Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Cab Advice?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a Vanagon Single Cab. That said, I don't know jack about them!

Originally, I was going to buy a splitwindow SC, but now I have decided I want a newer Vanagon version. I already own a 1966 split bus, currently in the middle of a restoration.

I really like the bed style with the fold down gates, and find the design to be quite utilitarian. Also, I think the Vanagon will just be a bit safer than a splitwindow, and possibly less trouble mechanically.

The truck will be used mostly around town for material pick-ups for home improvement projects. That said, I'm not looking for a beater, I want something that is solid mechanically and aesthetically.

I'm just looking to buy a standard, not a Syncro version.

My Questions are:

Any pros/cons of certain years and or models? Engines?

I live in California, will I have any luck finding a standard in the states, or should I consider looking for one in Europe? I did find a few in Europe, but shipping is around $1,500-$2,000, and there are probably more hidden fees.

What are common areas of failure on the body? Mechanically what should I look for?

What is a realistic amount I can expect to pay for a running, non rust-bucket truck?

Is there anyone willing to allow me to PM them through Samba with any trucks I find for sale, so I can inquire if it is a good deal on the asking price?

Thank you for any and all responses.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Big Nate made a single cab with the rear window from a 61' split if memory serves me correctly. The build has to be in the internet somewhere. He used an 84-85 vanagon, it turned out beautiful.

You may be able to build one cheaper than finding an original. In my split days the truck gates were rare, I'd imagine same thing for the vanagon.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Big Nate from wagenswest in Salem Oregon!
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

You can check with Jeff Schwaia at Autostadt West who imports sinkas, dokas, panels, etc. from Euro.

You can begin doing for sale searches in Canada and the US using google, ebay, the samba and craigslist.

The production years reflect that of the vanagon bus in terms of engines and etc. 1986 and later had the stock 2.1L with some exceptions.

The vanagons as a whole didn't rust quite as quickly as the air-coolers of yore but specimens from certain regions both in NA and Euro can be quite rusty where they used a lot of road salt.

Body design and issues are similar to that on the Bay and Splittie sinkas. Payloads are the same. The vanagon, by virtue of being newer, simply has a few more comforts plus a waterboxer engine with more hp. The suspension is dramatically different (better) from that in a splittie.

The vanagon is safer, mechanical trouble depends on the care and upkeep of previous owners. The engine and electronic components are more complex than on the splitties but not a huge learning curve.

Value is always hard to nail down. You may be looking at $10k-$15k for a clean 2wd one. Again ask Jeff (above) what's out there and the going rates. The popularity of vanagon sinkas in the US has grown considerably in the past ten years.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

The biggest problem to look for is rust anywhere around the bed of either the crew cab or single cab.
These trucks were never sold in America and getting replacement tin for the bed is difficult, and very tough to replace. Rust seems to plague these bodies.

Remember that you are not buying a run of the mill truck. These are collector/hobbyist vehicles.

Because these came from the european market you will find many are diesel. The older diesels are pretty slow, newer ones will be a 1.6t which is still fairly meek, but many have been replaced with the stronger AAZ turbo engines.

I used to own a double cab, I loved the layout of the VW truck with it's drop side gates and the locked tool storage (treasure chest). A very neat setup and rare, you will get lots of looks and attention.
Detroit was very afraid of the success VW was having with the early versions of these trucks and got their pet politicians to pass the "chicken tax" (look it up), that's why VW stopped importing/selling these in America.
Good luck.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/laval-ri...nFlag=true
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:
Wow!
Thats an hour from me...
Its an inline 4 engine in it, don't know which one.
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Thank you to everyone who posted for all of the responses, information, and advice.

Man...I had to go searching for this thread, you guys in the Vanagon forum are active!

I contacted Jeff and I'm waiting to hear back if he knows of anyone selling or has any available.

I also have communicated with Busman in Belgium. He seems very knowledgeable and has provided to me good information. He comes recommended by Samba members. Ideally, I would rather not import one from Europe, but they do seem plentiful there. Also, the prices are much cheaper, but once you factor in all of the costs to get one here to the USA, it might be the same as buying one here in N. America.

The red one in Canada looks good. Any idea of my costs to import it into the USA, minus the freight charges? I'm talking import taxes and all the other hidden fees. I've never imported a car to the USA from another country.

I also came across another one in Canada that looks clean, so I'm interested in knowing if anyone has bought from Canada.

I have a dump question about the red truck in Canada. Did the owner just put plywood over the bed and gates on the inside? That wood could be removed and the corrugated metal on the bed and gates would still be present?

Also, I figured out the early models of these were aircooled. Does anyone know the first year it was watercooled?

I looked at one yesterday and was talking to Busman about it and he told me that the 1980 was aircooled, so I definitely want to stay away from AC versions....My apologies, I''m a total novice and don't know much about these trucks.

Thanks for the help.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Watercooling became an option in late 81 model year vehicles when diesel engines were offered. Aircooled was still in the mix until mid 83 model year. After mid 83 all were watercooled, gas and diesel. In Europe sellers generally use the calendar year produced in rather than the model year that VW assigns it.

Mark

Spitty1974 wrote:
.......Also, I figured out the early models of these were aircooled. Does anyone know the first year it was watercooled?

I looked at one yesterday and was talking to Busman about it and he told me that the 1980 was aircooled, so I definitely want to stay away from AC versions....My apologies, I''m a total novice and don't know much about these trucks.

Thanks for the help.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

I do not know anything about the vehicle listed or if this is a value, but reading the recent remarks in the other single cab thread (in which the purchaser had to pay the 25% chicken tax (to import from Canada), compared to the 2.5% tax they were expecting) maybe this falls into a good deal category.

Anyways, here's the ad in Olalla WA, $19.5k asking price:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/cto/5638674936.html
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

The Olalla, WA Sinka was $27.5k a few months ago. Quite the price drop. Probably still too high.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

That would be a sweet $15k truck. I've been drooling over it for the last several months it's been on CL

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:
SteveMc wrote:
Wow!
Thats an hour from me...
Its an inline 4 engine in it, don't know which one.

In the ad it says its a 1.8L from a scirocco
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Samba user syncrozilla might still have a single cab for sale in california? Good price too as i remember.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

Not a Sinka but fancy...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1944883

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Single Cab Advice? Reply with quote

I had to go to California for mine where I was told it was imported and spent it's life on a frenchman's farm in Cali right up to the year he traded it to a AC guy who sold it to me.
It's a 1.6 diesel (slooooow) Cool
best of luck to your search!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: