Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Ok...I searched all of these threads and didn't see where anyone had a similar issue. The PO had installed ARGs forward of the normal point. This ARG happens to be exactly where the upper bolt of the shock should be. The install directions indicate the drill point should be 5.75 inches up. That's exactly where the ARG sits.

My question is, will mounting the upper bolt a little lower in order to avoid that ARG significantly change the effectiveness of the shock? Do you think it will be too forward of a force vs lifting? Pic below to show the ARG and the pencilled in arc for where the bolt should go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Yep, a very common problem.
You aren't the first one with this "problem".

Contact Jack and see what he has to say.
Stress in the wrong pkaces create cracks, the wrong fulcrum points defeats the hydraulic assist.

The mount points are Too close, you damage the piston, too far apart, you don't get full opening.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Popsvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Contact Jack, possibly upgrade the rear ARG to the 4 bolt style and share a bolt?
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I recently installed one of his lift assist kits. I was having issues with the top not closing all the way. I contacted Mark and he helped walk me thru my issues. I had a brain fart and completely over looked the mounting hardware for my ARG which was hanging up the strut and preventing it from completely closing. I definitely recommend this kit, shocks work awesome, great customer service and through instructions.

FYI, my Vanagon is a converted passenger van with a Westy pop top bolted to the orginal tintop roof.

Matt.
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm dumb. What's an ARG?

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Artificial Rain Gutter
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I had the same problem in my old Wolfsburg.
I did contact Mike.i forgot the exact ". I think it's
Nothing more than .25 inches is ok.. I did managed
To file a slot on the Yakima bottom rack to screw the
Upper strutt but. I didn't touch the ARG at all.
Where exactly is it? Can you mark it? I can't see it
In the pic.
Good luck!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Kkinsch wrote:
My question is, will mounting the upper bolt a little lower in order to avoid that ARG significantly change the effectiveness of the shock?

I know this is an older thread, but for anyone searching for an answer to the same issue, you can lower the mounting point a bit and it won't have much impact on the effectiveness of the strut, it will possibly make the lower edge of the top bow out slightly, but most tops don't experience that. The fiberglass is super strong, years ago I did try to do some destructive testing of the pop top fiberglass, and I couldn't make it fail, that was with me hanging from the ball stud and I was wearing a backpack full of rocks, me, 165 pounds, plus 90 pound pack thrashing around as hard as I could, the fiberglass just laughed at me!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I'll concur as the OP, I was able to install the bolt a little lower to clear the artificial gutter and the lift still works as intended with little to no bowing
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I had a conflict with my hardware, not in mounting location but in conflict with the strut. I just needed to cut back the bolt on the inside to clear the strut. I simple mock-up might help understand your problem.

msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I had a conflict with my hardware, not in mounting location but in conflict with the strut. I just needed to cut back the bolt on the inside to clear the strut. I simple mock-up might help understand your problem.

Great pic for visualizing how the shock and ARG mounting hardware can interfere with one another.

I got hung up with making sure the upper ball mount wouldn't interfere with the ARG. I overlooked the mounting bolts can protrude to far on the back side and hand up the shock when closing.

Matt
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

FWIW

I has the same ARGs mounted before I installed struts. I didn't want to make another hole so put a piece of alum L channel off the longer bolts that Yakima gives us and mounted the shock to that.

top, yak washer, yak nut, new L channel, new nylock

someone on here has pics of my install

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Just in case none of the other options work. I recently moved the ARGs that were on my van when I bought it. They were installed all the way forward for some reason and I was adding a set of these struts. Moving them and repairing the fiberglass with a patch kit is very easy to do and seems just as strong as the rest of the top once complete. Looks good as new, as long as you don't mind refinishing the top afterward that is Smile
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Installing Thule 387 ARG's on brother's '85.

While we do not have them now, we are absolutely adding the Jack Bombay's.

Can anyone (Jack) help me determine where to drill so that I can use the same hole for both the ARG and strut?

- OR

Can anyone recommend a better place to install where I am guaranteed not to interfere with the amazing struts?

I added JB Struts on my '88 and just got lucky that there was no interference. Too bad my bus is 1263 miles north of our current location.

In my Samba search, I found a pic of a template that was cool, but no exact positioning. I guess it is 20.25", but from where, I do not know.

Thanks all. We need to hit the road pronto.
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Rorke wrote:
Installing Thule 387 ARG's on brother's '85.

While we do not have them now, we are absolutely adding the Jack Bombay's.

Can anyone (Jack) help me determine where to drill so that I can use the same hole for both the ARG and strut?

- OR

Can anyone recommend a better place to install where I am guaranteed not to interfere with the amazing struts?

I added JB Struts on my '88 and just got lucky that there was no interference. Too bad my bus is 1263 miles north of our current location.

In my Samba search, I found a pic of a template that was cool, but no exact positioning. I guess it is 20.25", but from where, I do not know.

Thanks all. We need to hit the road pronto.

You need to have jack's kit in hand and measure everything out before you drill the holes for the ARG's...if you want to share the penetration points. Have patience and do everything at once. I was in your shoes, and this is what I did; it was worth waiting.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Ken is the man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mVDVe5X040

I am just going to drill aft and high with the ARG's.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I have the Thule ARGs (2 hole), Jack Bombay struts sharing the same hole. I did this on a factory 91 Westfalia with everything in hand. If you have not drilled yet. I would be happy to go out and measure the location.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I haven't drilled yet and I just finished my last coat of bright side. I'm drill on hand w ARGs to boot. I would very very very much appreciate knowing the location of the JB strut so I can drill one hole to accommodate both accessories. I've got these 7 foot Thule rails that I have been eager to mount but I had to paint first. Yeah yeah. Nothing like progress.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
I haven't drilled yet and I just finished my last coat of bright side. I'm drill on hand w ARGs to boot. I would very very very much appreciate knowing the location of the JB strut so I can drill one hole to accommodate both accessories.

Each van varies a bit with regards to the location of the threaded hole in the metal van roof that the hinge bolt goes into vs the location of the pop top in relation to those holes so drilling the pop top accurately without the kit is pretty tough, there is a reasonable chance the hole will be in the right place, but there is also a reasonable chance you will have to ovalize the hole a bit once you have my kit in hand to get the upper ball stud in the right location.

Going high and further back with the ARG avoids interference and keeps the weight on the roof further back which minimizes how much it affects pop top popping when it is there vs when it is removed.

My sig has a link to a Samba thread which shows how to make your own ARGs for the rear mounting to the hinge bolts/screws, that location is a little too far back for rocket boxes as they will hang off the back, but can work well for other uses.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: