marine grade 3 layer UV resistant anti-microbial flooring. It comes in about 40 styles and would cost about 2x the amount as the plain grey stuff on my site (which is what is still in my own personal Eurovan fwiw).

I’d be happy to precut the premium flooring for people in the color of their choice. It’s just going to cost a bit more and take a little bit more time since it would be special order.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Snap Dragon" by CaveVan Reply with quote

@Xtremjeepn

Heater:

+1 on @markcm2's comment re: starting another thread if you get around to posting more pictures on the heater front.

Also FWIW: a Webasto heater + your install kit + some step-by-step instructions (with pictures!) = very compelling product, for someone like myself. I'm reasonably sure I could figure out how to install one of these things on my own, but electronics + gasoline rerouting + intentionally putting fire under one's own van is JUST intimidating enough that I'd happily pay for the "hand-holding knowledge transfer" that would come from that combination, purchased directly from CaveVan.

Flooring:

Flooring material (open to anyone else as well): I'm interested in replacing the carpet up front as well (01-03 EV Weekenders). Have you tried that with the flooring material you're using and selling? Any positive results, or does that area have too many compound curves? If the latter, any alternative suggestions?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: