Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

1990 Westy with gowesty aux battery kit.

Parked in my driveway, the fan is powering up on very hot 100*+ days.
I fear this is depleting my house battery.

Is this a mis-wiring problem?
Can I disable the fan from turning on?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:

Is this a mis-wiring problem?
Can I disable the fan from turning on?

Not a wiring problem. The fan is switched on/off via a thermoswitch on the back of the fridge.

To disable: Remove the cover over the driver's side B-pillar fuses, then remove the forward-most fuse.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

This might be a dumb question, but are you sure your fridge is turned off properly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

This is a common problem when parked in hot weather. As Kamz says, the thermoswitch doesn't know/care whether the fridge is on or not; it simply senses a high temperature and turns the fan on.

When I pulled my fridge for overhaul a couple of years ago I took the opportunity to wire in a manual cutout/override switch. The switch is mounted inside the kitchen cabinet beneath the sink, and it simply breaks the thermoswitch circuit to disable the fan between trips.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
I checked and the DC mode is definately 'off' (AC button pushed in)
It's -only- 100* inside the fridge, and the fan been running for hours.

I'll look into a manual switch.

Makes me wonder-- the 'one battery' stock Westys musta had
starting problems in hot climates due to battery drain?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee-
campwestfalia.com -- very cool site, nice! SUBSCRIBED
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

I added a manual switch right behind the drivers seat (near the fuse block).

This used to be a problem primarily in Arizona summers but seems like everyone is hotter these days.

Since I was putting in a switch anyway I went with a double throw and can have the fridge fan (and water pump) run off either the main or aux battery. Probably an unnecessary complication but seemed like a good idea at the time.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
Jeffrey Lee-
campwestfalia.com -- very cool site, nice! SUBSCRIBED

Thanks for the compliment, and for subscribing!

You can see recent newsletters here: http://us12.campaign-archive2.com/home/?u=8732c83bbc810729ec1aae02d&id=632690aa3c , and there's a new issue coming out in a couple of weeks.

Stay cool, everyone!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
As Kamz says, the thermoswitch doesn't know/care whether the fridge is on or not; it simply senses a high temperature and turns the fan on.

I never noticed this on my fridge. Why would VW/Dometic set it up that way? You could leave your van out on a hot day and watch your battery drain for nothing.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
Makes me wonder-- the 'one battery' stock Westys musta had
starting problems in hot climates due to battery drain?

Not a problem with a single battery westy, as I understand it the relay under the drivers seat keeps the rear stuff separated from the battery unless the vehicle is on.

but when you hook all the rear stuff up to an aux battery, that isn't necessarily the case, meaning that as soon as that thermostat thinks it needs to turn on the fan it does, simply because it has power to do so.

Paulbeard wrote:
I never noticed this on my fridge. Why would VW/Dometic set it up that way? You could leave your van out on a hot day and watch your battery drain for nothing.

They didn't really, they designed the system so that it wouldn't run off 12V unless the alternator was spinning. (thus the blue wire going to the relay under the seat.) But when that's bypassed to put in an aux setup, and the rear stuff is then powered by the aux battery instead of the starting battery through the relay that is shut off if there is no alternator power... You end up with a drained aux battery when it gets too hot.

A manual shut off switch is a simple way to get around this problem, a more complicated method would be to use a relay that does the same thing as the original under the driver's seat.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

The fridge fan power is always on, it doesn't go through the fridge relay. The relay is only for the 12 volt heating element. The fridge fan is needed in all 3 modes of the 3 way fridge, not just 12 volt mode.

It isn't the temp inside the fridge that makes the fan run, it is the heat behind the fridge on the fins. If that side of the van is parked in the sun it can make the back of the fridge hot enough to turn on the fan sometimes. This is more the case with darker paint colors.

Mark
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
...Why would VW/Dometic set it up that way?...

Possibly 105° days are rare in Wiedenbrück (though possible in Elkhart).
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The fridge fan power is always on, it doesn't go through the fridge relay. The relay is only for the 12 volt heating element. The fridge fan is needed in all 3 modes of the 3 way fridge, not just 12 volt mode.

It isn't the temp inside the fridge that makes the fan run, it is the heat behind the fridge on the fins. If that side of the van is parked in the sun it can make the back of the fridge hot enough to turn on the fan sometimes. This is more the case with darker paint colors.

Mark

Ahhh, it seems I was incorrect... I was under the impression that everything that was powered through the fuse block on the B-pillar was subsequently controlled via that relay.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

In Westy models with the 2 fuse setup behind the driver seat 1 fuse is always powered and 1 fuse gets power from the fridge relay only when the alternator is charging. The fuse that always has power is for the led panel, the faucet pump, and the fridge fin cooling fan. If one wished to disable the fridge fan when the Westy wasn't being used for camping you could just pull the 1 fuse. The faucet pump and led panel would also be off then so you could easily remember to put the fuse back when camped. That way the fridge fan would also be available when camped, like it should be.

Mark
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

Which all makes sense.

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fridge Fan turns on in high heat- how to disable? Reply with quote

FWIW worth... my fridge fan died about 10 years ago and I really can't tell any difference in cooling (fridge works fine).

I could replace it but I rather like not having that thing cycling on & off when trying to sleep on a warm evening.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: