Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Long story short, Precision Motors in Regina, Sask where I had my van towed Sat evg, tells me I need a new transmission.

So, in search of a 1993 Eurovan Transmision; used, remanufactured or crated

He hasn't been able to find one and they no longer make new ones.

He will keep looking but suggested I do as well, given that I am now stranded in Regina.

Anyone out there have any leads or suggestions -- or a 1993 Eurovan trainee sitting idle in your back yard? LOL

Fingers crossed we find one quickly, Patricia

PS. The back story leading up to this is post is at http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8150295#8150295 IF anyone is interested.
Double0_Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

You may want to post this in the Classified - Parts section as a WTB ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=76
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Was that a stand alone transmission for an EV or did they use some other VW Group AT that year?

Can someone who knows the product line add info here so we can explore all options?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

About 2k here

http://europeantransmissionscom.x-shops.com/shop/home.php?cat=530

call 1-770-888-1499 Phone Support offert Monday through Friday 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST, or use our email support at: [email protected]
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Hi Patrica -- rotten luck but time to get it fixed.

Here is a transporter being parted out in Saskatoon:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-engine-parts/sa...nFlag=true

It's a manual and geared for the diesel - but you might want to consider it as you could probably pick up the whole thing for cheep and have it transferred/converted over at the shop.

Then here is a van on it's last legs in Calgary (altough he says the trans is going): http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1993-vo...nFlag=true

A 94 manual gas -- in St.Albert: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-albert/volks...nFlag=true

Wow it even has a dash cubby and the upper glove box!!! Shocked
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Sorry to hear....hope one comes up.

Any chance there's a speciality transmission shop in the area? I know other local shops have built the eurovan transmissions but I'm not sure about the early ones.

Is there not a rebuilt kit available?

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

I appreciate the suggestions - sent off a few emails and will see what I get back. Don't know that manual would work out as mine is an automatic.

Having a challenge identifying the core number of the one in mine. Supposed to be inscribed on the top near where it bolts to the engine, but after a 1 hr search, mechanic still can't find it.

?? Not at all clear why one year would have 5 different core numbers -- that makes no sense to me. Does it depend on where they were made or ? No idea!

But no point having one shipped across country or even from next province if it won't fit.
Going to sleep on it and hope for something to turn up tomorrow.
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

It would be a 098, no? Can they not rebuild it? Or are some hard parts broken?

There's not that much difference between the 098 and the later 01P in terms of usual rebuild parts.

Call Makco transmissions?
The Snook
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

$1850.00 for a rebuilt transmission? Anyone know a general labor cost for swappimg them? Somehow this sounds cheap...... Question
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

I'll swag it at 10 hours labour, so BOAT roughly.

Trans 1850
Core 750
Labour 1000

4k all in.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

I believe this van still has the trans in it: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1820985
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Jonwid wrote:
It would be a 098, no? Can they not rebuild it? Or are some hard parts broken?

There's not that much difference between the 098 and the later 01P in terms of usual rebuild parts.

Call Makco transmissions?

This would be my vote. Find a local transmission rebuilder with a good reputation and rebuild what you have.

This is what the previous owners did with my eurovan - total cost was about $2800. The rebuild kit was like 400 something.

And if one shop does everything they will give some sort of warranty. If you buy a transmission from one shop and have another mechanic to install it then the shop that does the labor can't warranty the replacement.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Seems to me that VW has made in unnecessarily complicated; if the 5 different code numbers are for manual 4 & 5 speed, diesel, automatic and ? Adding an M, D, A or ? To the code number would have made it all much simpler.

Apparently the stamp on 'my' transmission was poorly done and is illegible. Mechanic tried to figure it out using a Vindecoder (??) -- to no avail.

A lot of suggestions here about changing the van from automatic to manual ... Way out of my depth on this. Assume harnessing and more would be involved and would take significantly more parts and shop time, yes no?

I have driven a standard before ... So that's not the issue.
Now wishing I'd taken Shop instead of Art in high school ... Back in the day. LOL
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Update:
Sent message to that van you posted link for Mr Brown ... Yes, trannie is still in it; he has no idea what the code is. Seems to think code is on left side not top.
On top would make more sense, but then what do I know. LOL
His van is in Kelowna and has 200,000 miles on it.

THINK mechanic in Regina is going to pull it this pm or in the am and perhaps then we will have the code.
Really don't want to go thru process of changing from automatic onto manual at a garage; easy enough for a guy to do in garage at home with unlimited hours of sweat equity to invest ... One guy said he did this in just 3 days of labour ... No way can I afford that kind of shop time. LOL

Needs to be quick and easy ... Fewer things to go wrong, no need to run harness in unusual way, etc, etc. !!
Likely to develop a whole new set of challenges, I'm no match for, down the road. Will keep looking for an actual match ... And once it's out see if possible to rebuild or if really beyond repair.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

Patrippia,

I just skimmed this thread, but if you're looking for a fully rebuilt transmission, or having someone rebuild the one you have, have you talked to these guys?: http://germantransaxle.com/

I've come across numerous positive references to them in various places, both online and off.

Best of luck in your search!

IdeaNerd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonwid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

I'm sure the German Transaxles are units are superb. But they are $4K plus core. You still have to pay the removal and installation.
I'm curious, how did your 098 trans fail? What are the symptoms of its demise?

Is there no trans rebuilder in the local area for you?

I recently got a quote of $4K-USD from a local trans rebuilder in SoCali who is old school and who knows the AGM family (01P and 01M) gearboxes very well. And that price includes R&R.
Patrippia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

So tired ... will update tomorrow.
Myself and my mechanic both heard of and looked at http://germantransaxle.com/ early today. Very reputable I believe ... still means bring in from us with our exchange rate not even close to par.

MAY have a lead on something in Canada ... will see how tomorrow unfolds once they pull the transmission ... seems it may have just died /exploded from with in. No rational reason for it to date.

Mañana, p
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

they would have different codes for different configurations..
some early 92-93 EVs were offered with a 2.0l 4cyl.
maybe a code with and without a AT cooler.
but most of the differences would be in the final drive ratio of the ring and pinion and not specific to the AT internals.

jut to add to the conversation I 'think' this is the AT rebuild kit if you go local.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-098-01P-Master-...2ef1c2f7b4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

For Canadians to bring in anything from the stateside is cost prohibitive -- it really stings. No free shipping, duty and a less favourable exchange rate all hurt a lot. Try and find a local solution - and there are more vans of your vintage here in Canada as well where 92-94 GLs here are dirt cheap.

I think if you can find any good auto transmission from a 2.5L -- you should be good as long as they provide the transmission computer as well. If you don't get the transmission from JohnnyVW in Kelowna (he's a real swell guy BTW whom I bought some parts from) -- then consider that $1500 van in Calgary. It's close enough to me that I check it out for you -- and then its only a couple hours away from you now too. You could buy it, use the transmission and the sell the carcass. Lots of good independent repairs shops here that can do this work -- I might know somebody who can do this on the side for you as well.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for used, remanuf'd or crate 1993 Eurovan Transmission Reply with quote

I just sent you a PM of a source in Canada I think will have the transmission you need so check your messages.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: