Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV replacement questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

It appears it's time to replace one or all of the CVs. Been hearing a soft clicking sound at low speeds. Not always yet. Got under the van and it looks like I have the original ones and the boots are in good shape. I see the metal clamps on the small ends. They may also be original. Not sure as I have no history of the van

Currently have 214K showing on the odo

So in my research I want to go with the Lobros. The kits I see come with the Lobros boots too and rockfords can be purchased separately

So now to the questions

1. Without tearing everything apart Is there a reliable way to tell which one is going bad if it is at an early stage?

2. Do certain ones usually go bad first?

3. Can I expect the originals to keep going or is the end nearing with this many miles? I am wondering if the original quality beats what you can buy today.

4. Opinions on replace just the bad one(s) or do it all now.

5. Would you use the boots that come with the kit or replace the with Rockfords.

The van gets driven about 4-6k a year. Almost all on paved roads. Though I hope to do a little more venturing on the road less travelled. Just really don't. like mid-trip breakdowns and will go to the added expense if it helps prevent one.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Time to pull both axles and clean and inspect the CV parts. Many threads on how to do this. When you can see the parts and any wear you'll be able to decide if any replacement is needed. Let us know what you find.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

way past time

they should never go 200k w/out cleaning/inspection/re-greasing
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

there's pretty much no way they are original at 214K, so definitely take them apart and inspect them. If they are good, regrease them and swap them like the threads here show.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

So I've taken apart the CVs and cleaned them up. Here are some pics of what they looked like. All had some pitting on either inner or outer races and 3 had them in both.

The driver outer side had a little play in it so was not surprised to see the putting in that one but the inner one seemed good before I took it apart so was a little surprised to see the wear there

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ball bearings in the outer also fell out from the cage. The others required a little more effort to remove the ball bearings
I was hoping to only need I new bearing and rotate the rest. Now I will probably go with 4 new Lobros.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Nice work!

Placing new Lobro CV joints on your original axles should give you many miles of trouble-free driving. And the whole job is one of the more satisfying things you can do. Somehow, removing parts where you can easily see the wear and replacing them, then knowing that you should not have to worry about it again for quite a while, is just a great feeling.
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Yup. I'd rather pay more and have some peace of mind. Or as much as you can get with a 34 year old vehicle. This and doing the front has been a lot of rewarding work. It's great having the confidence it's back in shape. Much more enjoyable to drive especially on longer trips.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Very Happy

The Western Syncro build
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Great time to look at replacing or at least lubing rear bearings.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Interested in greasing the bearings while I can. I was going to use the red CV2 grease on the axles. Would that cause any problems with the existing unknown grease? Any special thing needed to get the grease into the bearing?
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Interested in greasing the bearings while I can. I was going to use the red CV2 grease on the axles. Would that cause any problems with the existing unknown grease? Any special thing needed to get the grease into the bearing?
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Good idea. You will need to disassemble the bearing carriers, clean, inspect, replace as needed and pack the bearings by hand and reinstall everything.

I'd use swepco for everything but personal preference.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

don't mix greases - they can be incompatible (the additives)

clean out all the old, inspect & re grease with a high quality grease - the rear bearings will then last a very long time until the next service

for the fronts, about every 30k miles
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

So the plan was not to redo the rear bearings at this point. Want to get the van up and running again for a trip.

Is the rear bearing separate from the CV's? I.e. the grease between the two is not shared or mix?

Rear bearings will wait for another time to get done.

Thanks,

Gary
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Yes, they are totally separate, nothing is shared.

The Western Syncro build
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

pomfritz wrote:

I needle greased my rear bearings (thread includes flak from the peanut gallery...ooops). If you can get the big 46mm nut off, that might be the most difficult part of the job. Imagining that there could be flak about exchanging old grease with new grease, is also difficult, but hey, thats the INTERNETS! Laughing Laughing

The rest was pretty easy. I installed new seals too, because they were 'loose', obviously no longer sealing. It was very satisfying to insert the needle to the center of the bearing housing, and watch the old grease ejecting from both sides. Intil ONLY clean new grease was coming out. Plus ----- with the needle ----- you insert it in 4 places (12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock) and evenly displace old grease. I used EP moly bearing grease.

My bearings had 177,000 miles and were smooth and quiet. Now they have NEW grease. I just returned from a 2,000 mile trip and the thought of new grease made me happy. Of course they are still quiet. Probably a good idea to do it sooner than later, to keep them happy.

FWIW, if you unbolt the rear wheel bering housings (4 big 22mm bolts) the whole drive axle comes out thru the hole in the suspension arm. It can be a little easier to unbolt the triple-square CV bolts with the whole axle out of the suspension arm.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

I was just making a suggestion. If you do not want
To look at your rear bearings with 200,000 miles possibly on them, than do not.

I know we have to pick our battles against time/money.

Murphy, on the other hand can be cruel.

Neil2
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

Having no history of the van. I'm sure a bearing overhaul wouldn't hurt. Just about everything I work on is brand new to me and sorting out good and not so good info to follow can be a challenge. I will put the rear bearings on the shelf til this winter as I have a major project coming up for it this fall.

The van doesn't get that many miles so I think a reseal and grease will make it good for long as I own the van. 100k would take 20 years to reach. At that point I may not want to be torquing 300 lb nuts. 🤕
pomfritz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

I just want to double check

The Lobros CVs have rings on the outer races. One edge has 1 ring and the other edge has 3. I'm pretty sure that the one ring edge matches up with the end of the axle on both ends. I.e. It will be facing the wheel and the tranny respectively. The three ring sides face each other as a result.

BTW the Rockford boots are really thick compared to the Lobros. I can see them lasting a lot longer.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CV replacement questions Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=432312

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: