Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 1 engine compartment seal replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Type 1 engine compartment seal replacement Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I did a search on this topic and all I find are discussions for the foam seal on a Type 4.

For a T1-style (upright) 1970 Bus, can the rubber seal forward of the engine (between engine and firewall) be replaced without dropping the engine? I know it'll be a pain but it looks like I can remove a few pieces of tin and worm it through there.

If not, can I just drop the engine a few inches without pulling it all the way out?

Finally, any tips on making that seal slide in there smooth and easy? Silicone lube, maybe?

Thanks,
Andy
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine compartment seal replacement Reply with quote

Yes, it can be done with the engine in place, but it sucks. Not a hard engine pull on a pre 72 bus so I'd recommend pulling it. You'll find lots of stuff to do while your engine's out like:

Torque head bolts
Check thermostat and flaps (they're there right?)
Get those heater box flaps working good
Replace fuel tank neck hose (smelling gas?)

These are all just ideas, you may not need to do any of them just mentioning them to see if it sparks an idea!

My lube of choice is window cleaner (windex). Use liberally. I have also used it to install rubber around pop-out windows for a beetle. Works great and dries up after you're done without any greasy residue.

Good luck!
'74 Westy (parts)
Andy70Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 1 engine compartment seal replacement Reply with quote

Hehe I got 'er done with the engine in place, but it was a pain. I loosened the engine tin across the back and used silicone lube to slide it through - about 1/4 inch at a time... Took about 2 hours but it's done Smile

Thanks,
Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: