Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
Problem Solved! It turns out even though I thought I had cleaned the battery ground strap, the threads has a bunch of rust on them creating resistance. I cleaned up the ground and the bus began cranking normally! I was able to fire up the engine and break it in.

Once it had fired up a new problem emerged. The fuel pump was putting out too much pressure and was overwhelming the carb causing the cross shaft to leak fuel. I replaced it with a known Ed Fall carb my buddy had in the bay area and it was the same issue. So I shimmed the fuel pump out a bit and it stopped leaking! The problem now is, the carb is not tunable and this applies to both carbs. The air/fuel mixture screw can be all the way closed and it won't kill the engine. I suspect I need to shim out the fuel pump a bit more and get a gauge to check it to make sure.

The other big thing is there is a rattle seemingly coming from somewhere when you turn the engine. It sounds like something big and metal clanking around. Not good. I'm hoping it has to do with the fan and not something inside the block. I'll have to look at it.

Here it is in the lineup at Kelley Park. No awards, I think Kelley Park is kind of a "painted bus" show because those were all the ones taking home the trophies. But nevertheless it was a good show Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shimming the pump is not the answer it may bandaid your problem but fuelvolume will suffer, if the pump has been rebuilt with the aftermarket kit the springs are too stiff and make too much fuel pressure, find an old stock set of springs and install them, your idle mixture screw should be adjusted at a very low idle to start with, if your idle is too high adjustments to that screw will yield no result because fuel will be pulled thru the venturi instead of idle circuit, I jet my 36's a bit rich as they seem to run a tad better that way that will also cause idle air screw not to respond as well to adjusting

This fuel pump was rebuilt with a Wolfsburg West kit and it was overwhelming the carb on my friends bus. He sold it to me and told me to find an original spring. I did and replaced the spring in the fuel pump with an original spring.

I only shimmed out the pump about a millimeter, I'm thinking that might not have been enough but it's hard to know unless I actually test the pressure. So I'll need to rig up a pressure tester gauge. The Bentley manual says to shim it out if the pressure is above 1.8 psi.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:
Problem Solved! It turns out even though I thought I had cleaned the battery ground strap, the threads has a bunch of rust on them creating resistance. I cleaned up the ground and the bus began cranking normally! I was able to fire up the engine and break it in.

Once it had fired up a new problem emerged. The fuel pump was putting out too much pressure and was overwhelming the carb causing the cross shaft to leak fuel. I replaced it with a known Ed Fall carb my buddy had in the bay area and it was the same issue. So I shimmed the fuel pump out a bit and it stopped leaking! The problem now is, the carb is not tunable and this applies to both carbs. The air/fuel mixture screw can be all the way closed and it won't kill the engine. I suspect I need to shim out the fuel pump a bit more and get a gauge to check it to make sure.

The other big thing is there is a rattle seemingly coming from somewhere when you turn the engine. It sounds like something big and metal clanking around. Not good. I'm hoping it has to do with the fan and not something inside the block. I'll have to look at it.

Here it is in the lineup at Kelley Park. No awards, I think Kelley Park is kind of a "painted bus" show because those were all the ones taking home the trophies. But nevertheless it was a good show Smile
shimming the pump is not the answer it may bandaid your problem but fuelvolume will suffer, if the pump has been rebuilt with the aftermarket kit the springs are too stiff and make too much fuel pressure, find an old stock set of springs and install them, your idle mixture screw should be adjusted at a very low idle to start with, if your idle is too high adjustments to that screw will yield no result because fuel will be pulled thru the venturi instead of idle circuit, I jet my 36's a bit rich as they seem to run a tad better that way that will also cause idle air screw not to respond as well to adjusting

Spring too stiff - I know that is true with the later kits but is that true with the 36hp kits too?
I rebuilt mine in my '55 Bus and it starts and runs normally. I haven't driven very far yet.
My friend just rebuilt his 36hp pump and just put a couple hundred miles on it without issue.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
western auto wrote:
Chris Paterson wrote:

Spring too stiff - I know that is true with the later kits but is that true with the 36hp kits too?
I rebuilt mine in my '55 Bus and it starts and runs normally. I haven't driven very far yet.
My friend just rebuilt his 36hp pump and just put a couple hundred miles on it without issue.
I cant remember what brand the kits I used were but they were new old stock aftermarket, I have not ordered any
new kits recently, for future reference what kit did u buy?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
EverettB wrote:
western auto wrote:

I cant remember what brand the kits I used were but they were new old stock aftermarket, I have not ordered any

Myself - the Wolfsburg West 36hp diaphragm.
I may order another to do a spring comparison.
I saved my original diaphragm.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
western auto wrote:
EverettB wrote:
western auto wrote:

Myself - the Wolfsburg West 36hp diaphragm.
I may order another to do a spring comparison.
I saved my original diaphragm.

Left is Wolfsburg West right is OG
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

Decided to try and get some miles on the bus to see how other things check out. I was not happy with all the noises I am hearing! One noise is like a rattling noise that stops when I engage the clutch:

Audio on for these:

Link

The other is a high-pitched whine that has to do with rolling.

Link

I think both of these are not related to the engine, am I right? What do you y'all think they are? thanks!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

I think that transmission needs some work. Have you checked to see if it has oil?
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
I think that transmission needs some work. Have you checked to see if it has oil?

No I haven't checked the oil :/ I'll check it.
oldbusboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

.. any updates on your noisy bus?

Trevor
Chris Paterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Alaskan Original Paint 58 PGSG Reply with quote

oldbusboy wrote:
.. any updates on your noisy bus?

Trevor

No, unfortunately, I haven't had time or money to look into it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: