Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My new Bus Murphy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Super job. What matters is that you like the colors you chose. I think it looks fantastic and am glad you get it done. Rust work takes forever and I would rather a shop take its time and not cut corners. It looks like they did good work in the repair and blocking sanding and paint.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Love the blue, and that's a nice accent along the belt line.
Keep trucking, getting closer every day.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Its been quite a while so I figured I dump some progress photos.

Many of you know that progress on my bus Murphy has taken a little back seat to getting Big Emma back on the road. That has been an all encompassing task for the previous several months.

Well – for the last 3 or 4 weeks, Emma has been off to dangle her toes in the Mexican waters with Sven, so Murphy and I have been getting better acquainted. I am trying not to bother everyone with a lot of the typical build stuff. If anyone wants to know what a huge pain it is to install interior front window scrapers, they don’t need to search yet another build thread to find it. So most of this will just be specifics to my particular bus. That's Big Emma's old pvc pipe roof rack back there too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is Murphy now. Most of the exterior stuff is all installed, and everything is legal now. I do still have a pesky small leak in the lower passenger corner of the windshield and at the top of the new Jalousie, But those will get resolved over time – and better weather. Nothing about the exterior is/was really out of the norm – except for a couple of body shop screw ups – Like adding small welds at the lower sides of the lower engine hatch patch. Those stuck down only about 3/8”, but the bumper brackets had to fit up flush – so I had to grind them off. Several of their good intentions just turned out to be a shit load more work for me – like “Why not just weld the passenger side seat belt bolt hole closed? It won’t be an issue. I’ll bet he’ll love that!”….. but oh yea – I love my bus.

At the front cockpit: swivel installed, Seats done, pedestal panels installed.
We are 3D printing the seat armrest bolt caps (red for Big Emma, Blue for Murphy)

I didn’t have any of the trim to secure the rear side of the pedestal pads – but luckily an old curtain rod from the dis-assembly was perfect. On the end, it even has the right little ‘swoosh’ to wrap the outside end of the pedestal. I used one old one and cut it in half – one half for each seat.

So far, I have really only worked on the cabinets from the bench to the back. The door and ceiling panels are out of Baltic Birch and all the cabinets are Cherry. This is my first real attempt at cabinets or any woodworking really, unless you count the ones for Big Emma that we have not yet finished. I was lucky in that I could cut a lot of the complicated curved parts and stuff with very specific geometry at the same time we did Big Emma’s cabinets or this would have taken much, much longer. I think it is really interesting that Big Emma and Murphy have very similar designs – in terms of the physical layouts and properties but almost opposite aesthetics. As a designer, I find this interesting.

I am using the old rock and roll seat hinges from Big Emma and gave her the new ones I bought, since Big Emma’s will be used about ten million more times than Murphy’s. I also intentionally made the bed a double bed size so we can get sheets, etc. more easily (not that it matters a whole lot) Below the bench is just one large space. I may divide it up later for specific stuff. The flooring is the same flooring we installed in Big Emma. It is some vinyl plank stuff from Home Depot.

This photo shows the bench with the passenger arm rest ‘closed’. The armrest has a removable top and currently is also just one large void inside for stuff. Over the winter when I made the interior panels, I augmented the one that goes here.

In the panel for the side of the armrest I crafted a small box that fits inside the X brace of the car body. It is on small pivot hinges and has a magnetic catch. About all that will fit inside it is a deck of cards, but I like it anyway and it filled several winter evenings. (And Yes – I DO know what else that compartment can be used for).

Here is the bench in bed mode to see the rear cabinets. We have not yet covered the back mattress.

There was not going to be any sort of head banger at all, but I wanted to hide some wiring and cover up the hatch torsion bar things, so I’m going to build a really shallow one. The base for it is in place in the photos, but the front is not done yet. It is only about 14” deep – front to back. please ignore the shims and loose bits. Its a work in progress and will be all cleaned up when we're done.

The passenger side cabinet run is about 5.5” wide and the drivers is/will be about 8.5” wide.

The passenger rear: It has an open ‘slot’ all along the bottom and a cabinet door on the back. I haven’t divided up this cabinet yet either. On the front is a dual usb/cigarette lighter outlet.

Driver’s side rear: This one is complicated by the fact that I wanted easy access to space in the spare wheel well. I made part of the cabinet so the top hinges up and both the front and bottom are removable. This makes it pretty easy. The front just slides ‘up’, and then lift out the bottom. In the photo, the panel for the bottom is the one with the little notch (to fit around the spare tire bracket).

The cabinet door hides the aux. fuse box and some other electronic bits. On the front of this cabinet is another dual usb/cigarette lighter, a 120V for shore power, and at the top, the small round thing is a touch dimmer switch for the lights that will be on the bottom of the head banger. The switch is more visible in the more overall photos. It’s about the size of a nickel.

I am sort on a forced bus activity hiatus due to some surgery, but next up are finishing the door panels and head liners with lighting, building and installing the remainder of the head banger, then the armrest cabinet on the driver’s side. The large side cabinet behind the driver’s seat is really large and complicated so we are having some friends help build those. I still have a lot of auxiliary wiring and projects to do like add a hot start rely, second battery with charging off the main battery, add a tach, cylinder head temp gauge,…. Uughhh . Then… then.. then….. does this shit ever end? (I hope not)

Here is where I am - currently
Enough for this dump.
Thanks for either real or for feigning interest.

I hope my post is impactful (thanks Colin)

Thanks
Andrew and the assistance crew consisting of Emma, Sven, Robbie and Colin….. with many thanks for parts and encouragement from everyone else – especially KentPS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Such a great looking bus!

Whats the silver/grey you used for the upper paint? So glad you did the white stripe too.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Quote:
Whats the silver/grey you used for the upper paint?

I don't have the actual paint codes handy - but I can get them if you want.
The Blue is a Chevy color and the silver is an Audi color.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Looking good buddy. Next time I’m in town I want to drive it. Cool

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Looking good. And no, I think it only ends when your creativity runs out. So, never... Just a big 'ol money and time dump.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Then… then.. then….. does this shit ever end? (I hope not)

As far as I can tell.....never. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Bus Murphy Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Looking good buddy. Next time I’m in town I want to drive it. Cool

Better get there quick. That bus hauled ass when it was empty. Not sure how fast it goes now... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: