Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA"
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

Hi there, listed on Scats site for these carbs is an "optional port" for SVDA Distributors. Is this what I'm looking at here? It's on the back of the carb. Is there any reason this can't be used for a pretronix distributor?

Many thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1975 Buggy underdevelopment
insta @boldroguebuggy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

I don't think that is it? That would be full vacuum for accessories I believe.
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense. I've looked for a diagram for these carbs, but there's little to none. So I don't know what I'm looking for.....

I see no vacuum ports, but can one be added? This is the front.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

insta @boldroguebuggy

Last edited by jaymonkey on Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

Looks like the Scat Manifold adaptor is the only way to get a Vacuum Port on that carb. It would work it's just not what I was thinking would have the correct vacuum curve for the SVDA. From what I've read the P-40 is not a vary desirable carb. A lot of CFM's Flow though!. The Dellorto's Have Vacuum hook up's . Carburetor Airflow Comparisons for the VW.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

I don't feel that I received the best advice on the Carb/Distributor combo when I bought it. I know these aren't the best carbs and thought upgrading to a pertronix SVDA would help.
insta @boldroguebuggy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

Did you find this: http://www.speedsterowners.com/topic/has-anyone-ported-a-solex-40-44-carb-for-vacuum-advance-1 not sure if it's your carb though.
jaymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

I didn't see that thread. I'll read it now.

Is the problem with using that port in the first picture too much advance at idle?
insta @boldroguebuggy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scat P40 Dual carb kit with "Optional Port for SVDA" Reply with quote

It might be mine has 10 hg at idle!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: