Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Two Engine Codes
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Two Engine Codes Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I have recently purchased a 1968 Type 1, Autostick to restore and I am trying to figure everything out. This is my first air cooled VW and have been learning a whole lot by reading the Samba posts. You all are a great resource. I know the autostick is not everyone's favorite but I could not pass this one up. It spent most of its life in sunny California but ended up in Kentucky. It is the most solid original car I have seen in KY - and the autostick currently works great Very Happy .

Now to my question. I have been trying to check everything out on it. My long term goal is to put in a 1776. Since everything works great right now, this will be done on down the road. I am trying to research the engine case to see if it would be a candidate for a future rebuild. My case has a metal tag attached over where the case ID should be located. It has two case numbers on it B5550 and AD486906. Does this mean that the motor started as a B5 and was replaced by the dealer at some point to an AD? Based on what I have read the AD cases were not used in the US. The engine is a dual relief, single port with the correct vacuum distributor and 30 PICT 2 carb. If my thoughts are correct, is there any reason that this engine would not be suitable for a 1776 upgrade? I would change the heads and carb. Thanks!!!

I know everyone wants a photo. Smile

Oh yeah. I have new fresh air tubes ordered. I am sure someone will catch that. Thanks again!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Engine Codes Reply with quote

It's a VEGE rebuild distributed by ATK. They were usually stock rebuilds of high quality
One of many threads on this
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=329527&start=0
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
68Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Engine Codes Reply with quote

Very interesting. Thank you very much for the information. That gives me something else to research.

Does this mean that the case is probably and AD that would be suitable for a future rebuild? I know most people shy away from the H and B cases. Thanks.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Engine Codes Reply with quote

I've had very good luck with H cases- just not what you want for a stroker- but have made several 1600's with them and set up stock the work fine. You do need to check for the upper #3 cylinder head stud crack- and don't over oil pump them.

1776 is not an extreme engin.

If you can find a nice 041 or 021 case and build it while you drive this one- it might be wise.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Two Engine Codes Reply with quote

You can pry the plate off and see what it is. I personally think it is a 8mm head stud case because of those little horizontal casting lines to the left of the dip stick. Earlier cases didn't have those.

If you build it bigger (and probably a different carb setup) you will need to supply the autostick with vacuum........something to consider.

I know the autosticks are the red headed step child of VW geeks but, I really liked them. I owned a '69 auto and it was a cool car.....wish I had it back. I posted a story in the "Story" section of this forum about how I acquired that car. pretty funny.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: