Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
catmando
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Jack, Razz

I just installed the struts per your instructions. I had my computer geek wife read the directions. Great, all when perfect. I recommend this to anyone who needs to do this.
My wife is petite and could never open the top or close it. For me it was a real struggle also. I bought your system in 2012 and installed it tonight 5/17/17. It took about 40 minutes. Check and recheck. I took my time. Now I can whip this installation out in 15 minutes. It came out perfect. What a great concept you came up with. Why did I not do this then? DUH!

I love your cat. Wink

Kenny Rogers
chrisfreemanca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I had a conflict with my hardware, not in mounting location but in conflict with the strut. I just needed to cut back the bolt on the inside to clear the strut. I simple mock-up might help understand your problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is my exact set up and so I simply flipped that lower bolt around so the head is on the inside and flush. Clearance issue resolved.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

catmando wrote:
I bought your system in 2012 and installed it tonight 5/17/17.

I'll admit I too have purchased parts, to have them sit longer than intended!

catmando wrote:

I love your cat. Wink

The gray tabby sitting on the bumper with snowflakes on her head?!? With a 2012 purchase I think that's the version of the instal instructions you would have gotten. She's a sweetheart, getting up there in age now, just turned 16!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Loganthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I'm in the process of installing the Jackbombay struts but one of the bolt holes is stripped! Does anyone know the best option for repairing this and getting a bolt to thread?

Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I know this thread is a little older but I figured this was the right place to ask my question. Do the struts make it more difficult to gather and tuck the pop top tent material when closing? In other words, is the upward force of the strut difficult to wrestle with while gathering the tent material before the pop top is latched? I’ve had these struts for a while but haven’t had the chance to install. Hoping to get around to it in the next couple of weeks. I’m looking forward to this improvement for sure. Thanks.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
I know this thread is a little older but I figured this was the right place to ask my question. Do the struts make it more difficult to gather and tuck the pop top tent material when closing? In other words, is the upward force of the strut difficult to wrestle with while gathering the tent material before the pop top is latched? I’ve had these struts for a while but haven’t had the chance to install. Hoping to get around to it in the next couple of weeks. I’m looking forward to this improvement for sure. Thanks.

It depends on the weight of the top vs the strut strength.

If you have nothing on the top like a rack or such the regular strength struts are great. They actually make it easy to tuck in the canvas since you can almost set the top at any position near closed and the struts hold it there. If you have weight on the top it is good to get a set of heavy duty and normal struts and mix and match until you find the combination that works for the weight. Either way they are a great product.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

What Dave said! The struts let you hover the top at the perfect height while you gather in the canvas. It works so well that I don't even check for stray cloth before latching any more! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

X3 -- With these my wife can raise and lower the top with ease and, as noted, pause as needed to tuck & fold.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m really looking forward to installing. I know I will be kicking myself and saying, why the heck didn’t I install these years ago.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I had a conflict with my hardware, not in mounting location but in conflict with the strut. I just needed to cut back the bolt on the inside to clear the strut. I simple mock-up might help understand your problem.

I had the same situation. It did not interfere with the pop top operation but would rattle/vibrate when driving. I think the instructions said to reverse the bolts so the flat carriage head was on the inside and the nut was on the outside. I had to switch two of them.

Still, one of the best mods. Makes the pop top easy to lift and lower. It will even stay put at any position.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
I have the Thule ARGs (2 hole), Jack Bombay struts sharing the same hole. I did this on a factory 91 Westfalia with everything in hand. If you have not drilled yet. I would be happy to go out and measure the location.

I know this is an old thread and don't know if you will be able to answer me, but your setup looks exactly like what I plan to do. I received my shocks yesterday. I would like to share the mounting point of the shock with my Thule ARG. Was the Ball Stud included with the kit long enough to go through the ARG and the fiberglass to attach it? Did you paint it black? Because we can't see the stainless on the picture where you shared the hole.

Second question, do you regret not mounting the racks as far back as possible? I mean, would you have prefered to have the strout alone in his hole and having the ARG mounted further back?
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

After finally adding a Yakima roof rack with cargo basket and camping this weekend and popping the top a few times, I just ordered a combination kit from JB.

I'm fairly strong and thought I wouldn't need assistance with an empty rack and cargo basket - wrong. My wife and I were throwing elbows trying to lower and tuck at the same time with a dog at our feet. Forget that non-sense.

If I have any installation interference with my ARGs, hardware, etc., I'll find a solution and post here.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Quote:
I know this is an old thread and don't know if you will be able to answer me, but your setup looks exactly like what I plan to do. I received my shocks yesterday. I would like to share the mounting point of the shock with my Thule ARG. Was the Ball Stud included with the kit long enough to go through the ARG and the fiberglass to attach it? Did you paint it black? Because we can't see the stainless on the picture where you shared the hole.

Second question, do you regret not mounting the racks as far back as possible? I mean, would you have prefered to have the strout alone in his hole and having the ARG mounted further back?

I am perfectly happy with my choice of mounting the aft rack where I did. I analyzed the location for a ridiculous amount of time. I looked at all the popular cargo boxes and measured their mounting distances and was stoked to find that all would fit with that location and keep the rear of the box to the rear of the poptop which to me gave the cleanest line. I also was running the biggest thule box for a while and that location was perfect as well. The RMW ladder lines up exactly in center with the box in that location so the keyed lock is right there when one climbs up. I am very content with the rear arg and bar in that location and super stoked to have been able to share the hole with the JB strut. My longboards and short boards work perfectly there. I layed all boards up there in various locations and that spot seemed ideal any further aft and surfboards hung off the back with high potential of the noses hitting the rear hatch when opened especially if the top was popped with boards on. I will be adding 1 or 2 more bars forward for the canoe and possibly solar/basket.

I used a stainless nyloc on the ballstud bolt. I did not paint it black but wish I would have and will the next one. I did not realize at the time that slim stainless nylocs were available which I will be putting on at some point as the normal size hits the Thule foot just slightly.

Happy to take pictures or measurements.
John-y25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I am perfectly happy with my choice of mounting the aft rack where I did. I analyzed the location for a ridiculous amount of time. I looked at all the popular cargo boxes and measured their mounting distances and was stoked to find that all would fit with that location and keep the rear of the box to the rear of the poptop which to me gave the cleanest line. I also was running the biggest thule box for a while and that location was perfect as well. The RMW ladder lines up exactly in center with the box in that location so the keyed lock is right there when one climbs up. I am very content with the rear arg and bar in that location and super stoked to have been able to share the hole with the JB strut. My longboards and short boards work perfectly there. I layed all boards up there in various locations and that spot seemed ideal any further aft and surfboards hung off the back with high potential of the noses hitting the rear hatch when opened especially if the top was popped with boards on. I will be adding 1 or 2 more bars forward for the canoe and possibly solar/basket.

I used a stainless nyloc on the ballstud bolt. I did not paint it black but wish I would have and will the next one. I did not realize at the time that slim stainless nylocs were available which I will be putting on at some point as the normal size hits the Thule foot just slightly.

Happy to take pictures or measurements.

Thank you for your answer. I did try a stainless nyloc but I can on’y make a quarter turn of the nut, not more, so I’m scared it would be solid enough on stress the Thule will put on it. Your ball stud was long enough ?
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

John-y25 wrote:

Thank you for your answer. I did try a stainless nyloc but I can on’y make a quarter turn of the nut, not more, so I’m scared it would be solid enough on stress the Thule will put on it. Your ball stud was long enough ?

I do send out longer ball studs with kits when they are requested at the time of purchase. The ball studs that come with the kit are not long enough to go through an ARG and the pop top. The longer ball studs are available from amazon and ebay as well. The 10mm ball with the 1" threaded shank is the one you want for going through an ARG.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-10mm-Ball-Studs-Hardwa...d&th=1

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Ceegee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

Have JB strut kit, now to measure. Rolling Eyes
PO seems to have installed roof top brackets extremely low. It will be sheer luck if the top of strut matches one of the roof-top bracket holes.

1989 Westfalia (home again! 😁)
1999 Eurovan (just not the same, sold)
1989 Westfalia (where are you now? 😞)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I dont think it will. Mine uses the top rear bolt. If I could do it all over again I would have mounted my ARG lower like yours and not share a bolt.

Ceegee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I dont think it will. Mine uses the top rear bolt. If I could do it all over again I would have mounted my ARG lower like yours and not share a bolt.

Good to know, what made you unhappy with it?
Guessing I’ll still need to find out how ARG hardware inside top might interfere with strut.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

I just wanted the cross bars to sit a lower/closer to the roof. I put the carriage bolt head (bottom rear) and have no issues.
Ceegee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jack Bombay Poptop Strut Install? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
I just wanted the cross bars to sit a lower/closer to the roof. I put the carriage bolt head (bottom rear) and have no issues.

Makes sense.
My strut carriage bolt might meet up with upper rear bolt..a long shot.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: