Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus Murphy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Anyone know what the Exterior black coating is?
Thank you
Tcash
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Short update.
There is some body work progress and I'll get to that soon.
But now - some engine attention.
Robbie was here for a couple of days doing among other more important things - guiding me on my engine reconstructions and installing the F.I. components. I don't think I'll get to installing the engine in the bus til spring, so this may be the extent of the progress for the engine over the fall and winter.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The upside for all the Big Emma saga is that I get to build two sets of interiors (with the help of Emma and Sven) instead of one..... I guess that's an upside.?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Hey Andrew... How are Murphy and the BE coming along? Has Murphy been sprung from his body shop prison yet?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

How Ironic that you ask that today.

We have been away for most of the month of February actually.
This afternoon regular Emma and I went to visit the now DONE Big Emma.
We'll be bringing her home this week to begin the overhaul of everything else. She is such a pretty and happy bus!!

I am sure Emma and Sven will start a build thread soon and catch everyone up. Sven gets here in about six weeks or so. Before that time Emma and I will try to get some of the more mundane projects tackled.

I also went to see Murphy today - not at the same shop as Big Emma. So, obviously he's not released from body shop prison yet, but good progress is being made. I'll post some photos in a few days (didn't have phone or camera when I went there). The shop has some repairs yet to do/fabricate and needed me to order two pieces of sheet metal. I suspect by the time real bus building season rolls around here (which means Robbie and/or Colin are about to arrive) Murphy will be in my driveway.

Fingers crossed that you'll see Murphy with some shiny paint in a few weeks.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

It’s not too late to go with a red top and yellow bottom!!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
This afternoon regular Emma and I went to visit the now DONE Big Emma.
We'll be bringing her home this week to begin the overhaul of everything else. She is such a pretty and happy bus!!

That's great to hear! I had forgotten you were in Florida too. Very nice time to get away.

Okay, does "regular" Emma bristle at that nickname? Laughing
How about "exceptional" Emma? Dancing That fits her better, me thinks.
[Edit: It's just an observation, Sven... I'm not hitting on her! Lol!]

And as for the Big E, I'd be happy too if I were rescued from a flooded river in Central America and brought back to the states for a makeover. She is so lucky to be upright and dry again! Can't wait to see the refresh/rebuild thread of her.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

I know all of you have been on the edge of your seats waiting for an update.

I really hope new updates will be more frequent and triumphant, but here we go.

Asia3b was here at the end of May to help with lots of Big Emma rebuild projects, but also to help me install the engine in Murphy. I had the engine about as far as I could get it sans a vehicle to install it in. And of course the body shop was still far... FAR.... from being done with my bus. But I made sure they had the engine bay complete and painted. I had it towed to my house and over the course of a couple of days, and between a thousand Big Emma projects, we got the engine in and running amazingly well. So - a few days later, I took it on a drive that tied for the longest drive so far..... back to the body shop. Again, the 3 or 4 mile drive was made with no windows, doors, lights, mirrors, seat belts.......

Now we are about 6 weeks later and awaiting the visit of Amskeptic on Thursday. My bus has been promised (ya...right !) to be painted and complete in time for his arrival.

Last Thursday.... after a mere 632 days (not an exaggeration or a typo) at the shop it looked like this. I DO think I'l be able to drive it home next Wednesday. It got the first color coat yesterday.

I do have a great deal of the panels, cabinets, interior build bits and pieces, completed, or very well underway and awaiting installation, so hopefully faster and furious-er updates, with substantial progress are to follow.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Almost there, hang in there.
Good luck
Tcash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Plugging away, nicely. Murphy is going to be a stong, good looking ride when its all buttoned up.
Keep after it, excited to see the wheels a-rolling down the road.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:

Hey! Shocked What happened to the battery access door?!?---V

Laughing Laughing Laughing

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Well......
Still some progress - but also - still waiting to enjoy it.
This was last Friday at the shop (of course). Blocking the body starts Monday - so paint, and hopefully a homecoming is not far behind.

If you look closely you will spy regular Emma lurking in the background, taking a look.

We have maybe 75% of Big Emma done now, but regular Emma leaves for Mexico to see 'that other guy' very soon, so the Gig Emma rebuild will be generally on a short hiatus, hopefully allowing for a Murphy jump start before her return.

Hopefully I'll be able to post a photo with some color before the end of the week. (but I'm not holding my breath.)

I saw a post the other day, with the poster expressing exasperation over the the shop having his bus for 6 months and always claiming they need "2 more weeks". I got a little chuckle over that. I am just telling myself that the wait will be worth it.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

December 3, 2016... That's the day you delivered Murphy to the body shop.
So, yeah, people complaining of theirs being in the body shop for six months have NO room to complain! Laughing

You have got to be one of the most patient people on the planet, Andrew...
I'm eagerly awaiting the final decision on color. My vote is for a chartreuse/eggplant combo. But haven't decided which color goes on top...

---WildIdea

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Ahh colors decided upon - under a family consensus plan.
We all decided that this bus needed a definite personality all of its own, so we are straying from any Big Emma resemblance.

It will be interesting as we are building a lot of things for both Big Emma and Murphy at the same time - with almost identical physical properties - but in decidedly different aesthetics. For instance we cut all the wall and door panels at the same time, out of the same material. Big Emma gets a rich, warm, Cherry stain on those, while Muphy's get a sort natural finish.

I'm sure we will post some side by side photos when they are each far enough along.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Ahh colors decided upon - under a family consensus plan.
We all decided that this bus needed a definite personality all of its own, so we are straying from any Big Emma resemblance.

It will be interesting as we are building a lot of things for both Big Emma and Murphy at the same time - with almost identical physical properties - but in decidedly different aesthetics. For instance we cut all the wall and door panels at the same time, out of the same material. Big Emma gets a rich, warm, Cherry stain on those, while Muphy's get a sort natural finish.

I'm sure we will post some side by side photos when they are each far enough along.

Andrew! Please get some plastic sheeting and protect the engine compartment/engine from top-coat overspray!
Colin11mmWrenchBereft
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Colin - Oh yea, thanks for that. They actually did have it covered with a welding blanket while they were working. I took it off to look at the double relay - to try and figure out which one we had installed.

Fingers crossed to be able to drive it before I see you again !!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Colin - Oh yea, thanks for that. They actually did have it covered with a welding blanket while they were working. I took it off to look at the double relay - to try and figure out which one we had installed.

Fingers crossed to be able to drive it before I see you again !!

Good friggin luck getting the new one all wired up… I want to punch the dude in the face who chopped the plug off the vehicle side… It took all the Rossini on my iPod to get the thing wired correctly (with correct color tracers via electrical tape!) Is it not functioning any more?

What body colors did you end up going with??
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

I am both proud and ashamed to say that yesterday I drove THIS back to my house.

Here are the colors (the little drip is rain - it was starting to sprinkle a bit). I can't say its very traditional and I know some will have a dislike for them - but I think when its all put together, it will be one pretty machine.

And then to snuggle up with his big sister Big Emma.

I've promised Big Emma a few tasks yet, so starting to paste bits back on Murphy will wait for a few days. In the meantime I'll just try to reassure myself that it really IS in my garage and its not just another wet dream.

Worth the year and eight month wait?
It will be.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

That’s fantastic Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Woo Hoo!

Murphy's back from the body shop prison!

Love the colors you chose. And I'm impressed you put in the windshield before driving it home.
I wanted a picture of you driving Murphy wearing your Red Baron scarf and goggles.... Laughing

---WildIdea

78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Ashamed? Wow man!

Murphy looks amazing! Great choice of blue and silver, in metallic to bring out all the form and curves. I can only hope that when I get my unnamed kid out of a paint shop that it looks close to as good as Murphy does.

And next to Big Emma, they are an awesome sight! You have a VERY happy garage! Pinch yourself all you want man. Congrats!

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: