Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've searched and read many threads here with no luck to this specific question:

Does the VC oversized spare tire carrier accommodate a 215/60 R16 tire on a 7.5" wide rim? With or w/out reducing tire pressure? Any mods needed to make it fit?

I've got ot a matching spare now and would prefer to carry it under the front of the van.

Thanks.

The VC page...
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_348_129/oversized-spare-tire-carrier.html

Various inconclusive threads...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=522689
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509459
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477815
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333436&start=0
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=248213&highlight=spare+tire+carrier

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

For the correct answer to your question , why not call them direct tomorrow ??

What's a couple more hours?

Their answer would probably be the right one.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

You might find this information a little helpful:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659070&highlight=clam+shell
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Because sometimes an endless string of possibly incorrect information is more entertaining?

Great advice. I'll call them and report back.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
You might find this information a little helpful:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659070&highlight=clam+shell

Two very relevant posts in that one. I did not see it in my search.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Van Cafe says their carrier will NOT work with 16 X 7.5" alloy wheels.

Abscate wrote:

jtrashy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

mine worked with CLK 216/60/16. had to trim metal a bit and use a spacer and longer bolt ~3" to secure it. worked fine. tight fit tho
tikiman71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

My Van-Cafe oversized carrier did not work well on my rig using a 215/60/16 on a South African 16x7 wheel. It fit physically, but squeezed and restricted my coolant lines too much for my comfort. I went to a Mefro 16x6 and had no further problems. VC also sells silicone coolant lines specifically made to reduce interference with oversized spares. I related the info to Peter at VC and believe he added a note on the oversized carrier description. Cheers, Adam
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

jtrashy wrote:
mine worked with CLK 216/60/16. had to trim metal a bit and use a spacer and longer bolt ~3" to secure it. worked fine. tight fit tho

I believe that's a 7" wide rim so perhaps it has just a skosch more clearance than a 7 1/2" rim. I'll be working on this tomorrow. I've got a good wheel and tire that don't fit and a good 15" steel rim w/out a tire that would fit.

- I can buy a 15" tire, mount it on the steel rim and be done.
- Or, I can wrestle with the 16 x 7 1/2" alloy and the stock tire tray.

Option #2 sounds like twice the work with half the chance that it will work (most likely, after spending twice the money). Sounds like the Vanagon way. I'll report back soon.

Abscate wrote:

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

i have c class merc wheels 215 65 16 on the van cafe spare carrier, fit's just fine, maybe the wheels are 7j x 16, i thought they were 7.5j x 16
they fit fine under lucy, and i tried the same carrier under burni, it works just fine, although i'm kind of thinking i may go 215 70 16 with burni, so i need to find a tire to try, before buying over $1k of rubber

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Closing the loop...

I couldn't get the 16" x 7.5" wheel with 215/60 tire to fit the stock tray (no surprise there) and didn't care to monkey with modifying it so I took Van Cafe's recommendation to use the OEM spare wheel with a proper reinforced sidewall 185-14" tire. Tire diameters are very close so that's not a problem.

The only shortcoming is that if I get a flat on the front I'll need to rotate a 16" wheel from the rear to fit over the big brakes.

This solution is simple, effective, low-cost and works well for me and my 2WD. FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Closing the loop...

I couldn't get the 16" x 7.5" wheel with 215/60 tire to fit the stock tray (no surprise there) and didn't care to monkey with modifying it so I took Van Cafe's recommendation to use the OEM spare wheel with a proper reinforced sidewall 185-14" tire. Tire diameters are very close so that's not a problem.

The only shortcoming is that if I get a flat on the front I'll need to rotate a 16" wheel from the rear to fit over the big brakes.

This solution is simple, effective, low-cost and works well for me and my 2WD. FWIW, YMMV.

I'm using a 6 x 15 Mercedes steel wheel for my spare with a 205/70-15 tire on it. It clears the Audi big brakes up front, though I need to use a spacer to get the wheel weights to clear the upper A-arm.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

I dont think the tire size is the problem. I bought a 6.5" wide 16" rim for my spare and it fits if you put a 1/2" spacer under the clamshell bolt.
Cant remember the tire size exactly as I treat it as a emergency "donut" spare
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
I dont think the tire size is the problem. I bought a 6.5" wide 16" rim for my spare and it fits if you put a 1/2" spacer under the clamshell bolt.
Cant remember the tire size exactly as I treat it as a emergency "donut" spare

I believe you're correct. The dude at Van Cafe balked once he heard I had 7.5" wide alloys (GW rims). I didn't have a 16 x 6.5" rim so I put a good tire on the 14" rim I did own. I'll treat it as an emergency donut too.

Abscate wrote:

Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Hi,

This isn’t related exclusively to the van cafe spare, more to getting a full size spare to fit using the existing clamshell (I searched and didn’t see anything so I apologize in advance if this is already somewhere)

I just updated my wheels and tires to CLK 320 with 215/60R16 Nokian tires. I’d like to carry the full size spare under the nose. Does anyone have any experience using this extension kit from BenT Syncro?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/emailad.php?id=1927581
My questions are,
what length do I need to get to make it work?
I’m assuming I just need to cut off the piece between the hinges.
Do I need to remove the black wire tire holders above the tire that help prevent damage/pinching to the coolant pipes/steering parts?
Any other tips?

I’m heading out on a trip early July so I’m hoping to get this done and ready to carry the full size.

Thank you,
Marty
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

I don't have the answer you seek but here are a few threads you may or may not have seen...with more links inside going back to the dark ages.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587367
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=505885
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=587209

Abscate wrote:

truepaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

I've been working with a similar conundrum with my 2WD 1986 Westy, so here goes. From what I've read, the CLK combo into the clamshell may or may not work, and it ends up getting decided on a case-by-case basis. It's tight enough that variations between vans (van years?_) makes a difference.

When I purchased my van, its full-sized, CLK 320 wheel with 215/65R16 tire was nicely tucked in under the nose. The previous owner had installed U-bolts, and a longer clamshell front bolt, but the front latch remained stock. After removing the spare and returning it to place, I snugged the front bolt too tight, thinking this was "right." The tire thus pushed the power steering hose up against the steering shaft -- ouch. I discovered the error in time, so the damage was limited to a slight deformation of the hose. At this point, I purchased and installed the large (2") extension kit from BenT Syncro. If nothing else, this ensures I don't over-tighten the front bolt!

So, to your questions...
... what length do I need to get to make it work? ....... Try the largest.
... cut off the piece between the hinges? ........... I don't know. Whatever works.
... remove the black wire tire holders ? ............Yes.

... Any other tips?

1. In my case, the PO removed the shifter enclosure box -- I assume to provide more space. You *can* run a manual transmission without it. I don't know if I recommend it, but how desperate are you to make this work? Shocked
I've learned to drive it this way, but I may reverse this mod. The shifter rod can contact the coolant hoses if you're not careful, and I don't like the long-term prospects of this.
Update: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9749039#9749039

2. Crunch together a ball of aluminum foil and put it in place above your tire to test how much free space there is between the tire and the steering shaft and coolant hoses. Adjust accordingly.

3. Test everything and make sure you can move the spare in and out when you need to. For now, I've decided I can't -- it's too hard for me (physically) to get all the pieces aligned and the spare nestled in where it needs to be. It may have worked for PO, but not me. Frustrating, but so be it. I may go for a doughnut spare, but I'm still trying to find a more elegant solution.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Martian-mart wrote:
Hi,

Any other tips?

As above's 1,2,3 indeed do these.

I did cut my clam pan down and drop it at the back using u bolts. I run 215/60/16's on a C class Merc rim.

I had new tires mounted on my 5 Merc rims a couple years back, and it was difficult to get the spare up the first time. I used a 2 inch wrist pin around a longer bolt up front to allow the front of the pan to be a bit lower, and still be able to snug it up. I did not get the safety latch extension.

Here is the skinny;

when I was at home, and could eyeball all of this stuff, making sure not to be pinching the hoses, etc, I became confidant that everything was okay. But, I have had the unfortunate experience of having to get the spare out, and put the tire it was replacing back in the clam without the luxury of being able to look carefully at the hoses after struggling for 10 sweaty minutes to get it back in.

This is the reason folks go with a rear tire carrier, or an alternative stock location cage meant for larger tires. Getting back up to speed after a tire replacement only to find your radiator hose blocked is a real problem.

I'd think seriously about how little brain power you can devote to your 'mod' clam shell when you are on the side of a busy road, just trying to get out of there... It just doesn't pay to break something else after already needing to do an emergency job. That is when you can really get hurt, or hurt someone else very badly or worse.
Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. After posted the same question on the Facebook forum, I was informed about Small Cars full size spare

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/wheel-tire-brake-and-...ver-spare/

While I really like the rear tire carrier, I wanted to avoid it to not add extra weight to the rear, the drivers side, and not drill into the body. So I went with this spare. It’s actually the same tire I have Nokian Entyre 2, but in a 205 vs 215, and it fits!

I did tightened the bolt holding the clamshell closed all the way, so I need to look into what was mentioned about pinching things. I did do a photo up there and don’t see anything more than the coolant hoses contacting a little. Unless anyone has any reason not to, I’m going to put a little flex tape or something similar over my coolant lines where they touch the tire to protect from any wear.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Martian-mart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Does the Van Cafe oversized spare work w/ 215/60 R16? Reply with quote

Looking at my last photo. Once the t-storms pass I’ll go out and crawl under and see if the shift rod is actually touching the tire and being affected. It’s looks like it’s touching on the photo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: