Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

I'm in the midst of assembling a new used trans for my bus. After installing one of the side gears, thrust washers, and snap rings I decided to check the end play on the side gear. I'm at about .012 right now. The bus Bentley doesn't list a spec for this, other than saying to install the thickest washer that still allows the side gear to turn freely. I checked my T3 Bentley, and it lists .002-.008 as being the specified clearance. I'm using a 4.00mm thrust washer at the moment. There is one thicker one listed, 4.2mm, but I'm guessing these are long out of production.
I remember reading somewhere that 36hp flywheel shims could be used to tighten up this clearance. Anybody tried this method?
Will I run into trouble if I assemble things with .012" clearance??
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

Wayland wrote:

Will I run into trouble if I assemble things with .012" clearance??

Could only guess that you will have more gear noise and wear. How much over how long of distance would be the big question.
Personally would try the 36 HP FW shim trick between the snap ring and washer. Try a .010" first and .008" next.
Wayland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

Since I don't have any 36hp parts close at hand, I'm currently experimenting with grinding the outer dia of a 1600 flywheel shim down to fit. The inner dia is pretty much perfect. So far the results look promising.

Last edited by Wayland on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

Sounds great! Very Happy
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

According to the „owners workshop manual“ (a similar version is posted here, page 101: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2...manual.pdf)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

you should use a 4mm washer. Play is set with the gaskets and not with the washer. I just bought an expensive set of those washers and figured out I will not need them Rolling Eyes
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

This is what I use when it is too sloppy. This kit has a machined side washer, and a dozen or so shims to allow you a snug fit. My single cab used to break side gears until I shimmed it to zero lash with this kit.

http://www.geneberg.com/product_info.php?cPath=12_382_2915&products_id=1193
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Side Gear Thrust Washer Clearance Reply with quote

Like Eric& Barb said, put any shims between the circlip and thrust washer .. (ignoring the Berg instructions, which are only for "Poor Man's Posi").
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: