Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spark Plugs burning ok?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

What do you guys think of this burn on the plugs? 2017 on dual webers.

Two richer ones are from right side, two leaner ones are on left side. Thinking right side should be leaned out a bit.

Getting pops under acceleration after about 20 min of continuous drive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Slightly warm. Id try a Colder plug.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Probably it's the lean side that's causing the pops! Mine at 15000 miles: #3 Spark Plug
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Jfats why do you think a colder plug? NGK B5ES are in there now.

Black carbon around base of plug look good?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

I agree, try a NGK "6".

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

The prong strap itself shows how hot (or cold) your plug is by the heat transfer mark on the strap. From the firing end to abouts halfway is considered with in heat range. Too close to the tip is cold, too warm is close to the strap base.
I used to have a saved page on my phone with sites on reading plugs and t -mobile did some upgrade and I can't find it now.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Gotcha both...thanks.

Should I do any leaning or fattening on either side giving the difference in color, or just put plugs in and try again before I touch anything else?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

do plugs first.

Trying to read plugs with unleaded fuel is mostly a waste of time. Plugs don't color well with unleaded.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

I agree wong plug range. pop's are usualy leen condition. check float level's and carb sync.
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

The owner of my local Napa suggested the B6HS as the old plug seem to be sticking several threads into the cylinder. Thoughts?

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Oh my what an issue you are in now. do you know anything about the heads? You sure don't want to have the plug hitting the cylinder top.
My opinion on the plugs is they are really close to the correct range. With no lead in the fuel anymore the plugs stay clean.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

The old plugs is what came in the motor from Chico Performance. They seem to clear the piston, but you can see several of the threads appearing to be sticking out into the head with the darker build up.

I can either go back to the same long ones one step colder or use these shorter ones.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

make sure the plugs match the heads.

Also, do not under ANY circumstances, use never-seize. I see some on your plug threads, that is not good in my experience.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Also, do not under ANY circumstances, use never-seize. I see some on your plug threads, that is not good in my experience.
ditto x4
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

I have used "anti" seize on all alluminum heads since 1984 with zero problems, the only times I have seen problems is when plugs were installed dry. Just currious as why you say not to use it?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

How can I check if they match the head? I am looking at the old plug and see that at least 3 of the threads have black carbon on them, so assuming they are protruding out. If installed put those plugs in, should I assume they are right, or go shorter?
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

I think the easiest way to see if your heads are for long reach plugs is to take a piece of wire and bend it like a hook, mark with a marker at the top of the plug hole and compare it with the plug itself.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

I can't even count how many times I've seen mysterious misfires cleared up when it was removed. At least over 100x.

mcmscott wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I have used "anti" seize on all alluminum heads since 1984 with zero problems, the only times I have seen problems is when plugs were installed dry. Just currious as why you say not to use it?

HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

Idea NGK BP6HS or BP7HS (latter in my Turbo bug)
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs burning ok? Reply with quote

I would put bosche platinums in it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: