Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with door identification
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Help with door identification Reply with quote

I bought a car from Europe and this door came with it and for what I can tell it is a split door but I am not sure. It does not look to have a wing window setup and the window regulator and brace seem to line up like a split door. Can somebody tell me what it is?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IG Westyrestorations
FB WestyRestorations, parts and accessories

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
CommodoreCollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

looks just like this one

I got it for a 53-54 oval bug, so that would be my guess.

Not For Sale:

1969 Karmann Ghia
1961 Type 2 DD Panel
1960 Euro Kombi
1959 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Type 2 Panel
1958 Type 2 Single Cab
1958 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

It is a replacement door with both elements in inner panel for both split and 52-55 cars. The most probably been assembled in a split beetle.

The upper door has split window regulator bracket (52-55 bracket for support bar removed), the lower door should be 52-55.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

Ok great, that is why I was confused with my research. So VW made this to replace doors from for split and early oval and my door configuration is for a split it looks like with the support bar towards the front of the door? My next question is what is the value of the door? I do not need the door for my vehicle and want it to go to someone that can use it. Thanks

IG Westyrestorations

1987 Syncro "Big Red", Full restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606596

1978 Westy Camper, Full ground up restoration, restoration thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593413
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

Wouldn't this door be a pain in the a** to use on a 52-55 Bug? It's missing all of the internal metal support pieces for the vent window assembly / vent window rubber etc.
1964 Chop Top
smurfpike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Wouldn't this door be a pain in the a** to use on a 52-55 Bug? It's missing all of the internal metal support pieces for the vent window assembly / vent window rubber etc.

I agree it looks to be setup for a Split Window

IG Westyrestorations

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

We are working on a 1952 split window with these doors. Anyone know if the door cards these take are for splits or for ovals?

I understand the window regulator is in the same location as a split, but the inner door handle is 1/2" different?

Anyone know?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

are you sure the regulator is in the same position?

looking at this door compared to the doors posted above, there is much more than 1/2" difference between the door handle/crank distance.

you have your 49 you can measure off of, as well as the 55 three fold? should tell you which door panels (or custom) these hybrid doors take.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

sled wrote:
are you sure the regulator is in the same position?

looking at this door compared to the doors posted above, there is much more than 1/2" difference between the door handle/crank distance.

you have your 49 you can measure off of, as well as the 55 three fold? should tell you which door panels (or custom) these hybrid doors take.

I have the 49 and the 55 but the 52 is off at the painter so I have no access to compare their measurements to the replacement doors on the 52.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

banana split wrote:

To clarify, it is a split door that was made after zwitter/oval production had started so it has an inner pressing that has all of the details of a zwitter through '55. The door however is specific to a split. VW did this very often. They would make new parts backwards compatible as far as the base pressing or casting goes. As long as the part is functionally equivalent they didn't care that it looked different when you took the inner door panel off.

This made supplying replacement parts for earlier cars easier and cheaper. They wouldn't have to maintain press dies and casting molds for parts for earlier cars. This is a pain for purists but when they did this it was a business decision. They were just parts to repair an older car to keep it on the road.

This door was not meant to be used on Zwitter through '55. Only on a split.

This is a good description of the differences. It does appear that the inner door handle is different between the two.

Blue Baron wrote:
The inside door handle is higher on the earlier split doors, and they are also slotted on front for the check strap. The later doors used a door check rod instead of a strap. The biggest difference can be seen with the door panels off; the inside wall is lower and more significant at the top of the later doors, and narrower on the early ones, making the later ones more sturdy.

The earlier windows and regulators can be adapted to fit the later doors without much difficulty, and unless the panel is removed, it would be hard to tell the difference.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
c_wilburn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help with door identification Reply with quote

Depending on what you want for it, and the cost of shipping etc, I could use that door. I actually need a complete drivers door for a 52 as I don't have a door or any of the pieces to make it complete.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: