Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vacuum leaks and smoker tester questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Vacuum leaks and smoker tester questions Reply with quote

Made a handy dandy smoke machine with a paint can, two male air compressor fittings, some tubing and a cigarette. Works great.

My question is this...even if you have NO leaks anywhere, that smoke has to eventually come out of somewhere, right?

I am chasing an idling problem on a 77 bus. With the smoke test, it does not leak anywhere except where the intake boot connects to the intake. I assume this is just the "weak" spot in the system or do I have a bonifide leak there? I took the boot off and it looks fine, no cracks or anything so I just assumed that the smoke has to leak somewhere at some point. Am I flawed in my thinking?

If NO vacuum leaks, what is my next check for a poor idle?

77 bus, fuel injected, adjusted valves, timing, new temp II sensor (fixed the problem originally...now I cant get it to idle).

As always, thank you.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leaks and smoker tester questions Reply with quote

Is it leaking between the boot and the throttle body, or the throttle body and the plenum?

If it's between the throttle body and boot, then you either need to tighten the clamp around it, or you have a crack in it and need a new one.

http://www.airheadparts.com/Intake-Sleeve-AFM-to-TB/item/022-129-967%20AC

Leaking between throttle body and plenum?

Try tightening the throttle body (2 bolts connecting it to the plenum), or get a new seal

http://www.airheadparts.com/Throttle-Body-Seal-LJetDigijet/item/022-133-073%20A

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Vacuum leaks and smoker tester questions Reply with quote

I've found that when using my smoke machine I have to start plugging leaks as they appear. Once plugged, others appear. Keep plugging until they are all fixed. I think the smoke takes the path of least resistance so that's why they all don't just appear at once.

So, you have a low idle issue? I had that on one engine and I fixed it by popping the cover off the AFM and making an adjustment. Before you turn any screws you can just slide the wiper and see if the RPM increases. If so, you can loosen a phillips head screw and do the adjustment. Before I did all that though I'd just try and adjust the AFM bypass screw and see what happens. Be sure to count the turns if you do.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: