Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus Murphy
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

I will turn this into a build thread, but I wanted to introduce my 'new to me' bus - Murphy - a 1977 Riviera. I purchased it about 2 months ago to be my next project after loosing my other bus Big Emma to a grand adventure lasting a couple of years. Read about that adventure here: http://www.gobigemma.com/

I have not gotten to really pay much attention to Murphy yet as we spent the bulk of the last several weeks readying Big Emma for her trip.

Following are some photos of Murphy as purchased, after removing all the crap inside (including some really poorly constructed cabinets). To say that this bus was previously owned by a traveling tattoo artist gives you an idea of the condition it was in. Colin will have a field day next year. I am hoping to get the bulk of the body work done over the fall and winter so I can start on the interior next spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Odd that is has no side markers or side lights. I am still pondering the color options. I am thinking of burnt ornage-ish lower and white upper.

And a couple of the engine bay. It has been converted to a single carb. My plan after getting the body work completed is to reinstall all the fuel injection components.

The interior - after most of the cabinet removal. I will be doing a totally custom interior layout with walnut cabinetry, including door panels. I have already purchased some Vanagon seats for the front. It currently has no second battery set up either, but I will install that in the rebuild.

Here is the passenger door - I am currently shopping for replacement door's as I think both the front doors are too far gone to just re-skin. It has a fair amount of bondo so I am expecting replacement of doglegs, lower rockers, battery tray and all the usual suspect rust areas.

Murphy as some added (never seen anything like them before) rails on the underside of the bus on the drivers side... any ideas of what these might have been used for?

I am hoping Robbie has the time to take a short detour from his trip to stop down for a visit and virgin wrenching of Murphy.

Additionally, I don't think I be using any of the Riviera components, and there are not many left on this bus. But if any Riviera Owners see any bit they may need for their stock vehicle, please let me know. I'm not interested in giving away a part so someone can just sell it, but if you need a part for your own bus, I'll listen.

Enough for now - all thoughts welcome.
thanks - Andrew

and - Tcash in ......3........2.........1......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

aluminum aftermarket side steps .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Quote:

that's what I thought as well...... at first.
but it is on the driver's side - there is noting to step up to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Quote:

that's what I thought as well...... at first.
but it is on the driver's side - there is noting to step up to.

Aluminium aftermarket side steps...
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Looking forward to this one! Very Happy
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Mysterious rails: mounts for a propane tank?
68 Westy
(+ others)
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Maybe it was a drawer or spare tire mount underneath? Cool bus man good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Sweet! I have to admit I really like the current color

Where at in Illinois are you? I am in Springfield Il so maybe sometime we can get together and geek out over our buses Very Happy

1978 Automatic Champagne II Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

I'm in Urbana
Mr.West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I'm in Urbana

Oh snap! I am not far from you at all! I actually am in that area a lot for work so I might come drop in on ya to check this bus out!

How has the body work been coming along?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Mr.West wrote:
andrewtf wrote:
I'm in Urbana

Oh snap! I am not far from you at all! I actually am in that area a lot for work so I might come drop in on ya to check this bus out!

How has the body work been coming along?

Body work? There's body work? I just saw two new doors and too many beers...

This bus is one of the nicest driving progressive-equipped buses I've ever driven. The SVDA setup probably helps hide any tuning gaffs, but all in all it will be a great bus when Andrew is done with it. His "casual cabinet drawings" are light years beyond any drawings I ever did for parts mockup.......

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.West
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Oh come on Robbie!!! Very Happy

Replacing a door is body work aint it???

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Mr.West wrote:
Oh come on Robbie!!! Very Happy

Replacing a door is body work aint it???

It will be, but the new doors are just hanging out in the garage. I told Andrew he should take out all the glass and all the doors and drive it with Red Baron goggles and a scarf.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I'm in Urbana

You should have named it, "HAL," Dave.

And please don't make any "Murphy's Law" jokes. Or, by extension, Candice Bergen puns, either!
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Considering it will surely take over my life - I suppose HAL would be appropriate. I often feel like a monkey just screeching and waving a big bone at it anyway.

FYI - bought it from a guy who lived On Murphy Lane (and yes - as in Murphy's Law... it broke down about 4 blocks from where I bought it)
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Considering it will surely take over my life - I suppose HAL would be appropriate.

Well, I more meant it because you live in Urbana, IL...

Nice Bus, btw.
zoobum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
andrewtf wrote:
I'm in Urbana

And please don't make any "Murphy's Law" jokes. Or, by extension, Candice Bergen puns, either!

Laughing
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Here's a little update.
I've got it pretty much stripped out and almost ready to get it over to the body shop.
You can see a bit of nastiness in the passenger seat area, both door step areas.

I hope to do a lot of the other work over the fall and winter while it is away in the body shop.... recovering seats, making wood door panels, cleaning all the bits to go back on, etc. I really can't start making the camping interior until I get it back so I can measure accurately.

Stay tuned for further developments..........
gintaras
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
I'm in Urbana

I'm in Chicago
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Just an update of sorts

A couple of weeks ago I drove Murphy from my house over to the Body shop. No doors, no windows (except the windshield) no anything else - like seat belts, lights, turn signals, horn, mirrors, bumpers, etc. It was about 4 miles or so straight thru town. I have to admit I was both a little nervous and a bit excited to drive around in this naked thing.

I have been gathering parts and pieces to be as prepared as possible for the big resurrection after I get it back in March (I hope). I've got a garage and closet full of parts, a jalousie window being refurbished in the basement and will soon be ordering seat covers from Sewfine with enough extra material to remake all the Riviera top 'trim'. The plan is to recover the seats and make door panels over the winter. I don't think I'll start making the cabinetry until I get it back to suitable driving condition.

I am currently sourcing a new fuel injection system to replace the single carb setup that some previous Owner installed. Successfully getting all of that put on and operational is giving me some nightmares, but I'll power thru it somehow.

" Ohhhhhh Colin....... I have an ominous task we can work thru next year."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: